Talk

Advanced search

*sigh* Another disappointing purchase....

(33 Posts)
LetThemEatCake Wed 07-Oct-09 16:22:20

I have been after a plaid shirt-dress for a while now, with buttons for bfing, so I ordered this and it is so not worth £79!!! It's going straight back. It really is, as the name suggests, a long shirt - not nearly dress-like enough for my liking and the cotton is really quite thin, not really winter-appropriate.

Anyway, given the massive price difference - and given the fact that I just want something practical with a bit of colour, I think I might order this Uniqlo one Have never bought from them before, any input re sizes/ quality/ fit??

geordieminx Wed 07-Oct-09 16:43:38

No idea as they dont have them up here, but was going to suggest New Look, as tthey had loads in last week.

Off to NYC on Friday - got list - dkny cosy, converse, uggs, 7 for all mankind jeans, and victorias secret. grin

Rubyrubyruby Wed 07-Oct-09 16:47:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NancyBotwin Wed 07-Oct-09 16:52:53

I'm normally a 12ish and I got a long cardigan from them last year in an L - but then I wanted it for wearing over at least one layer (almost like a light coat)

sweetheart Wed 07-Oct-09 16:57:44

www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId= 20552&storeId=12552&categoryId=88625&parent_category_rn=88619&productId=1403037&langId=-1

I have just brought this - it's very comfy and much cheaper than your first one.

treaclespongeofdeath Wed 07-Oct-09 16:59:26

I have one of Uniqlo's plaid shirts - think they're the same material as the shirt-dresses which is a lovely brushed cotton, quite thick. The fit is really good as well. I love mine so much I might have to go and buy another one...

Bleh Wed 07-Oct-09 17:10:52

I also hate that they never show the whole picture, apart from in thumb nails.

Uniqlo, if you're reading this, SORT IT OUT

squeaver Wed 07-Oct-09 17:15:41

I saw those in store the other day and was actually quite tempted. Quality v good from Uniqlo. Sizing slightly on the large side ime.

geordieminx Wed 07-Oct-09 17:18:23

not plaid but lovely

treaclespongeofdeath Wed 07-Oct-09 17:21:14

Bleh, if you click on the zoom button you can play around with the sizing so that you can see the whole thing at once - although you do have to make it bigger and then smaller again which seems a bit daft.

BobtheWoodmouse Wed 07-Oct-09 17:27:38

I'm a big fan of Uniqlo, the sizing tends to be generous but every now and again, they will come up small, sorry not much help.

The dresses/knits look on the short side to my eyes when I've been to the store (and thinking about my grim legs)

The quality is excellent for the price.

If you want to see the item properly, click on it, then use the 'zoom' function until you get the full picture on the screen. I wish they would show the clothes on models or even mannequins, twould be very helpful.

I have been living in their cashmere tops (their own stuff, not the pricier +J range) and cords. I haven't worn cords for about 20 years - I can't bear to parted from them now - so comfortable compared to jeans - they are very fine needlecord - like thin velvet, not big furrow-y stripes. The tops are coming up small on me and the cords large if that helps with the sizing, I'm blaming my hormones - turning me into a brick-shape. sad

MorrisZapp Wed 07-Oct-09 17:34:07

Back in the grunge era we used to buy our plaid shirts (to be worn open, over Pixies t-shirts) from Millets the camping shop smile

dexter73 Wed 07-Oct-09 20:10:04

I saw the plaid shirts in the shop and they looked very nice - a thick brushed cotton. And it is pink!
MorrisZapp - I had a lovely Pixies t-shirt that I lived in for about 2 years. Think my mum must have chucked it out as it mysteriously disappeared!

MaggieBehave Wed 07-Oct-09 20:15:52

i saw something similar in tesco for about 12euro. It will look @omg so over' in about ten minutes so don't spend a lot.

MaggieBehave Wed 07-Oct-09 20:16:50

that dotty p one is much nicer. v nice.

JamInMyWellies Wed 07-Oct-09 21:10:12

Ooh I like the dottyP check one now is that a shirt or a dress thick tights or leggings?

LetThemEatCake Wed 07-Oct-09 23:08:19

nice one - cheers all. Will give the Uniqlo a go.
smile

should I get some l/s tees while I'm at it? any good? long enough in body etc? (bear in mind have just had baby so am wary of muffin toppage....)

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 07-Oct-09 23:53:27

Their T-shirts are lovely.

I'm wearing one now. They are quite long in the body compared to others I've got and I can wear them with low rise jeans without bearing my stomach to the world. I've washed them with no shrinkage so far either.

I keep meaning to order some more.

I'm a 12-14 and got a medium which fits finesmile

LetThemEatCake Thu 08-Oct-09 07:13:16

brilliant. Thanks 'saurus.
smile

PVish Thu 08-Oct-09 07:53:58

I looked at the FCUK one
it really does look like.. well crap in rl

PVish Thu 08-Oct-09 07:55:50

dont get the red of the UNiqlo
it has the air of wearing your pj top a la COle!

fishie Thu 08-Oct-09 08:38:54

i tried on the uniqlo shirt dress it was highly unflattering on me but i believe you are tall and thin ltec so should be ok.

uniqlo colours are always slightly strange.

Rubyrubyruby Thu 08-Oct-09 08:48:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PVish Thu 08-Oct-09 08:57:00

i went into the store recently after its move/revamp/

its really hard to understand what is going ON in there. No signs, no departements/sections iykwim.
instead Oxford st had a furious small ginger man strutting around like Rumpelstiltskin in clicky heels and a man and a woman arguing in a stock room about "what the fuck she was replenning"

Then an assistant told a man off for sitting oon the edge of a display table.

fishie Thu 08-Oct-09 11:12:29

ruby you have to buy the heat tech as soon as it appears, sells out fast.

pv i prefer regent street branch, ox st flagship is well odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now