Talk

Advanced search

Would it be a good idea to try and dye the lovely cream coat I bought in last years Monsoon sale?

(11 Posts)
KnickersandVests Wed 07-Oct-09 12:20:40

It's a sort of swing style and has a really nice collar, it's 70% wool and I really like it but I hardly got any wear out it last year because after a few wears it it gets dirty and having to dry clean it every week just isn't affordable or feasible.

I know I was probably mad to buy but I did and now I want to get some use out of it so I was thinking I could dye it or maybe have it dyed, professionally, to make sure a good job was done, I definitely don't want it to come out patchy and ruined!

Where could I have it dyed to make sure a good job was done and how much do you think it would cost?

I was thinking of charcoal grey BTW.

Pannacotta Wed 07-Oct-09 16:36:30

I would give it a try, I have dyed lots of things and they often come out well.
I found this via google
studios92.com/guide/garment_dyeing.htm and I know there are others, am sure Trinny and Susannah mention somewhere in one of their books...

Pannacotta Wed 07-Oct-09 16:41:20

Sorry just noticed that place wont dye wool, but I know you can dye wool, or at least I thought you could...

mwff Wed 07-Oct-09 16:42:20

what's the other 30%? hmm

wool dyes beautifully with food colouring and vinegar

mwff Wed 07-Oct-09 16:43:10

you do have to boil it though is the coat on the big side by any chance? grin

Pannacotta Wed 07-Oct-09 16:45:03

Cant you do a cold hand dye for wool mix?

WHy not email Dylon and ask them, they are pretty helpful IME.

www.dylon.co.uk/help.html

mwff Wed 07-Oct-09 16:47:24

dylon cold is for plant fibres afaik, wool needs an acid dye.

mwff Wed 07-Oct-09 16:48:47

btw unless coat is washable any form of dying wouldn't be advisable - you have to get it wet.

Pannacotta Wed 07-Oct-09 17:27:00

It says on the Dylon link above that wool needs hand fabric dye.

If you call/email Dylon they can advise you.

KnickersandVests Wed 07-Oct-09 17:51:17

The coat is-

70% wool
19% nylon
7% acrylic
2% viscose
2% polyester

-and is dry clean only which is why I was thinking it might be better to take it to dry cleaners and see if they do it. They do alterations don't they, do they do dying as well?

BonjourIvresse Thu 08-Oct-09 12:06:31

Only if you want a tie dye coat, I'd buy a new coat and leep it as your best going out coat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now