(35 Posts)
sarah293 Wed 07-Oct-09 08:32:28

Message withdrawn

MissAnnesley Wed 07-Oct-09 08:34:06

Whoever said that about your cardi was vv rude. shock

sarah293 Wed 07-Oct-09 08:41:48

Message withdrawn

Eve4Walle Wed 07-Oct-09 08:55:25

I never understand the no black boots with jeans thing. What colour boots are you meant to wear then? Brown? But surely then the rest of your outfit must be brown too?

Sagacious Wed 07-Oct-09 08:59:34

I thought it was cod

[runs]

notyummy Wed 07-Oct-09 09:00:54

It mostly a load of old rubbish.

There are (or should be) common sense rules:

Don't wear an all white outfit on a day out with toddlers

Don't wear cripplingly high heels on a day out with toddlers, therefore being unable to run after them

Don't make the world look at the bits that are best veiled (i.e my arse in leggings needs something to cover it...)

MmeGoblindt Wed 07-Oct-09 09:02:32

I have never heard of the black boots with blue jeans thing except in UK. Actually now that I think about it, only on MN.

I also wear black with brown <rebel>

My mum always got my dad to wear the same colour of shoes as the trousers he was wearing. Lovely, grey slip on shoes with grey trousers, beige with beige.

sarah293 Wed 07-Oct-09 09:06:13

Message withdrawn

fishie Wed 07-Oct-09 09:07:36

it is the clompy black ankle boot with the ill fitting jeans which is Not Nice. not black / brown / blue worn together per se, which can look great.

today i am wearing brown boots, dark blue jeans and a purple top (i don't wear black at all). i've got quite long hair too.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 07-Oct-09 09:08:18

I'm always amazed, often shocked, by the way the 'rules' are dispensed on MN.

The ageism (quite apart from anything else) is shocking.

Who says you have to wear something with something else, or this colour with that colour? If you like it, wear what the bloody hell you want.

<fuming emoticon>

notyummy Wed 07-Oct-09 09:09:29

Riven, selling yourself far too short, no??

sarah293 Wed 07-Oct-09 09:10:53

Message withdrawn

MissAnnesley Wed 07-Oct-09 09:11:12

Ten years ago everyone would have been shock at the clashy / 80s stuff which is current atm.

Is wotchoo want.

LadyFoof Wed 07-Oct-09 09:11:15

I wear what suits me. Sod the 'rules'. If you feel good, you look good, life is soooo too short to care if the fashion skanks are judging you.

Rubyrubyruby Wed 07-Oct-09 09:13:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LetThemEatCake Wed 07-Oct-09 09:32:26

No way in hell am I lopping my locks in 3 years when I turn 40. I have a pin head and would look ridiculous.

Anyway, no double denim has always been a 'rule' that I've vigorously adhered to. Now, everyone says that double denim is like, sooooo, now. Bollocks. Still looks shite.

Rubyrubyruby Wed 07-Oct-09 09:34:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Heathcliffscathy Wed 07-Oct-09 09:38:11

no black boots with jeans is NOT a rule.

vis every single one of them in black shoes with indigo denim

Heathcliffscathy Wed 07-Oct-09 09:38:59

anyway the truly fashion forward (barf) throw the rulebook out don't they. the rules are for the benefit of those that don't have that kind of confidence.

thus the rules aren't really rules at all. and they change every season.

Oh I just wanted to tell those Gap models to stand up straight.

I'm with Ruby - you make the rules, or possibly Shakin' Stevens.

My current rule is that it is perfectly okay to still be in your PJs at nearly ten o'clock.

deepdarkwood Wed 07-Oct-09 09:49:03

No black boots with jeans? Wtf are you meant to wear with jeans then? Brown? Odd.

TsarChasm Wed 07-Oct-09 09:54:23

Some of the style threads are quite er enthusiatic in saying this or that is a must have/must wear item.

But when I look at the link, often I can't for the life of me see what the big deal is. Some of it it just plain awful imo but because it's from whichever reverred shop of the moment everyone loves it and the huge price tag.

So I slink away wondering why I just don't 'get' it.

CheeeseOnToast Wed 07-Oct-09 09:55:54

that gap site is weird sophable - looks like a photograph in Harry Potter

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 07-Oct-09 09:55:59

You and me both, TsarChasm

TsarChasm Wed 07-Oct-09 10:02:32

It's funny because I do love clothes and fashion, but not at any cost, either in price or looking terrible in it just because it's 'in'.

I am astounded at what some are willing to pay for say, a bag. I know it's their money - absolutely right; but even so it shocks me sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now