Talk

Advanced search

Can i get away with this at nearly 40?

(13 Posts)
mackerel Wed 07-Oct-09 08:14:47

thinking about a white Stuff dress, pair of thicker leggings and boots.Now this look reminds me of my student days 20 years ago shock and i wonder if I'll look like mutton dressed as lamb and that in my desperation to not reach 40 |I'm panicking and trying to recreate my youth. I don't want to lok tragic. I'm a size 12, 5ft 6 not bad legs - midthigh down! 4 babies though so not exactly flat tummied. What do you think?

notyummy Wed 07-Oct-09 08:17:57

Sounds alright to me - as long as the dress is not too clingy on the bits you would rather not highlight. Do you have a link to the dress?

I would wear a combo like that btw, and I am nearly 38, so close in age.

BonsoirAnna Wed 07-Oct-09 08:19:23

Sounds fine if you are slim. The difficulty with getting older is mostly being too fat for the outfits you would have looked good in in your youth.

I know a 70 year old with a terrific figure. She wears all the latest fashions and looks great!

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 07-Oct-09 08:22:32

If you like it and it suits you, then why not?

mackerel Wed 07-Oct-09 08:27:11

Sorry shockingly incompetent on the pc and haven't mastered links. It's a sort of a-line number. take the point re. figure. will have to go and check it out at the shops i think. I really envy DH the ability to have 4 wonderful children without any effects on his body!

fishie Wed 07-Oct-09 08:37:16

mackerel you do these [[ ]]then copy the link you want to paste in between. it is super easy and we cnanot possibly comment without seeing it and there is tons of white stuff there.

SkaterGrrrrl Wed 07-Oct-09 12:27:57

Yes of course you can! Dont listen to ageist tosh about what you "may" wear after 40. My 60 year old stepmum wore an off the shoulder dress to my wedding, she looked sensational.

I bet you will look great!

snowmummy Wed 07-Oct-09 12:34:20

I'm also pushing 40 and I'd wear what you describe. It sounds lovely.

mollyroger Wed 07-Oct-09 12:41:44

I'm 39 and that is my staple look.

LadyoftheBathtub Wed 07-Oct-09 12:45:24

I'm also almost 40 and I would. I think with white stuff tunic style dresses though, be careful about the length and check how you look from behind - some are slightly longer than others. With leggings I'd opt for longer so as not to have that baggy leggings bum effect drooping down below the hem. Nothing to do with age though just my leggings tip!

Sourdough Wed 07-Oct-09 12:54:27

I think White Stuff is intended for women our age rather than students. I would say more than likely wholly appropriate. I have a lovely White Stuf tunic-y dress that I wore over jeans with suede wedge sandals. DD1 said I looked like a 'soccer mom'. (Don't know if that was a compliment or not)

mackerel Thu 08-Oct-09 14:25:05

Thanks everyone. you've given me a bit of much needed confidence. Will go shopping next week.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 08-Oct-09 17:12:10

Def try on the white stuff tunic first. I have one I bought online and it's not quite long enough (as LadyoftheBathtub said) and is also a bit clingy on the midriff (not a good look for me).

I'm a similar and size to you and I think as long as the tunic is long enough and not tooooooo clingy (jersey is no longer my friend sad) then that is definitely a good look for you.

Know what you mean about it feeling like re-wearing outfits from our youth though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now