Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have any really good tips/products for very greasy skin?

(15 Posts)
thatsnotmymonster Mon 05-Oct-09 13:28:20

Am fed up of having a shiney face all the time!!

If I don't use moisturiser my skin gets all tight and flaky but still shiney!

I have tried all kinds of moisturisers, powders and foundation but none seem to work.

I am going on a night out on Friday and just want one night out where my face isn't all shiney.

My skin is quite good but I look tired if I don't wear a little makeup but if I do wear make up the shininess gets worse.

What can I do?

DoNotGoGently Mon 05-Oct-09 13:42:09

I have greasy skin and find that Benefit's Dr Feelgood keeps my skin matt all day.

MadreInglese Mon 05-Oct-09 13:44:04

I have oily shiny skin and find that using Simple moisturiser and Clinique makeup seems to help reduce it quite a bit

thatsnotmymonster Mon 05-Oct-09 14:26:05

Oh thanks. I have tried Clinique before and Simple definitely doesn't help!

I might try the Benefit stuff. I know Benefit are expensive but I have had their liquid blusher- rosy cheeks- thing before and it is fab!

MrsBadger Mon 05-Oct-09 14:47:59

don't touch clinique skincare with a bargepole - their toner stuff is so harsh it strips your skin completely and it overcompensates by getting even oilier. Their Gentle Light Makeup is pretty good if you need foundation though. Dr Feelgood is goo dunder makeup too

using a harsh cleanser and no moisturiser does the same thing - dries it out so it re-greases in no time

I like the teenage skin type ranges - Johnsons Clean & Clear do a good oil-free moisturiser.

toffeeapple Mon 05-Oct-09 16:11:01

I used to have greasy skin, and now it's mat.
All I use on it now is.... OIL.
As strange as it might seem, oil absorbs oil and somehow it rebalances the skin.
Trust me it works, you will no longer look like a mirror!!
In fact a lot of ladies on mumsnet can tell you they've tried it, check out this link

mathanxiety Mon 05-Oct-09 19:24:05

I do the oil thing too. Hardly any shine smile. If one oil doesn't work, try another. Grapeseed did the trick for me.

madwomanintheattic Mon 05-Oct-09 19:28:11

third for oil cleansing routine grin

i use rocky mountain soap company stuff but it's expensive.

i've spent years trying different stuff to get rid of the shine - it's only recently ive realised that my skin is actually quite dry (yours sounds similar) and so all the matt/ oil/ grease products have been exacerbating the problem.

i use a mineral based powder which isn't bad, but as my skin produces less oil now the make-up isn't such an issue.

littlerach Mon 05-Oct-09 19:29:58

I've started using Ultra Bland by Lush and it has made a differnce.

ruddynorah Mon 05-Oct-09 19:34:03

yup, oil cleansing method here too. been doing it about 6 months now. always used to have a shiny face, greasy patch on my forehead, blackheads down my nose. always wore loads of make up to try to mask all this.

now i just rub olive oil into my face, hold a hot flannel against it, then wipe the oil away with the flannel. hey presto. dreamy skin grin

moocowme Mon 05-Oct-09 19:38:40

put some milk of magnesia on under your makeup. you can buy it in the supermarket for stomach problems. but you can put it on your skin to help it stop making more oil. obviously you just put it on very thin. it does seem to work very well on very oily skin.

mathanxiety Mon 05-Oct-09 19:47:50

Get the original version of milk of magnesia, without mineral oil.

BonjourIvresse Mon 05-Oct-09 20:08:17

I love dermalogica but its a bit pricy.

triffictits Mon 05-Oct-09 22:44:20

I've tried everything to get rid of my shiney face - clinique, dermalogica, chanel,benefit, estee lauder.

The only thing that works for me is origins matt moisturiser and shine free cleanser - it really does work imo.

pispirispis Tue 06-Oct-09 10:59:44

Another vote for the oil cleansing method - it really is amazing.

I have oily skin, blackheads, a bit of acne, and I have tried so many products. I've been doing the oil cleansing method now for a few months and it keeps my skin matte all day, even my nose shock Blackheads and spots are much better too. And it's so cheap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now