Talk

Advanced search

perms... what do you think?

(16 Posts)
fircone Mon 05-Oct-09 12:26:25

There's a notice in the hairdresser's asking for "models" (victims) for permanent waves.

Now, the last time I had a perm was in 1989 and it was not good. Think Charles II.

But... my hair is long and lanky and I'm imagining thick waves I can scoop up into a casual top knot and be all ethereal.

Should I give a perm a try or do I need a reality check?

Curiousmama Mon 05-Oct-09 12:34:44

perms aren't what they used to be. I'm a hairstylist but prefer to cut and colour.
If you do go for a perm you'll find they'll do it in loose curls and the weight of the length will probably stop it from being too curly. Was it more layered in '89?

You can always go in and have a consultation with them and see how you feel after that?

div22c Mon 05-Oct-09 13:58:24

Ooh I've been considering one of those. I guess most people might consider them old and out of fashion, but my hair refuses to fall all sleek and shiny and straight for more than a day. Hoping a perm would mean easier maintenance. So where was this sign...anywhere close to Woking?

Curiousmama Mon 05-Oct-09 15:06:10

div22c what about a college? Or ringing decent salons and asking if they need a perm model?

fircone Mon 05-Oct-09 16:38:12

I think I'll go in and do as you say, Curiousmama, and ask what this perm consists of. If I see in my mind's eye a shaggy layered 80s do, I shall then run a mile.

zanz1bar Mon 05-Oct-09 18:13:34

Noooooooooooo

Just step away, breathe deeply turn around and go home.

SqueezyCheesyPumpkin Mon 05-Oct-09 18:16:17

Only if it is big loose curls or like that woman from Hotel Inspector (although I think hers is natural).

zanz1bar Mon 05-Oct-09 18:16:56

I had a few perms in my time, always with the hope I would have wavy locks (think madonna in ray of light) but ended up with 80's Angie from Eastenders.

fircone Mon 05-Oct-09 18:54:17

That's exactly my fear, zanz1bar. I shall step away...

Spottyotter Mon 05-Oct-09 22:33:14

I want one too. When I asked my hairdresser who I trust implicitly, may I add, he just laughed.

Curiousmama Mon 05-Oct-09 22:39:25

Have you thought of changing your style? It's amazing what a good haircut can do. I always think if it looks good washed without anything done to it then it's a good cut. I aim to cut hair this way and all good hairstylists should too IMO.

Sometimes a total change and maybe a colour change too (can be subtle) can really do wonders. I'm a big fan of colour.

div22c Thu 08-Oct-09 11:37:34

Thanks for the suggestion CuriousMama - will put it off for a while though as I have a family wedding coming up, and dont feel like taking the risk.
Agree totally about good haircut needing nothing. Have been trying for years to get a good haircut that can stand on its own two feet with no products, straighteners, fancy blow drying etc (yes I know, I belong in the 18th century, siggghhh). With chin length hair that is straight in parts and stubbornly wavy in others, it's been a failure so far. Till now I have been going down the straightening route (not too successfully!), thought a perm might 'absorb' the natural wave (where it exists). Maybe a look from the 80s wont be so bad!

BiteOfFun Thu 08-Oct-09 11:42:16

Have you got any suggestions about how to find a stylist who will do a good job of cutting curly hair, Curiousmama?

Rubyrubyruby Thu 08-Oct-09 11:44:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rubyrubyruby Thu 08-Oct-09 11:45:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlyingMonkey Thu 08-Oct-09 13:38:22

This says it all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now