Talk

Advanced search

I want to wear my navy blue silk summer dress in autumn/winter.....how can I make it work?

(24 Posts)
tulpe Sat 03-Oct-09 19:16:54

I have Cacharel summer dress very similar loose fit to this one except the waist is lower on mine (more like a 20's style flapper dress) and finishes literally just above the knee. It is silk georgette - so a matte finish rather than sheeny like the one here.

I would love to layer it up to wear in the winter. I was thinking a navy long sleeve tee beneath (which I have) and perhaps a cardigan?

However, what other colours would go with for winter? I have considered grey but wonder if it is too school uniform-ish? Brown? Black?

What colour opaques? Is black and navy okay? If you go for navy, what colour shoes?

And finally......boots or shoes to go with? could you wear boots? Again, what colour and style? Black ankle boots? Dark brown flat knee highs?

janeite Sat 03-Oct-09 19:19:27

Burgundy long sleeved t-shirt underneath and burgundy slim knee length boots?

I quite like navy and brown, rather than black. I think tan boots would give it a Margot-ish retro appeal.

tulpe Sat 03-Oct-09 19:23:32

I like navy and brown together too. Navy & black is good for evening but I think is possibly too overdressed for daytime.

Am liking the idea of a new boot shopping opportunity

I have currently have dark brown slim knee high boots. If I wore them with, what colour tights?

Not sure if I can do burgundy - it drains me a little - could do more of a raspberry shade though?

janeite Sat 03-Oct-09 19:34:14

Raspberry = yum.

Brown tights with brown boots I think.

tulpe Sat 03-Oct-09 19:37:05

Fab Thanks Janeite. You are a star wink

janeite Sat 03-Oct-09 19:41:00

Looks down at self - old, too-big jeans, out of shape t-shirt and big baggy cardigan, plus fluffy socks. Vows to do better.

tulpe Sat 03-Oct-09 19:45:57

If it's any consolation, I am currently sporting Gap wide-leg khakis, a white vest from Tesco, New Look green hoody and sheepskin slippers from Toast The most stylish thing I am wearing is my slippers!

VerityBrulee Sat 03-Oct-09 19:57:40

I wear a lot of navy, it looks great with dusty pink and cream. They are my capsule wardrobe colours smile

I got a lovely dusty pinky nude colour silk/cashmere boyfriend cardigan in Zara a few weeks ago, which would be lovely with your dress. I really like wearing those long slouchy cardigans with a skinny belt to give me some shape, as I'm pretty short.

So how about, cream long sleeve t-shirt, navy dress, pink cardigan, silver skinny belt, navy opaques, black patent shoes smile

janeite Sat 03-Oct-09 20:10:51

You don't happen to have a pic of your cardigan do you? Did you mention it on my cardigan thread last week? I forgot to go and have a look in Zara - gah.

VerityBrulee Sat 03-Oct-09 20:15:47

I did Janeite, it's my fave at the moment - yummy colour. So hard to describe - pale, dusty pinky with a tinge of lilac.

Sorry, the zara site is impossible to link from.

tulpe Sat 03-Oct-09 20:19:39

Sounds lovely Verity.

Sadly dusky pink totally washes out my skin tone I do have all the other things you suggested though......so I can definitely work with your idea

janeite Sat 03-Oct-09 20:20:37

Thanks Verity.

VerityBrulee Sat 03-Oct-09 21:53:48

Actually Tulpe, I think I might wear that myself tomorrow - hope we don't bump into each other wink I love layering, and often have a good browse here, if you click on the different categories, you'll find lots of styling ideas!

Janeite, have you not found your cardigan yet? I often have such a clear picture in my mind of what I want and it's so frustrating when I can't find it. Makes me want to set up my own shop, the perfect cardigan, the school run coat, etc smile

janeite Sat 03-Oct-09 21:56:38

LOVE that site.

Nope, no cardigans yet.

squeaver Sat 03-Oct-09 21:58:53

Don't be scared of navy and black. Black opaques, plus boots or black shoues, black cardi or contrast colour cardi

VerityBrulee Sat 03-Oct-09 21:59:53

I know, I thank god that they don't ship to Europe or I would be in serious debt.

VerityBrulee Sat 03-Oct-09 22:01:33

Agree squeaver, I love navy and black together, v chic!

CybilLiberty Sat 03-Oct-09 22:05:03

I would put a chunky knit cardi over the top, belted. with boots. I would probably go for a neutral cardi and add colour with a belt

CybilLiberty Sat 03-Oct-09 22:07:13

ooh OR I would add a blazer, tights in a contrasting colour and chunky brogues

tulpe Sat 03-Oct-09 22:15:40

Thanks Cybil & Squeaver.

Am pathetically excited at prospect of wearing my dress all year round

Cybil - loving the sound of your last suggestion (except slight cankle-age means brogues are no-no but perhaps heeled ankle boots instead?)

CybilLiberty Sat 03-Oct-09 22:16:40

Colours I would put with navy

Coral
Bright emerald green
Beige (lets call it stone it sounds better)
raspberry pink

CybilLiberty Sat 03-Oct-09 22:17:24

Yes ankle boots/shoe boots would be fab with tights

tulpe Sat 03-Oct-09 22:21:10

Ah - Beige is good. I have a "beige" (why does that sound so 70's??) cardi/jacket thing like this one. The picture in that particular link does the jacket no favours but if you look at the "ideas/style inspiration" thing on the homepage you will see it worn with a dress looking very nice.

CybilLiberty Sat 03-Oct-09 22:24:58

loving those lime green suede shoes on that page too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now