Talk

Advanced search

help me find a nice winter coat

(21 Posts)
QueenFee Fri 02-Oct-09 20:59:37

I need a winter coat for the school run which is flattering and stylish. Suggestions please. You only ever seem to be seen in your coat so would love a nice one but they always seem to make me look huge and shapeless - which i'm not. HELP!

QueenFee Fri 02-Oct-09 21:00:11

oh and meant to say must be waterproof! grin

LauraIngallsWilder Fri 02-Oct-09 21:01:33

Hi QueenFee I am going to shamelessly lurk and join in your thread if you dont mind

I NEED a warm winter coat as I have had my current one for five years shock

Disenchanted3 Fri 02-Oct-09 21:02:35

this is a lovely mac, much nicer in real life

You may have to buy a light fleece for under as its not thick!

pleasechange Fri 02-Oct-09 21:10:28

how much are you looking to spend?

QueenFee Fri 02-Oct-09 21:11:32

up to about £60 (may be convinced to go higher if it's GORGEOUS!)

pleasechange Fri 02-Oct-09 21:15:27

personally I love my boden cloudspotter mac here

QueenFee Fri 02-Oct-09 21:16:48

Love that mac but I really need a thick coat (I live in wales it's cold and windy here grin) I have a mac I bought for this time of year.

MichKit Fri 02-Oct-09 21:21:14

Try the Jil Sander at Uniqlo... looks amazing. Don't know if its waterproof though.

www.uniqlo.co.uk/catalogue/women/outerwear/all_26

QueenFee Fri 02-Oct-09 21:23:54

that links not working for me sad

MichKit Fri 02-Oct-09 21:28:23

Sorry, here

MichKit Fri 02-Oct-09 21:28:58

Its busy though, as the collection was only launched today. Its gorgeous!

PenguinProject Fri 02-Oct-09 21:35:09

Hmmm, do any of the new leather jackets out there catch your eye. They would be waterproof and warm, but maybe not long enough?

Lots of lovely macs around, but they aren't normally warm enough.

Would you consider a stylish parka? I love them, but I know not everyone does. I'd go for something like this, but I'm scruffy grin.

M&S do this

QueenFee Fri 02-Oct-09 21:36:51

some lovely ones there. I like the belted trench style coats would look good on my hourglass figure, however they all seem to be wool not sure they would withstand a good downpour? I need to be able to put it back on after a couple of hours not waiting days for it to dry grin
ooh do I go for style of practicality or is there a compromise of both out there hmm

QueenFee Fri 02-Oct-09 21:37:59

that per una one is lovely penguin...

PenguinProject Fri 02-Oct-09 21:48:24

I say buy the coat you really want and take a brolly or a hat.

I really want that first parka now...

brokenspacebar Fri 02-Oct-09 21:51:44

I linked to two here obviously they are not stylish enough for the S&B threads, but I live in NE Scotland - so high street coats won't be any use on a cold day here.

pleasechange Fri 02-Oct-09 21:57:08

Agree the per una one is nice

I have a green ted baker parka from a number of years back. It's still going strong

Queenfee - I guess there's a trade-off between something truly waterproof and something that's not, but is sturdy and warm. I'd say the parkas fall in the latter category. tbh, if you still want truly waterproof, I think you're either looking at a mac type thing, a north face type coat or a lands end type (which imo don't really achieve the stylish requirement). This conundrum is why this thread appears endless times on mn grin

QueenFee Fri 02-Oct-09 21:58:01

My mother is from NE scotland - similar weather to here wink

QueenFee Fri 02-Oct-09 22:01:43

will continue the long search then have about 2 weeks before the school run is impossible without waterproofs grin

brokenspacebar Fri 02-Oct-09 22:07:31

The one I ordered is waterproof, windproof and knee length - and imho not too ugly, hopefully will go well with my Fly boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now