Talk

Advanced search

Please help me accessorise this dress

(12 Posts)
stillfrazzled Fri 02-Oct-09 11:48:17

I bought this dress in the 30 per cent off promotion and am wearing it today (so please be gentle even if you think it's vile because... smile).

I love it, but today it's not working on me. Quite possibly because I'm not a willowy edgy goddess like the model on the site, but I still think (hope) the right accessories would help.

Currently wearing with black ballet flats, black tights, drapy merino cardy in charcoal. I look meh.

I wondered about these boots, perhaps with charcoal tights, but happy to hear suggestions. I'm size 10 and about to move house so can't afford too much!

TIA smile

stillfrazzled Fri 02-Oct-09 11:48:53

That should be "because it's too late and I'm stuck with it" blush

Sunshinemambo Fri 02-Oct-09 11:55:16

What about some black or grey brogues here? Or ankle boots here?

Could you use the orangey colour in the dress to find a cardi?

I like the dress by the way.

stillfrazzled Fri 02-Oct-09 12:51:09

I lurve the ankle boots, but am also pretty rubbish with heels. Maybe it's time I got brave, though... Do like those brogues, had been considering flat ankle boots with laces so could be good compromise.

It's more of a red than an orange - the splashes appear to be cherries - but take your point about picking the colour out.

Sunshinemambo Fri 02-Oct-09 13:43:56

Brogues are very now. Friend of mine wears a pair of brown ones with tights and a dress and they look ace.

stillfrazzled Sat 03-Oct-09 09:43:09

Just a thought, could I wear it with my Fly Mols, do you think?

tulpe Sat 03-Oct-09 12:34:38

Dress is gorgeous

Not sure what Fly Mols are (probably only MNer who doesn't!) but knee high boots would work.

Flat lace up ankle boots not working for me. Reminds me of little orphan look rather than chic. How about heeled ankle boots? Like these which won't break the bank.

I would be wary of picking out the brighter colour. It could look fab or it could look a bit like 5 year old in best frock. To make it work, bright cardi would be fine but keep all other bits in grey tones. Or how about a bright cami/long sleeve tee beneath?

Am off to look up fly mols.........

tulpe Sat 03-Oct-09 12:36:53

Have looked at Fly Mols. They would look fab with that dress IMO, coupled with charcoal tights

stillfrazzled Sat 03-Oct-09 12:40:52

tulpe, the right answer! smile Now I only need charcoal tights.

For some reason, the dress doesn't look right with 'pretty' or girly stuff on me - it needs something a bit tougher worn with it. Tried black sweater over it y'day and that was improvement, too.

Gap now appear to have it, and the purple version, on sale for £19.99 now. Grrr. Didn't realise there WAS a purple one and would have much preferred it...

tulpe Sat 03-Oct-09 12:51:50

how about a black or charcoal long sleeve tee beneath? I have one from Top Shop bought last year though but it is a lovely warm slate shade of grey, iyswim. They have the same kind of tees in again this year - quite a fine knit but not thin. Look dressier than regular tee-shirt fabric. here. They have them in red, ink, cream, white, grey & green this currently online. They look quite thin from the picture but don't let that put you off. I am very sensitive to cold and I find these are fab. Have loads of them.

And you could layer on the accessories with a scarf (skinny type or something more pashmina like) to add a bit more interest.

Bugger about the reduction. Hate it when that happens.

stillfrazzled Sat 03-Oct-09 13:48:25

There's a sort of silk slip under the dress, so not sure if I'd have room for a tee, too. But maybe worth a try and certainly look good for layering with other things - which I do do a lot.

Fleecy Sat 03-Oct-09 15:35:15

Can you wear red tights to pick out the colour? Cheap way of doing it. I've been a bit obsessed with coloured tights the last few years grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now