Talk

Advanced search

IS TINTING YOUR EYEBROWS AND EYELASHES A GOOD IDEA??

(16 Posts)
FabMum1 Fri 02-Oct-09 09:36:12

I am considering getting them done, but really don't know if its a good idea.

Does anyone know if it actually works and whats the best thing to use, or should I get them done professionally ?
smile

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 02-Oct-09 09:41:03

go to a salon have them done professionally

you will be AMAZED at the difference

Clovissa Fri 02-Oct-09 09:42:05

Dying your eyelashes is a brilliant idea. I do mine at home, but buy professional dye off the internet not the rubbish one you get in chemists which doesn't work. It's called Permalash - this is their website. Brilliant stuff - I apply it with a clean mascara wand, take my time, and get better results than a salon.

Dying eyebrows is a much riskier business - I've tried it a couple of times (I'm very fair) and always felt a bit self-conscious about the results. Perhaps try it with with a brow make-up kit first and see if you like the effect?

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 02-Oct-09 09:42:47

I used to have my eye lashes dyed (and permed) and it was brilliant. Got them done professionally though

Clovissa Fri 02-Oct-09 09:47:45

Maybe it's a good idea to get them done in a salon first, to check for reactions etc. but the home route is a brilliant money saver, since the maximum effect only lasts a couple of weeks if that, and you'll find yourself hankering after a top-up. It's safe to do at home and you can take lots of care with every tiny lash to make them look fab. Salons vary - I've had some brilliant jobs and some frankly disappointing ones.

wonderingwondering Fri 02-Oct-09 09:48:13

I have my eyelashes dyed, by my beautician, and it is great. Every six weeks.

BonsoirAnna Fri 02-Oct-09 09:51:37

I tint my eyelashes black at home, and use a little kit to slightly darken my eyebrows before putting gel on them to keep them in place.

FabMum1 Fri 02-Oct-09 16:47:47

I think I'll book in to see my beautician to have them done, then if it looks good will try permalash.
Not too sure about my eyebrows yet, don't want to look like I've got two huge furry caterpillars above my eyes smile

LolaLadybird Fri 02-Oct-09 21:42:14

I'd say get your eyebrows done too - especially if you're going to a salon. I have lashes and brows done by a home beautician every 5 weeks and it makes such a difference - espcially if you're fair. If you're nervous about the brows, just ask them not to leave the tint on too long. They can always reapply and leave for a bit longer if you decide to go a bit darker. I've been having mine done for about 2 years now and I love it.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 02-Oct-09 21:46:17

Definitely worth it. I have my eyelashes permed as well, as they tend to grow very straight, which looks odd when they are tinted.

I've had my eyebrows done once, but it was a bit too dark for my liking, so I'm not sure if I'd do it again.

Had my eyelashs done about 3 weeks ago professionally, personally think it's waste of money.

FabMum1 Sat 03-Oct-09 13:23:53

'Permed', how do they do that ?
Is it very expensive ?

Sidge Sat 03-Oct-09 14:08:07

I've been having my eyelashes tinted for about 20 years now, as I'm very blonde and my eyes look ghostly without proper lashes!

I go to a beauty therapist who works from home, get my lashes tinted blue/black and my eyebrows shaped and it doesn't cost too much.

I occasionally get my brows tinted too, but not regularly. As my brows are so blonde they can look a bit weird as they seem to take the tint up so quickly and look a bit obvious. I usually just use a brown eyebrow pencil.

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 03-Oct-09 17:02:33

FabMum1 - no idea how they do it because I can't see! It feels as if they roll your eyelashes between two very thin, foam/sponge-like rollers, but I have no idea how they 'stick' them in the curl shape. It's an odd feeling!

Can't remember how much I pay as it's a while since I've been.

kickassangel Sat 03-Oct-09 17:09:37

i get lashes & brows dyed, and brows waxed.
another one who is naturally fair. lashes dyed balck, brows a mid brown, so not too obvious. go to a salon first, they should test you before, to make sure you don't react (itchy red eyebrows being SUCH a good look)

tried dying lashes at home, got some in my eye & vowed never to do it again!

however, it doesn't give you any extra lashes, so i just have short, thin, but black lases. still, at least yo can see there's something there.

Jacksmamwahahaha Sat 03-Oct-09 17:09:46

Definitely worth it. Having your brows shaped professionally and tinted to suit your complexion makes a world of difference. There are several shades of eyebrow tints so you needn't be afraid that you'll look like a pair of black eyebrows on legs grin and if you have fair eyelashes, tinting them means you can (almost) go out with a bare face and still look really good.
I started doing this two years ago, and on days when I have no time for anything can slap on some powder, lip balm and a nude shade of eyeshadow and look fine (am one of those fair people with rabbit eyelashes otherwise, would look about as interesting as a bowl of oatmeal without make-up).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now