Talk

Advanced search

Pearls?

(9 Posts)
MaMight Thu 01-Oct-09 18:48:51

It's my birthday soon.

Dh is visiting somewhere famous for pearls.

Would I like some pearl jewelery?

If so, what?

Do people wear a string of pearls any more?

I've seen some lovely pearl rings.

Pearl earings?

Or, some of my friends have matching sets, so their earrings match their necklace or even a bracelet too. Is that a bit old fashioned?

I'm clueless.

Also, are there ethical issues with pearls?

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 01-Oct-09 18:55:41

I have some lovely pearls, necklace and earrings, which were birthday present when I was 30.

However, that was 20 years ago, when it was very fashionable, if not a bit Sloaney!

I don't wear the necklace at all as it feels very old/old fashioned now, although occasionally wear the earrings.

I feel that they're sort of investment pieces (although clueless to their actual worth). If it was my DH I'd want him to be buying something in a contemporary design, not just a string of pearls.

MaMight Thu 01-Oct-09 19:37:02

I think a contemporary pearl ring looks nice, but I have said so to a couple of friends and they are unconvinced by the idea of a pearl ring. That's why I asked.

hf128219 Thu 01-Oct-09 19:38:44

Do you say Yah? If so go for a double - or even triple strand - chocker.

wonderingwondering Thu 01-Oct-09 20:25:52

Is he going to Mikimoto?

There's some very elegant and stylish pearl jewelry around at the moment, esp some beautiful rings. Have you looked at cashew pearls - they are the irregular shape, like a cashew nut, so not old-fashioned/grannyish. I think anyway. And you can get some long strings of pearls with different colours in them... lovely, I am envious.

JeMeSouviens Fri 02-Oct-09 04:03:54

I think the baroque pearls look great, all misshapen rather than the perfect round pearls.

JeMeSouviens Fri 02-Oct-09 04:06:18

this kind of thing

Broome?

JeMeSouviens Fri 02-Oct-09 04:07:46

south sea pearl? how lovely shock

BaronessBarbaraKingstanding Fri 02-Oct-09 09:56:21

I've recently got back into pearls in a big way.
(I've a feeling I saw carrie in the SATC film wearing them that got me started.)

I have a very long string (belly button kind of length) that I wear alot with casual dresses and tunics, and a very short string (just around the base of the neck) that i wear with my work dresses and cardis, in what I like to imagine is a 50's retro kind of look. I also wear a pair of plain pearl studs.

All mine are fake, but if someone was offerig to buy me the real thing I'd jump at it. I'd probably go for stud earings or a very short choker and I'd personally stick with classic pearls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now