Talk

Advanced search

Hair dyes and dark brown hair.

(15 Posts)
Wuxiapian Wed 30-Sep-09 23:48:30

My hair's very dark and very weak/thin.

I'm so bored of it and want a change.

Can anyone recommend a certain dye/colour that's gentle yet effective?

I just want a subtle lightening, maybe.

Thanks for any responses.

mumonthenet Thu 01-Oct-09 22:38:00

Can't recommend any particular colour but...

http://www.color-chart.org/loreal-clairol-wella-hair.php

my advice would be to go for anything with a bit of ash in it.........the ones with "gold" or "auburn" just end up looking flat and painted

Go for a shade lighter than your own to start with.

What colour eyes/skin do you have?

vickiadele Thu 01-Oct-09 22:39:43

my advice is get something which base colour is red, it covers most dark hair and you can choose a classy red or funky grin

vickiadele Thu 01-Oct-09 22:40:14

or purple

Wuxiapian Fri 02-Oct-09 13:36:50

Mum, I'm mixed race - black (Caribbean)/white - with dark eyes, brown skin, so, can't be going too light.

Thinking the contrast between scalp and hair will be less obvious if I go a bit lighter.

Does anyone know if that'd be the case?

mumonthenet Sun 04-Oct-09 00:46:31

Yep wux I would guess the same about the contrast between scalp and hair.

Why don't you get an appointment with a hairdresser JUST to talk about your options. There must be some who'd be delighted to advise you.

Wuxiapian Sun 04-Oct-09 13:53:45

Thanks, mum.

That's certainly something to think about.

Will need to do it soon, though - going to see my partner is Geneva on friday and would like to surprise him. Hopefully, in a good way!

Now, do I go to a "black" or "white" hairdressing establishment?...

Wuxiapian Sun 04-Oct-09 13:56:35

... Or, do I take the plunge and home-dye with the Nice n Easy non-permanent dye I bought yesterday...

AnyFuleKno Sun 04-Oct-09 14:28:04

strand test! Can't recommend that strongly enough... Here speaks the voice of having spent £75 at a hairdresser having my home dye disaster fixed the day before a holiday.

deaddei Sun 04-Oct-09 15:20:58

Try Aveda hair colouring- very gentle and great warmth.

Wuxiapian Sun 04-Oct-09 17:20:54

Had a good search in my nearest town and didn't see any Aveda in any shop

Heated Sun 04-Oct-09 17:27:08

Hairdresser every time. You can get some colour build up once you start to home dye, leaving you with different colours at the crown and roots and they don't always match up colour wise on the box (speaks from bitter experience). Hairdresser might suggest a combination of colours, not just one block which tends to show regrowth quicker. But it can get pricey so get them to recommend a home product for 'inbetween' appointments.

Lizzylou Sun 04-Oct-09 17:34:41

Something toffee/caramel coloured would look fab with your colouring. Can you tell I am hungry? grin
I'd definitely go to a hairdresser first though.

evaangel2 Sun 04-Oct-09 17:40:05

Do you already have permanent colour on your hair?
If so you cannot lighten wothout the use of a gentle bleach, but you can add shades of warmth, red copper gold etc, brunnette shades from wella are fab, they just take away the flatness of a colour or the other alternative would be to have lowlights put in your hair, 2 shades lighter than your present colour, hope this helps...Well I have been hairdressing for over 25 years.lol

deaddei Sun 04-Oct-09 17:44:42

You can only get Aveda colour done at a hairdressers- sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now