Talk

Advanced search

HELP! Need to find a stylish hooded coat that is getting on for knee-length (as opposed to hip length)!!!!

(20 Posts)
LadyLaLa Wed 30-Sep-09 21:37:00

It's probably been asked before but can anyone recommend a hooded coat suitable for winter pram walking in the rain?

Duffel coat suggestions are welcome, as are (warmish) parkas or hooded macs, the only specification really is that it is longer than hip length (I am 5'8" and don't really like shorter coats).

Don't mind colour or pattern but nothing too mad - would prefer something neutral ie black/tan/patterned using 2 colours only, etc

Any suggestions?

captainpig Wed 30-Sep-09 21:44:21

this

LadyLaLa Wed 30-Sep-09 21:49:39

Wow Captainpig, that's pretty much got it sussed, thanks! smile

You can even have it monogrammed for an extra £3.50!!!

Now all I have to do is choose between the six!!! lovely colours smile

captainpig Wed 30-Sep-09 21:55:25

I can recommend it as I bought one last year, I have it in red. It really is lovely - warm, windproof and keeps the rain out. I like winter coats that cover my backside and keep the draughts out. Best winter coat I have ever bought.

LadyLaLa Wed 30-Sep-09 21:59:20

Did you have it monogrammed though? wink

Seriously, they look great and it's a coat that will last for years, kept correctly.

Would you say the coats are true to size? I'm probably a 14 but with slim shoulders and small waist (quite hourglassy) is there room to move in them or do they cling around the bottom as some longer coats do?

captainpig Wed 30-Sep-09 22:12:33

Definately no monogram!

I'm and 10 and bought S (10/12), I would say true to size. No it doesn't cling on the bottom (I think it has vents on the bottom - I would check but I left it in the car and it's dark outside!). Click on the more info tab for - well more info! Here it gives you garment length etc.

lucykate Wed 30-Sep-09 22:21:34

i bought that coat in brown on monday, it's lovely, really cosy. are you anywhere near the midlands?, i live right by the lands end factory shop, got mine for £29. i'm a 12 and got the 10/12, fits fine, a little big but smaller size was too short in the arms

LadyLaLa Wed 30-Sep-09 22:26:17

Thanks - yes info says they are vented at the bottom which flares it out a bit. They look like they don't crease too badly either - perfect! have ordered one (minus "LadyLaLa" monogramme, though!)smile

gorgeousgirl Wed 30-Sep-09 22:31:50

Can I ask how old you all are? The coat seems ideal for me, but I don't want to get anything too young... too old...

x

LadyLaLa Wed 30-Sep-09 22:35:12

Hi lucykate, I'm not near the Midlands unfortunately - am envy at the great price you got yours for though!

I have gone for a medium which might be a bit roomy, but I doubt I would fit a 10-12, well maybe a generously cut 12 on the top but sadly definitely not anywhere near a 10-12 any more on the bottom - those were the (pre-baby) days...

noddyholder Wed 30-Sep-09 22:40:08

This is great www.millets.co.uk/clothing/women/jackets/product/042121.html#

captainpig Wed 30-Sep-09 22:42:38

gorgeousgirl am 40 (just!)

LadyLaLa Wed 30-Sep-09 22:46:29

Hi GG, I am 32 and although if I was going out or to the office I would usually wear something a lot sharper and this is slightly "mummy-coat" territory, I will be wearing it primarily for pushing the pram in the rain, after all, and it's warmer than a kaghoul or "mac in a sac"!

I think it depends how you wear it. You could make it look a lot older with sensible shoes and "teacher" jeans wink, or a lot younger, by choosing the right colour, with skinny jeans, a funky scarf and those knee-high but low heeled tan leather boots (what are they called? mind's gone completely blank... L-somethings?).. anyway, nothing high heeled (much too 90's "sportswear-teamed-with-glamour"/Jenny from the block) but something a bit sexier than hiking boots at least smile

lucykate Wed 30-Sep-09 22:54:15

gg - i'm 39. i got it because i work at home, and walk the school run twice a day, come rain or shine and needed something properly waterproof with a hood.

lucykate Wed 30-Sep-09 22:56:35

oh, and because at £29 it was a complete bargain wink

everything at the factory shop is a real bargain, it's all catalogue returns. the zip was slightly dodgy, but nothing some tweezers couldn't fix!

lexie01 Wed 30-Sep-09 23:07:39

Thanks everyone on this thread. I to have been looking (with increasing desperation) for a knee length waterproof coat with hat for the school run. Just happened to click on this thread and my prayers have inadvertantly been answered! Who needs those horrible Boden cloud spotter macs (which I was going to have in sheer desperation) when I can have this one from Lands End. THANKS

Lucky Kate - I live in the Midlands. Where is the factory shop?

lucykate Wed 30-Sep-09 23:24:16

it's east midlands (rutland) in oakham or there's one in maidenhead, here

AvrilH Thu 01-Oct-09 13:05:54

Does anyone know if that millets coat is warmish?

noddyholder Thu 01-Oct-09 14:31:25

Milletts coat is v warm and stylish too Photo is quite dark.The short version is nice too

AvrilH Fri 02-Oct-09 08:13:07

Thank you Noddy, I am placing an order grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now