Talk

Advanced search

I'M A NAIL BITER, HELP!

(19 Posts)
FabMum1 Wed 30-Sep-09 21:20:12

I have bitten my nails for as long as I can remember, I've decided enough is enough.

Where do I start ?
I want to stop biting them, but them treat them with some sort of hardener so I end up with gorgeous nails.

Can anyone help me please xx

CybilLiberty Wed 30-Sep-09 21:30:43

Ok (as a veteran on/off nail biter) step one is buy

a decent emery board

cuticle cream (Burts Bees is really good, the lemon one in the tin) Boots sell it

Some nice sheer nail varnish, like a french manicure pinky one

file your bitten nails as best you can. Paint them with the sheer varnish. When dry, rub in cuticle stuff. you must do the cuticle stuff every night

I will be your no biting mentor if you want

ilovesprouts Wed 30-Sep-09 21:32:48

im also a bad nail biter ,ive tryed to stop but i cant

wingandprayer Wed 30-Sep-09 21:33:36

Extensions. Not nasty nasty ones obv. You will have lovely looking nails and be physically unable to bite them so breaks habit and shows you the end result so you have something to aim for. Take them off a few months later and use Nailtiques nail protein number 2, I think, to repair and strengthen. Worked a treat for me, I bit mine right down for 24 years!

Doobydoo Wed 30-Sep-09 21:35:25

ME TOOOOOO!
Could we have support thread...I am desperate to stop...I am 40!

CybilLiberty Wed 30-Sep-09 21:36:54

Ok will start thread

Wanderingsheep Wed 30-Sep-09 21:37:22

I bite my nails too. They look awful! I've stopped so many times and grown them quite long, but the minute one breaks I go back to biting them.

CybilLiberty Wed 30-Sep-09 21:38:58

Studious emery boarding is the answer

LauraIngallsWilder Wed 30-Sep-09 21:40:52

Me too me too
I have bitten mine since I was 8

I stopped for the whole of 2007 but then started again blush

southeastastra Wed 30-Sep-09 21:43:35

everytime you bite a little bit, file it straight away otherwise you'll just be tempted to bite it. always keep file on you

Geocentric Wed 30-Sep-09 21:50:38

Another nail-biter here... 37 yrs old ffs!!! The support thread sounds great!

pasturesnew Wed 30-Sep-09 21:51:59

I need help too! Usually the nasty tasting stuff helps but I can't wear it as bf DD & need to use fingers to sort latch.

TheHappyCat Wed 30-Sep-09 22:03:11

I'm with you. Mine are disgusting. I constantly check out everyone else's nails on the train and in the office. I don't think I have ever seen any as bad as mine . It is sad - I am quite nicely turned out otherwise. I have bitten them all my life, and have grown them intermittently and they have been beautiful - but they always break and go back to their bitten state. Help.

TheCongaLineOfTruth Fri 02-Oct-09 07:47:19

Hi all

I bought some of those plastic stick-on ones (sounds horrible but they look ok) and left them on a few days.

I found it was long enough to break the habit and meanwhile my nails got a chance to get growing underneath!

CybilLiberty Fri 02-Oct-09 08:08:13

happy cat look at other thread for tips. You can do it

LoveMyGirls Fri 02-Oct-09 08:11:44

Me too, I needed to grow them for my wedding and as a treat I had gel nails for my wedding day (which are expensive but they dont chip or anything for 3-4weeks) I've got to soak them off with acetone.

I started by putting on nasty tasting stuff and used cuticle oil to soften the edges then painted a nail hardener on too it only takes a week to see a big difference and I found if I painted them bright colours it made me notice them more when they were getting closer to my mouth so I'd remember to stop.

I'm still nibbling the edges but they look much better than they used to.

LoveMyGirls Fri 02-Oct-09 08:13:21

oh and regular manicues because the thought of someone else seeing my manky nails was enough to keep me from doing it most of the time.

Dh loves my nails now so it was worth it grin

CybilLiberty Fri 02-Oct-09 08:19:27

yes I agree once they are past the 'Urgh god how revolting ' stage, which doesn't take long, have a manicure. You will be amazed at results.

mathanxiety Fri 02-Oct-09 17:26:51

WingandPrayer, that is how I did it. I got such a kick out of my lovely falsies, and they weren't even very long. Had nothing to bite for a month and lost the habit. I also used the Burts Bees lemon cream afterwards and it's fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now