Talk

Advanced search

So, what do I wear with a work dress?

(24 Posts)
NorkilyChallenged Tue 29-Sep-09 21:49:31

After reading some threads on here about work dresses, I went and tried a few on and bought this one.

But.... I need advice on what to wear with it to make a whole outfit. I know, I'm clueless blush

I'm guessing maybe opaques (black - would colour be too much?) but what about tops underneath? I have the beginnings of bingo wings so can't really show my upper arms in public any more. Any other thoughts? Cardigan on top?

I think I'm scared as this is so far out of my usual comfort zone - work clothes normally black trousers and a top for me.

I'm 36, size 10 (bordering on 12 in hips/thighs), 32A, good waist though bit of a post-baby tummy.

NorkilyChallenged Wed 30-Sep-09 16:07:50

Shameless bump.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

hf128219 Wed 30-Sep-09 16:12:02

That's nice. Black opaques. You can wear a polo neck under a shift dress - or even a shirt.

I would wear a cardigan - or a little Chanel type jacket.

CHOOGIRL Wed 30-Sep-09 17:58:23

I wear my black dresses with bright red Hermes scarf and jacket when I want to look serious. Also have worn long sleeve t-shirt underneath in contrasting colour with black opaques and boots for a more smart casual look in winter. Agree with cardigan but experiment with colours that aren't black. I did see an article about wearing the same dress for a year which had some good ideas. Will see if I can find it.

notyummy Wed 30-Sep-09 18:04:38

Try blue, purple (if feeling brave!) or grey opagues - they could look good with that.

Cardigan would look good.

Shoe boots perhaps with great heel?

Depends on the dress code in your workplace a bit as well.

sequinedsteaknife Wed 30-Sep-09 18:14:53

Very chic dress choice.

When looking to wear a layer underneath you need to be careful of the necklines - this looks like a slash neck so, personally, I would stick to long sleeve tees rather than polos or shirts. But try some different options and see what suits.

And how about a bolero instead of a cardi.

NorkilyChallenged Wed 30-Sep-09 19:31:08

Oooh thank you all! Am in the middle of cooking dinner (am allegedly looking up risotto recipes <kitchen moron emoticon>) so will look at your ideas properly later and see what I come up with!

Will have some spending money this weekend to get a new work outfit grin

NorkilyChallenged Sat 03-Oct-09 10:32:57

Thank you all. Am off out this week with my birthday money wink to see what i can get.

Everyone seems to agree on a long-sleeved top but what colour to go under charcoal grey, assuming I stick to black opaques? Bright pink? Red? Anything?

No real dress code at work (some people are in jeans) but I have made a decision since going back from mat leave to be a bit smarter (as I'm in a more senior role) and also it helps to have a separate work wardrobe compared to my mummy wardrobe of things smeared in porridge and snot grin

I currently have these shoes for work - would they be okay with the dress? I am not a huge fan of the ankle shoe/boot things and can't wear a high heel (these shoes are about as high as I can go) as I have old lady bunion-prone feet!

ChasingSquirrels Sat 03-Oct-09 10:41:12

omg, I'm on a S&B thread - I really like that dress, and with the red bolero from Hobbs.

Hate showing my legs (am also either trousers and top/blouse or longer skirt in summer) but am seriously tempted to go out shopping now.

NorkilyChallenged Sat 03-Oct-09 10:47:30

ChasingSquirrels = do it! Join me in my bravery! I'm the same, hate my legs so always always in trousers and, until recently, ankle-length skirts to cover up.

I had been tempted by the thought of it but when I tried the dresses on (M&S have a really good selection at the mo at really decent prices), I was amazed at how it made me feel to be in a dress.

Obviously, I have yet to actually wear it in public. But my 2 year old said I looked beautiful wink

Buy it and then tell me what you're wearing it with!! <selfish motivations emoticon>

ChasingSquirrels Sat 03-Oct-09 11:42:07

awww at 2yo - my 3yo tells me similar when I am dressed up to go out, 7yo just looks at me and shrugs!

Inspired by thread I have just been trying on clothes I haven't worn for years. Have a lovely lbd that I could wear for work with a shrug or jacket. Unfortunately I am probably 1/2 a stone too heavy for it. Maybe an incentive!

Do like that red bolero in Hobbs.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 03-Oct-09 11:43:35

omg, Norks - just looked at your profile and seen (via library thread) that you are local.
I'm in one of the north villages - nr Burwell.
Waves madly - lol.

Treeesa Sat 03-Oct-09 11:49:14

I just came across this thread and it made me smile.. Oh the thought of having the luxury to be able to choose different colours, fabrics, legs/no legs etc.

I'll have to put a bolero on over my uniform for my next shift - that'll get the pulses racing lol..

NorkilyChallenged Sat 03-Oct-09 11:49:44

OOOoh, hello! You'll be able to spot me if you see me in my dress and shoes then!

<now desperately hoping not to be outed on MN shockwink>

NorkilyChallenged Sat 03-Oct-09 11:58:18

Treeesa - yes you're right it's lucky.

Though there are days when I long for my old school uniform - I just found it easier not having to think about it in the mornings!!

ChasingSquirrels Sat 03-Oct-09 12:05:57

lol - I'm sure I don't know you.

Clure Sat 03-Oct-09 15:00:48

Norkily - love that dress. I would wear a skinny rib polo or round neck long sleeve top under. I would probably either wear black or a colour like red, navy, grey, purple, maroon, bottle green under then stick with black opaques. If you feeling brave could go with purple opaques (with black top under dress)
The shoes you have would go nicely, also someone suggested shoe boots - they would look great.
How about these boots as a winter alternative

Fleecy Sat 03-Oct-09 15:24:51

I have a dress like that and wear it with some hot pink tights - not neon pink but something like this

Brightens it up without being too crazy.

pleasechange Sat 03-Oct-09 15:29:56

norkily I have that dress grin. Funnily enough I've been looking for cropped cardigans to wear with it and started another thread about that

The idea about the skinny top underneath is a good one - I hadn't thought about that at all

NorkilyChallenged Sat 03-Oct-09 15:58:46

Ooh just rushed off to look at your cropped cardi thread too....

You'll have to tell me what you wear with the dress, would love more ideas/tips.

I really like the bolero but it's quite expensive so I'm going to have a look around before deciding what to get to go with my dress. Then I just need it to get a bit colder and I can actually try wearing it to work. Yikes!

pleasechange Mon 05-Oct-09 07:25:18

norkily - just to update you, I bought a teal green cropped cardigan yesterday from matalan and am wearing it today with the dress. Looks great (if I say so myself grin). Sleeves are to the elbow, don't know if that puts you off or not. It's really nice and fitted, which means it goes in at the waist very flatteringly with the dress

NorkilyChallenged Mon 05-Oct-09 07:47:43

That sounds lovely (wishing we had a Matalan here)

I've still to go shopping, tried yesterday with DD1 but it turns out 2 year olds are really not interested in clothes shopping wink

pleasechange Mon 05-Oct-09 07:53:54

yes, I had to bribe DS with sweets when I was in the changing room. He was shouting his head off but there was no way I was leaving before getting sorted. I also got a pair of skinny jeans (my first ever) for a bargainous £12 grin

ChasingSquirrels Mon 05-Oct-09 19:51:16

Matalan in Bury St Edmunds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now