Talk

Advanced search

explain "henley' to me...

(11 Posts)
LetThemEatCake Tue 29-Sep-09 21:06:30

is it because I is Aussie??

Have just realised that the Boden Henley dress, the White Co henley dress, the AA Henley t-shirts all have the common feature of a button front.

So - just curious - what/ why henley? Something to do with the boat race? [thick emocion]

also ... does any one have the White Co Henley dress? I am thinking it looks cosier and better quality than the boden one (which is mostly cotton and only about a dribble of cashmere or merino or something) that I bought for bfing purposes) ... and is available in a nice sensible shade of navy, which is not only a good choice for a respectable mother of 3 but will also look rather good with my chocolate brown change bag ....

traceybath Tue 29-Sep-09 21:10:29

I thought of you today as was wearing last year's boden henley tunic and bf dd.

Now I was at home so wasn't bothered about discretion but do you use a scarf or something so as not to expose whole boob when doing the boob out of buttons thing??

I tried on the white co henley dress a few weeks ago - it was ok but quite dull really. Definitely clingier than boden.

No idea as to why they're called henley and I'm terribly British smile

AngelinaJolly Tue 29-Sep-09 21:41:04

It's because that particular style of collarless shirt was made popular among rowers in Henley-on-Thames.

And Henley-o-T is so rah rah and the aspirational that Johnnie and co. heart it so much.

<innit?> wink

MaggieVirgoLeo Tue 29-Sep-09 22:03:52

LMEC, I don't know either, I'm Irish. Henley this, Henley that.....

No comprendo. Looks like another kinda dull jumper.

MrsBadger Tue 29-Sep-09 22:17:54

Angelina is spot on - they were good for rowing as you could button up / unbutton to regulate your temp

Cambridge still wear them
[refrains from comment]

LetThemEatCake Tue 29-Sep-09 22:44:56

no go on badger, comment!!!

tracey - is it really clingier? hmm. not good ..... may have lost a stone since the weekend (great diet, highly recommend it LOL) but have a good ways to go

re: discretion - I do have a variety of scarves and stuff, shoved in my bag if not actually being used as the accessory du jour ... current faves are my travelwrap which will come into its own when the weather gets colder and this M&S one - my mum bought it for me and I'm strangely enamoured of it

How is baby B?

MrsBadger Tue 29-Sep-09 22:48:16

oh I couldn;t possibly grin

my alliegance is to the Other Place so it would be scathing and probably based on unjustifiable prejudice

Zembo Wed 30-Sep-09 05:52:59

Lovely scarf LTEC! Your mum clearly has good taste too. What have you been wearing it with?

dexter73 Wed 30-Sep-09 07:14:16

Didn't they used to be called grandad tops?

AngelinaJolly Wed 30-Sep-09 07:18:23

Mrs Badger- I'm a Cambridge lady myself.
Go the true blues! <stands back a safe respectful distance>

Maggie34Behave Wed 30-Sep-09 14:03:03

Yeah, I'd call that a granddad top. That's what they were called when I was 11.

You had to wear a granddad top with skinny jeans, a granddad shirt and boot runners in the style of converse. ALL that stuff back in again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now