Talk

Advanced search

Just got a job and need a new wardrobe

(3 Posts)
sphil Tue 29-Sep-09 13:16:10

But will have to be capsule as we're completely strapped for cash. The job is as a TA/outreach worker - will be spending some time in a school where the dress code is smart/ casual. I've been living in T shirts and jeans for the past 8 years!

I'm 49, 5.9 tall, size 14/16 but gradually shrinking thanks to Slimming Worldgrin. Hair dark blonde, complexion olive-ish, brown eyes. Horrible legs - fat ankles, calves and thighs. Top half is fine though! Look good in warm colours, love brown, OK with black but not next to my face as it complements my dark circles rather too nicely!

I have almost nothing suitable in my wardrobe already except the following:

new black ankle boots from New Look
very long black skirt with a hem that sort of swishes out a bit - bought years ago
long brown Boden skirt - ditto
fitted green buttoned top from Gap
a huge assortment of vest tops in assorted colours for some weird reason.

Are long skirts really naff atm? Don't want to look frumpy but am scared about exposing legs, although I suppose they look OK-ish in opaque black tights.

All help gratefully received - I start on Monday!!!

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 29-Sep-09 13:19:22

long skirts are fairly aging. trousers? or knee lenght skirts with long boots.

if skint get yourself to h&m to tide you over.

and good luck starting!

Salsavita Tue 29-Sep-09 15:01:28

I started my new job as a receptionist in a secondary school about three weeks ago and I needed a different wardrobe to what I was used to.

I have bought

black sweater dress & leggings to wear with knee length boots I already have

pair of really nice well cut trousers

a couple of lightweight jumpers

a long black cardie

skirt, cardie (which I will wear buttoned up) and little under top from The White Stuff with I could wear with shoes and patterned tights or tights and knee length boots

With a few other bits in my wardrobe which I should be able to use with the above, I don't need to buy anything else now till spring.

Just get yourself a few good basic things, I would rather have less but nice quality stuff.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now