Talk

Advanced search

help me style my lounge

(16 Posts)
DoingTheBestICan Tue 29-Sep-09 09:51:55

Ordered a new corner suite yesterday in a chestnut colour,we have cherry coloured wood flooring & this wallpaper on the chimney breast wall.

What colour do you think would go on the other walls?

We have a rug in the same colour as the wallpaper so the flooring is sorted really,i need ideas for the walls & maybe some decorative items?

Thanks.

tulpe Tue 29-Sep-09 09:54:37

I would either go with the same cranberry shade as the flowers (my choice) or with the same cream as the background on the wallpaper.

If you go with red, make sure you have plenty of artwork/mirrors etc to break it up.

DoingTheBestICan Tue 29-Sep-09 09:57:57

Not sure on red walls tbh,with the rug being reddy colour as well it may be too much.

Gosh there are lots of different shades of cream out there arent there?

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 10:06:44

If you are unsure on the red/cranberry (which will make room look smaller), the I suggest a warm cream.

I think you will still need lots of artwork/mirrors to avoid it looking bland

TheYearOfTheCat Tue 29-Sep-09 10:12:29

I would go for deep red alcoves either side of the chimney, and cream on the rest of the walls.

Now, for all my questions:
What size of room is it? Are ceilings high or low? What is the aspect - is there lots of natural light?
What are you going to do with your windows?

GooseyLoosey Tue 29-Sep-09 10:21:39

Think I would go with the cream shade in the wallpaper and have cranberry accessories (cushions, picture frames, vases etc). For me, more red would be too much

Bleh Tue 29-Sep-09 10:27:41

I would go for cream, as others have suggested, and maybe on the either side of the chimney, try and find a green to match that in the wallpaper? It would break up all the red, and create a nice balance. I think all red walls, with red accessories is too much.

Man this is fun!

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 10:45:25

Yes, cranberry walls either side of chimney would work well

DoingTheBestICan Tue 29-Sep-09 11:01:53

The room is an arkward shape it has a huge window that has a roman blind in a milky coffee colour & cream curtains with a band at the top in the same colour as the blind.

The suite will sit in front of the window,

the room measures about 4m wide by 6 m long with an alcove big enough to place an armchair on one wall.

Normal height ceilings & its a nice bright room.

Bleh Tue 29-Sep-09 11:05:30

Maybe try design sponge for inspiration.

DoingTheBestICan Tue 29-Sep-09 11:07:02

Are they peoples houses? My God i have died & gone to heaven,i lurvve snooping in other peoples homes.

Bleh Tue 29-Sep-09 11:18:49

It is. Very stylish people's homes, and you can just blatantly steal their ideas.

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 11:43:21

oh, that site is great Bleh

GooseyLoosey Tue 29-Sep-09 11:56:33

Gosh, do you all like the houses on that site. Maybe I have no taste at all (a distinct possibility), but they all look rather "samey" to me and lacking in much warmth. Think they look like houses from a much hotter country than ours.

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 13:05:49

I don't necessarily like the houses per se, but I love snooping about looking at other people's styles

merlin Tue 29-Sep-09 13:14:04

Oh god I wish I'd never clicked on that link.

I will be wasting a lot of evenings drooling over the pictures grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now