Talk

Advanced search

I HAVE NASTY BIG DANDRUFFS (SP?) IN MY HAIR, TRIED L'OREAL, ABOUT TO TRY HEAD AND SHOULDERS...

(17 Posts)
IHAVESNOWINMYHAIR Mon 28-Sep-09 12:17:19

I'm really self conscious about it, I have been due a haircut for months but doesnt dare going...so I look like a witch ! I have tried l'oreal anti dandruffs but it doesnt work, will head and shoulders the solution ? My scalp itch and hurt ! Please tell me its going to get better !!!

IHAVESNOWINMYHAIR Mon 28-Sep-09 12:20:42

bump

5inthebed Mon 28-Sep-09 12:22:34

Head and shoulders is good stuff, but it sounds like you need something a bit more stronger if it is quite large bits. Your best bet is to go to Boots or your local pharmacy and get a medicated dandruff shampoo to treat it at first, then use head and shoulders once it has gone, so to keep it at bay.

I suffer badly with dandruff and psoriasis on my scalp, an find the medicated stuff is great when I have a "clumpy" attack.

HTH

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Mon 28-Sep-09 12:25:37

Try T gel shampoo it has coal tar in it. It sounds like you may have a touch of psoriasis or dermatitis I get this too.

caughtintheact Mon 28-Sep-09 12:28:13

agree with 5 you prob need something hardcore like Selsun - works for me - and then head and shoulders or t gel to keep it from coming back. Selsun smells horrible so I use a nice condiitoner afterwards, and usually only have to use it once or twice to clear it up.

IHAVESNOWINMYHAIR Mon 28-Sep-09 12:32:26

Thank you for all your kind advices, I'm going to go to Boots this afternoon..Do I have to ask over the counter or it will be on shelves ?

5inthebed Mon 28-Sep-09 12:36:59

It'll probably just be on the shelves.

bodeniites Mon 28-Sep-09 14:46:51

T gel made my hair like straw was itthe Loreal Elvive shampoo you tried i find that works if you was hair frequently Head and Shoulders is rubbish

luckyblackcat Mon 28-Sep-09 14:48:17

My hairdresser rec rubbing conditioner into my scalp, as often not true dandruff but just dry flaky scalp.

dillinger Mon 28-Sep-09 15:15:06

I found if I used Head and Shoulders that I then had to keep using it - if I dared switch for a change or whatever my scalp would be terrible.

I liked using a few bits from Lush actually, there was this cream/balm stuff that you'd massage on your scalp and leave on for a little while or overnight then wash off the next day (I found something citrussy worked best to get rid of the balmy oils) and then Id use the soak and float solid shampoo bar for normal washing in the week. Theyve got another one now, squeaky green or something that Im currently using and it seems to be doing ok.

The price can be a prob tho I cant always afford stuff in there, and also if your scalp needs a bit more help it might not be suitable for you but thought it was worth mentioning.

I hope you get it sorted smile

dillinger Mon 28-Sep-09 15:16:27

I will say though - dont use that balm stuff if areas on your scalp are scratched/sore - it really bloody hurts (sorry I didnt read your post well enough first)

toddlerama Mon 28-Sep-09 15:22:19

Me too - T-Gel works but only if you follow the directions (ie leave it on for several minutes). Then I have to be careful not to get any conditioner on my scalp as it irritates it. I have psoriasis though rather than dandruff. Don't worry about the hairdresser - they see this stuff all the time. If it is psoriasis, try not to scratch it at all. Easier said than done, but when it is rubbed or damaged, more is produced and you end up with a larger patch.

IHAVESNOWINMYHAIR Mon 28-Sep-09 15:43:09

Thank you, I'm going to take all your advices on board !!

shivermetimbers Mon 28-Sep-09 15:46:19

I agree with the T-gel but it has to be the T-Gel Theraputic. really good but you need a bloody good conditioner after.

clumsymum Mon 28-Sep-09 15:50:38

Here's another treatment, which worked for dh a few years back, he had a really dreadful problem wit dandruff

Nizoral

Melfish Mon 28-Sep-09 21:49:41

You sound like you've got my scalp! Unfortunately L'Oreal did a fab gel which they've now discontinued angry so I've been hunting for a replacement.
I found Kerastase Bain Gommage shampoo good, if you use it for about 2 weeks and then use a normal, mild shampoo in alternation. It's about £10 or so, but I asked for a sample from my hairdresser and used that to see if it works. I also use Exorex scalp lotion (from the chemist) which is about £8 but it lasts for months. Don't worry about the hairdresser, just go, they've all been nice enough to handle my hair and cut it! I'm sure your scalp will get better but give it some time.

bodeniites Tue 29-Sep-09 17:41:13

or you could get a mobile hairdresser and explain the problem to them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now