Talk

Advanced search

ooh-er. Gave DD the DIY haircut. Not sure now....

(32 Posts)
pagwatch Mon 28-Sep-09 11:12:19

what do you think?

Her hair was soooo in need of a cut but can't get to hairdressers in the week and weekends are too busy with the other children etc.

She loves it but she is only just 7 and i think it is too old for her.
Can you tell me what you think..Do I need to get to hairdressers ASAP?

( be kind)

ChopsTheDuck Mon 28-Sep-09 11:16:08

I think she looks adorable!I don't think it is too mature, though she does look a bit older than 7 in those pics. It is still quite long so think it carries quite well.

Hogiabach Mon 28-Sep-09 11:16:10

Are they the ones on your profile? If so she is one lucky girl to have a talented hairdresser as a mum it's fab!

pagwatch Mon 28-Sep-09 11:20:08

yep. the first photos on my profile are the ones I took after cutting it.
The ones further down are how she usually has it.

She is just only 7 though - a few weeks ago.
I think I am just a bit shocked at how old she looks.

Hogiabach - not talented at all! It is the MN cut it yourself method and my first go [scarey emoticon] grin

ChopsTheDuck Mon 28-Sep-09 11:22:03

put some sparkly slides in it.

I really do think it is fine though. I'm almost tempted to try it with my dd now. She is 9 and has been begging for a haircut for ages and I won't let her!

PinkTulips Mon 28-Sep-09 11:23:10

pag... what exactly is the diy MN method... i keep reading referances to it

[too-lazy-to-search-icon]

pagwatch Mon 28-Sep-09 11:24:01

grin
hang on. will find it for you...

PinkTulips Mon 28-Sep-09 11:24:06

she looks gorgeous btw, it's a very natural look and it suits her face even better than the very traditional style in the older pics

ChopsTheDuck Mon 28-Sep-09 11:28:28

pagwatch, does your dd have thick or fine hair?

dd's hair isn't very thick, wondering if that style will work for her. I'm getting married on sat and I'm really getting tempted now to reach for the scissors to give her a new style for the day!

Flamesparrow Mon 28-Sep-09 11:28:28

Oh she looks lovely

PandaEis Mon 28-Sep-09 11:28:50

she looks a bit older than 7 but the style really suits hersmile she is very prettysmile
the pics of your house are like my dream houseblushgrinenvy mine looks like a tumble down shackgrinhmm
xx ei xx

pagwatch Mon 28-Sep-09 11:29:48

this is it

so easy I couldn't quite believe it.

I might do me next time at which point I would have to get hers done differently
(mother and DD with same haircuts =arrrggghh)

TrillianAstra Mon 28-Sep-09 11:34:51

Looks lovely - I am quite tempted to do that haircut on myself (but nice and long like your DD so I don't get a crazy fringe).

pagwatch Mon 28-Sep-09 11:37:04

chops.
her hair is fairly fine. she has always had to have some layers at the front to stop it just looking straggly. Butthe cut gives it lots of bounce and volume.

Oh you are all very nice about it.
I will let her keep it and see if I can just get used to her not being a little one anymore.
smile

PinkTulips Mon 28-Sep-09 11:51:00

looks cool, but i don't think i'd be brave enough to do it to myself and dd refuses to have hr hair cut... ds2's is getting quite long though.............. wink

thell Mon 28-Sep-09 11:51:20

It's gorgeous!
She does look a bit older than 7 but not inappropriately so, it's very pretty.
Agree that slides / alice band over the top would tone it down a bit anyway.

Eyeballls Mon 28-Sep-09 11:53:40

I just did mine again over the weekend as I wanted the front a bit more feathery than it was the last time I MNetted it and I'm really pleased with it. I do have a slight fringe but at the sides so not a scary fringe. I have very fine hair and it works for me although I have to straighten.

Your dd looks lovely and as someone said you can always stick a few hairslides in to tone it down a bit if it's bothering you.

The MN haircut rocks. I have a hairstyle for the first time in 20 years!

ThePhantomPlopper Mon 28-Sep-09 12:01:32

She looks great, older than 7 yes, but not in a bad way.

Ivykaty44 Mon 28-Sep-09 12:07:29

It looks great and very natural, not to "old" a look when it is natural.

Love the house smile in the photos

pagwatch Mon 28-Sep-09 12:14:12

the slides and hairband thing is a good point.
She has to have it up for school anyway so that is covered IYSWIM. But I can get her some pretty clips for everyday.

Eyeballs - is it easy to keep maintained - do you have to snip at it often to keep it soft IYSWIM

suwoo Mon 28-Sep-09 12:17:10

Ooh it looks fab, I am so tempted to do the same. DD has thick wavy hair, so I think it would work well. Our DD's have the same name don't they Pagwatch IIRC??

OrmIrian Mon 28-Sep-09 12:18:05

Pag - she looks gorgeous and it suits her very well smile

pagwatch Mon 28-Sep-09 12:20:04

ooh that sounds familiar suwoo . They are not unalike are they smile

Eyeballls Mon 28-Sep-09 12:32:42

It's very easy to keep especially if you've got straight hair to start with envy. I trim it every two to three months but only because i like the layering at the front. If you keep it fairly long then you don't get the shorter layers that I like. But for a 7yo I would keep it a bit longer and it'll be lovely (and cheap!)

oh and your house is alright too I suppose... envy envy envy

pagwatch Mon 28-Sep-09 12:45:04

thanks!

(and thanks for the envys too. Just be grateful you don't have to hoover it, or wash the windows....)
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now