Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have these boots and no idea what to wear them with

(27 Posts)

These boots were a fantastic sale bargain at the end of last year. Problem is I wear jeans all the time, just not a skirt gal but these deserve being shown. I love them. I haven't got a fantastic figure or legs but at 5'9 and size 14 it's acceptable I am also 33 so no crotch skimming styles. I am a SAHM so need something relatively hard wearing but my DH hates denim skirts. I tried to get a GAP cord monroe skirt but everywhere seems sold out in my size.

Suggestions please...

tulpe Mon 28-Sep-09 09:04:12

why not wear your jeans tucked into them?

Fat Face are pretty good at skirts designed to be worn with boots.

something similar to Gap here

or different shape but would look nice with boots

Because my thighs are my worse feature and look even worse with jeans tucked into boots (my DH is very honest about things like this!). I live in Fat Face things usually but haven't been in for a while due to cost cutting, will have a look at that cord skirt thanks.

fishie Mon 28-Sep-09 09:12:21

libra you are 33 not 83! you can wear whatever you like.

i was just about going to link to that ff skirt. there are some nice dresses reduced too. or white stuff? i find their skirts a bit long but have a look, you are 4" taller than me!

tulpe Mon 28-Sep-09 09:13:57

Also Monsoon used to do lots of "wear with boots" kind of skirts - similar to Fat Face ones. If you are anywhere near Bicester Shopping Village, there is a bargainous Monsoon there where you will find their skirts at a fraction of the regular store price. Doesn't matter if they are last seasons

dexter73 Mon 28-Sep-09 09:14:26

10% off at Fat Face code AU9SIB until 30/9.

dexter73 Mon 28-Sep-09 09:44:27

I like this purple cord skirt.

funkyanna37 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:55:59

I would wear these with black leggings or skinny jeans... Hear me out... and team it with a long jumper dress. I had a great one last year in orange with a big cowl bit around the neck - I could have used your boots!

happyschoolrun Mon 28-Sep-09 22:28:15

They are lovely boots. You can try to wera it with a knitted dress in grey or something similar...

brokenspacebar Mon 28-Sep-09 22:34:09

I agree with happy, a dress would be good, then you are avoiding the jean thing that you don't like.

Lots of good jersey/ wool dresses about, try h&m if you are on a budget, and with your height Zara might be good too.

CybilLiberty Mon 28-Sep-09 22:57:58

If your dh hates denim skirts, tell him not to wear them

UnrequitedSkink Mon 28-Sep-09 23:01:31

I agree, skinny jeans or leggings with long tunics/dresses over, that stop just above the knee - thus hiding the wider part of your thighs, and emphasising what lovely long legs you have.

whoingodsnameami Mon 28-Sep-09 23:03:38

grin

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Mon 28-Sep-09 23:08:10

Ooh, I've got those boots (well, the version they did about 3 years ago, wihout the buckle at the heel).

Have worn them to death for the last 3 winters - maybe I'll try some like yours, they've refined the style so well.

Not much help sorry - I'm also an SAHM but have tended to mostly wear jeans - resolving to get boots and decent skirts this year.

Amandoh Mon 28-Sep-09 23:21:19

Knitted dress here at Phase Eight. Another here at Kew. Or I found a similar skirt to the Gap grey cord one you linked to here on Ebay.

Amandoh Mon 28-Sep-09 23:26:11

Forgot to say....

LOVE the boots!

CybilLiberty I know women should dress for themselves yadda yadda yadda but I don't see me, if it was up to me I would be quite happy in tracksuit bottoms, t-shirts and flip-flops for the rest of my life. I do not get people who say ohh I wear high heels and makeup to feel good for ME. Really? You cause damage to your feet and get up 10 minutes early to make yourself feel good about yourself doing something you can't even see for most of the day (unless you are narsassistic (sp) enough to spend the day looking in mirrors). I dress for other people and my DH doesn't like denim skirts so I don't wear denim skirts as it's quite a small thing in the scheme of things.

Dexter - thanks for the 10%!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't have the thighs for leggings or skinny jeans it looks like sausage casing if I try!

Posters who suggested the wool dresses - might be a plan think I might drag my DH on a shopping trip with boots to see what suits me, haven't seen a Zara in Guildford unfort!

Amandoh thanks for the examples and going to keep an eye on that ebay skirt! Do H&M sizes come up big or small do you know?

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper the boots are super-comfy but these versions have quite a wide calf opening so not really good for under jeans IYSWIM.

Jewelsandgems Tue 29-Sep-09 07:33:13

Libra I understand about skinny jeans and your thighs, but with the right top your thighs will not be seen, but the skinny jeans or leggings will just give you lots of options. Currently I am wearing the biker boot/legging/floral dress combo and (at 31) hope it's a look I can pull off for a while yet! At 33, don't dress too mature (and I find the cord skirt/boots combo can be a little bit....) and I am not a fan of denim skirts either, unless they are the shorter box pleat style.

P.S really gorgeous boots

brokenspacebar Tue 29-Sep-09 09:40:23

Libra, h&m sizing can be a bit hit and miss (same with Zara), but really it is worth trying lots of clothes on there. I got a lovely soft v-neck jumper dress there recently (£9.99!) - it is stretchy and very forgiving. I find shirts/anything too fitted not so good there. They have lots of different styles, from quite smart/office style clothes to casual and young and funky. T-shirts there are great, lovely colours, good for wearing under dresses.

I am between a size 10 -12 (10 Monsoon petite, 12 in Topshop petite).

Dorothy Perkins worth a look too, though my local one is crap, I find shopping online there better for me.

brokenspacebar Tue 29-Sep-09 09:42:26

sorry meant to add that in H&M I tend to go for a medium or a 14.

DP much more generously cut so I wear a size ten there.

wuglet Tue 29-Sep-09 09:45:29

Libra I too am fat generously proportioned in the thigh department and I spend my whole life in long tops/tunics/dresses over jeans/leggings/whatever.

I think it looks OK
<self doubt creeping in now!>

Amandoh Tue 29-Sep-09 11:49:35

As BrokenSpaceBar said, H&M are a bit hit and miss size wise. Having said that, the Ebay skirt is still at 50p, so even if it's the wrong size it'll give you an idea of what your boots look like with a skirt then you can either charity shop it or re-list.

Agree with Jewels&Jems re skinny jeans. If you're not keen on your thighs then a tunic top would be great for you. Do you like the look of this?

Also, had a look at your profile and I'd kill for your arms!

CybilLiberty Tue 29-Sep-09 17:01:16

But Libra I get your point but clothes are not just about how you look it's how they they make you feel.

Clothes are not just body coverings to keep us warm ,if they were we would all wear sack cloth and the fashion industry would grind to a halt.It is not narcisstic to want to look nice.

I would never wear anything to please anyone else...or stop wearing something I liked just because my dh didn't want to look at me wearing it.

FWIW I' am also 5 ft 9 and size 14 so you can't be that bad!

CybilLiberty Tue 29-Sep-09 17:02:19

I used to live in Farnham too

suggy Tue 29-Sep-09 17:23:28

I've had those boots in brown for 4 winters. They are ace. I wear them with denim skirt, tucked into jeans, leggings, long wool skirts for work, tunics.

I think jeans and boots work well on any shape - if the top balances it out.

I lived in Farnham too... Good job we're not all there in identical boots ;-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now