Talk

Advanced search

I'm a ginge. Why can't I buy a hair dye in Boots?

(14 Posts)
BethAndHerBrood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:08:00

I want to lighten/blondify my hair. But all the boxes I've seen are for brunettes or blondes. I'm a Hair Dye Virgin! Help me!!

whoingodsnameami Sun 27-Sep-09 22:11:04

DIY homekits are an utter waste of money IMO, get it done proffesionally, pricey but worth it. And a hairdresser told me, If you use pantene, when planning on having hair dyed, for 3 or 4 washes before use a different shampoo, pantene coats the hair in silicone making dying very hard to take.

cocolepew Sun 27-Sep-09 22:11:39

You need to buy a blonde dye to go blonde! They aren't going to put a redhead on a blonde box.

BethAndHerBrood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:23:01

Can't afford to get it done proffesionally.

So just because there is no mention of red hair anywhere, doesn't mean I shouldn't use it? All the boxes I looked at showed you what the dye would look like on different coloured hair. No red hair anywhere.

I might just leave it. I'm a bit chicken!

whoingodsnameami Sun 27-Sep-09 22:24:14

You could buy one and test patch first.

cocolepew Sun 27-Sep-09 22:25:22

Oh sorry! I picked yu up wrong <<dim>> If I were you I'd try a highlighting kit. My hair is dark and and it goes from red to orange to blonde during the process.

BethAndHerBrood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:27:37

"it goes from red to orange to blonde"

I am now officially frightened!

Tell me about highlighting kits, please? Is it easy?

cocolepew Sun 27-Sep-09 22:31:33

Oh yes, hat on head, pull hair through, slap on dye and cross fingers.

Actualy I'm very gung-ho about dyeing my hair, maybe a test patch would be a bettter idea.

cocolepew Sun 27-Sep-09 22:31:57

ttt?hmm

MrsMopple Sun 27-Sep-09 22:33:47

Just a word of caution. I decided to dye my blonde (bleached) hair brown on Friday because I fancied a change and it HAS gone brown, but with a green tinge shock which isn't quite the effect I was after.
If only I'd googled BEFORE doing the deed, I'd have been forewarned. SO, I'd google it if I were you and there's bound to be some tips about which one is best etc.

WickedWench Sun 27-Sep-09 22:35:21

Definitely get it done professionally - particularly if you're a ginge.

You need to get the strength of peroxide and development time absolutely spot on otherwise you'll end up a brassy orange colour or seriously damage your hair. Depending on how light you want to go it might have to be done in stages.

Am not a hairdresser by the way, have just had enough of my own DIY disasters!

BethAndHerBrood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:39:50

Oh God.....

Do I have to sell one of DH's kidneys to get my hair done? I shall look into it tomorrow.

I deffo think I'm too chicken to do it myself now. I'm not particularly good with that sort of thing to start with, best not to tempt fate, perhaps?!

Thanks all.

Ivykaty44 Sun 27-Sep-09 22:55:43

Go to your local college and get a hairdressing student to do the job - she/he will have far more experiance than you do and it will cost you about two pound more than the dye kit, she/he will be supervised by a very experianced hairdresser so will be very safe.

You can get foils which cost a small fortune in some places for under twenty quid

WickedWench Sun 27-Sep-09 23:48:20

Or ring round a few local salons and ask if they want customers for training days. A few salons I've been to do this and you can save a fortune.

It's very similar to what Ivy suggests, all fully supervised, but you might not have a college that trains stylists close by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now