Talk

Advanced search

Do people still wear hats to weddings?

(18 Posts)
mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 20:34:31

Or is that pretty much over?
How about fascinators?
Haven't been to a wedding for ages and have one next week, wondering whether head needs to be dressed

southeastastra Sun 27-Sep-09 20:36:06

beehives will be big in 2010 i've heard <taps nose>

CybilLiberty Sun 27-Sep-09 20:36:27

NO TO fascinator. they are everywhere. i think hats will come back but nothing is fine too.Church?

squeaver Sun 27-Sep-09 20:41:06

I love wearing hats to weddings. NEVER fascinators. But these days it seems to be older women, or the very posh, who wear them.

If you want to, wear one.

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 20:43:02

Yes, church wedding.
I haven't worn a fascinator before but I saw some quite marvellous ones in Monsoon recently.
I must be getting old

PortAndLemon Sun 27-Sep-09 20:46:26

Some people wear hats, but most don't.

I wore a hat to SIL's wedding this year because I bought a Hat (with a very definite capital H) for a wedding ten years ago, justified it to myself on the basis that I would wear it to lots of weddings, but had only ever worn it to that first wedding.

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 20:47:34

Ooh tell me about your Hat Port

Heated Sun 27-Sep-09 20:52:38

Yes, to a church wedding most female guest ime wear a hat, fascinator or dress the hair in some way. If the wedding wasn't in church I'd use the formality of the reception & venue as a guide.

MrsBadger Sun 27-Sep-09 21:01:36

depends on the wedding

outfits suggested on here for weddings vary wildy from linen suits to strapless minidresses, suggesting there is a wide range of sartorial codes.

basically the older, posher and/or more formal the guest / wedding / venue, the more likely hats are to be worn

and do not wear a hat for a 5pm or later wedding - however formal it is it is officially Evening and you need to err towards cocktail dresses.

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 21:02:56

Depends also if you look good in a hat. I don't and therefore I don't wear hats (plus can't abide hat hair)

Second the big NO to fascinators. They may have been rather funky once, but they're far too middle aged M&S woman now.

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 21:05:31

Mrs Badger, are that teacher from ladette to lady wink
Thank you, I wish I had more knowledge of etiquette in these situations. It's an early afternoon wedding, very formal reception. I am mid thirties but short and love the idea of adding height smile

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 21:08:45

www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/59145503
Isn't this quite nice though?

LittleWhiteWolf Sun 27-Sep-09 21:13:45

At our wedding last year we had a handful of Women Of A Certain Age wearing hats, including my mum. We did not have a Church wedding sadly as that fell through, but it was a nice place called The Great Barn. A few younger women wore fascinators but the most went without and I was a little disappointed. I love hats so if any of my mates ever get around to getting hitched I will relish hat shopping! At the very least I would wear a fascinator.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 27-Sep-09 21:16:07

I went to a (reasonably fancy) wedding this summer, and mine was the only undressed head among the women. A roughly 2:1 ratio of fascinators to hats.

MrsBadger Sun 27-Sep-09 21:20:52

yes I am wink

def sounds like hat/fascinator territory
do not wear a big brimmed hat if you are short else you look like a mushroom

good hat-for-face-shape guide here

PortAndLemon Sun 27-Sep-09 21:26:21

The Hat is pretty wide and fairly swirly, but its claim to the status of Hat is largely dependent on being an extremely bright shade of electric/royal blue. At SIL's wedding complete strangers (OK, one complete stranger. But that's one more than normally stops me in the street at a wedding) stopped me in the street to comment on it...

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 21:32:44

Great websire Mrs B, Thank you!
Port and Lemon, I wanted one of those gorgeous wide ones but am too short to get away with it, so I will go for height.

MrsBadger Sun 27-Sep-09 21:43:35

it is good, isn't it?
and she is an MNer so I never feel bad abotu boosting her google ranking grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now