Talk

Advanced search

Please advise on footwear to go with midnight blue flower girl dress

(6 Posts)
mysteryfairy Sun 27-Sep-09 12:46:51

DD is 7 but about 135cm tall so takes an age 9-10 in clothes approx lengthwise. As she needs an age 7 width wise we have regular nightmares finding clothes to fit. She is due to be a flowergirl next month and the dress and jacket the bride chose were impossible. In order to get a decent length she was faced with something about three times as wide as she is and it looked as if it would be impossible to be able to alter it to a decent fit as there was just so much excess material. (Kind of liking trying to make a size 18 fit you if you were an 8 or something.)

We have negotiated that she will wear a midnight blue dress like the older bridesmaids and I am just going to buy one from Monsoon where stuff tends to fit a bit narrower and we might find a style that can get away with being a bit on the short side. (They have about 3 or 4 dark blue dresses in the winter collection.)

I'm now totally bemused as to what to do re shoes and tights. What colours are going to look ok with midnight blue? Originally shoes were going to be silver as the flower girl dress was ivory with silver sequins on and a midnight blue sash.

I had actually ordered these in silver a few weeks ago and at the time they were on a 3 week delay but I have checked with Boden and they now say I won't be getting them til November sad:

boden ballet pumps

I'm not sure if these or any other silver shoes would do anyway because I can't imagine what tights would look ok with both midnight blue and silver.

I desperately need advice on this and don't tell me to ask the bride - I think she is sick of me and my too tall daughter already (She is a SIL, not a DSis so less approachable.)

KormaNotReallyHereChameleon Sun 27-Sep-09 12:51:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mysteryfairy Sun 27-Sep-09 13:11:20

Thanks for the link - there are some lovely shoes there. I'm not sure about ivory with midnight blue though - it seems a bit unbalanced to me, like topping off a black outfit with white court shoes or something?

mollyroger Sun 27-Sep-09 13:13:21

silver would be perfect....do monsoon not have any?

mejon Sun 27-Sep-09 13:14:05

Monsoon have some pretty shoes and tights on their website. There are nice silver shoes with some glittery silver tights or what about navy shoes/silver tights or silver shoes/navy tights?

mysteryfairy Sun 27-Sep-09 13:23:45

I am a bit anti-monsoon for shoes as DD had some when she was a bridesmaid last winter, wore them for the first time on the wedding day and the ankle strap had parted company with the shoe even before the ceremony.

I've just had a look and seen this pair which might be ok:
navy pumps

I don't think they have the reuse potential of the boden silver pumps which I had thought would do parties through the winter but I suppose they might be more subtle on the day. I could play safe and do navy tights and shoes I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now