Talk

Advanced search

Tummy tuck For or Against?

(19 Posts)
GBABE Sat 26-Sep-09 21:58:14

After having a second baby 15 months after the first and being 9lb 6oz my stomach swelled up a tad! I had physio for my split stomach muscles but they have never been the same, I have this bulge from under my chest to above my non existent belly button! The excess skin is under neath the bulge! Anynone in the same boat as me, or considering or had an operation? Opinions/experiences wanted. Thanks X

thehairybabysmum Sat 26-Sep-09 22:08:40

Id love one...thinking of having another one though so wouldnt til after then if it happens.

Naetha Sat 26-Sep-09 22:13:39

Am definitely considering (no 2 due in Nov) as have a very saggy belly.

I've told myself I'd have to reach a set weight though, and maintain that weight for over a year before committing as there's no point in having a flat tummy if you're lardy everywhere else.

suwoo Sat 26-Sep-09 22:17:11

I, thankfully am ok stomach wise, but you should see the state of my arse sad. If I was in your shoes and could afford it, I would definitely go for it. I had a breast reduction on the NHS at 19 and would have future surgery where neccessary.

MillyMollyMoo Sat 26-Sep-09 22:30:11

Against you can get your stomach flat it's 99.9% diet and if you don't change your eating habits it's a complete waste of time, as Kerry Katona proves.
Personally I would spend the money on boobs as nothing will restore their perkiness.

cheesesarnie Sat 26-Sep-09 22:33:08

if i had money it would go on my boobs.

Amandoh Sat 26-Sep-09 22:41:13

Definitely for!

I had one two years ago and am very pleased with the results.

When I had my first baby in 1993 I suffered heart failure followed by complete vital organ shut down. Anyway to cut a long and tedious medical history story short I filled with fluid due to the kidney failure. Once all the fluid was gone my skin was very stretched and I hated my stomach. Two more babies followed and my stomach looked worse with each pregnancy.

Post op my stomach is completey flat (Pics on profile). I know some people consider having a tummy tuck "cheating" but you can't exercise away loose skin.

If you're seriously considering this then go to your GP as he'll be able to recommend a local surgeon whose work your GP will be familiar with. Don't go to one of the clinics advertised in the back of glossy magazines. They say they've been in business for years, which is true, the company has, but their surgeons come and go.

Tommy Sat 26-Sep-09 22:44:45

a friend of mine has had one and I must adnit, when she showed me her tummy. I was quite envious and though I would quite like one and I have never considered any sort of surgery like that.

I got down to my pre pregancy weight before DS3 was conceived but my flabby tummy is always there - ain't gonna go any other way grin

cheesesarnie Sat 26-Sep-09 22:45:51

Amandoh-you are stunning!

MarquesDeLeon Sat 26-Sep-09 23:20:10

Amandoh you look great - worth every penny - cats are lovely as well!

Amandoh Sun 27-Sep-09 19:34:35

CheeseSarnie & MarquesDeLeon...

Thank you both. Although I think a flattering camera angle worked in my favour.

However... Once I have that nose job!

FatFree Sun 27-Sep-09 19:43:57

Thinking about having one done too. I've always been a bit lardy and after having 3 kids my tummy was gruesome!

I hated how i looked in a bikini and decided to lose some weight. I'm a short arse at 5ft 3 and used to weigh 13 stone. I got down to 8 stone and my tummy looks worse than before and i still hate myself in a bikini!

The worst thing is leaning over and seeing all the hanging skin on my stomach sad

My friend had a gastric band fitted and lots tons of weight and had a tummy tuck at the end of it which looks fab. But then i see the pics of when it goes wrong and start panicking about having it done.

wish someone could wave a magic wand and guarantee fab results without the thought of catching mrsa!!!

Amandoh Sun 27-Sep-09 19:55:01

Fatfree...

The risk of catching MRSA in a private hospital is negligable.
Why not book a consultation with a surgeon? you'll see photos of his work and he can give you a realistic idea of how your stomach could look.

You've done absolutely the right thing in losing the excess weight before planning a tummy tuck. It's not a weight loss miracle. Quite the opposite infact. For roughly 6 weeks or more post op you have to take things easy. It's very easy to comfort eat with your feet up! Another Quality Street anyone?

If you're in the SE I'd be happy to give you details of the surgeon that I used. Alternatively, get a recommendation from your GP.

BedofRosesItAintII Sun 27-Sep-09 20:23:44

I carried my babies high, and now have loose skin above the below button.

But I would rather not have an operation, I feel that I would be sending my children the wrong message with regards to accepting oneself. I dress carefully, and work hard on keeping my weight down.

A friend of mind said that her Dh suggested that the money she proposed to spent on surgery, should be spent on therapy to help her accept herself as she is without surgery!

But you need to be happy with how you look, one way or another.

FatFree Sun 27-Sep-09 20:55:56

I am in the SE Amandoh, how can i contact your for the details? smile

Btw you do look fab in your photos smile

jellybeans Sun 27-Sep-09 21:15:32

I am strongly against it unless for serious medical reasons (hernia repair etc). My reasons are mainly that I think society is crazy, people cutting themselves up to look better/younger etc, it's a slippery slope. Most women end up with post baby tum so that's normal NOT abnormal as we are led to think/feel by celebs/media. We all get old and wrinkly one day!! I nearly died after a c section so would never choose non essential surgery. I feel it would be selfish to my kids to risk my life just for looks. I also saw a program once about a woman who had one and it didn't really look much better and she had scars hip to hip, abit like she had been sliced in half, abit creepy, so it doesn't always look so great.

Amandoh Sun 27-Sep-09 21:32:49

FatFree ~ Thanks for the compliment smile.

I went to Mr Tanner in Tunbridge Wells. This is his website.
Please also see your GP too though. You can ask who they recommend and go for a few consultations. You might prefer one surgeon over another and it's important you feel comfortable with them.

Let us know how you get on won't you if you do decide to go ahead.

FatFree Sun 27-Sep-09 22:05:59

Thank you very much for the link smile, now i just need some dutch couragegrin

GBABE Mon 28-Sep-09 14:34:16

Thank you for all your comments!

Re the weight issue, I am fine, which makes the saggy skin worse for me. I was lucky to put on only a stone with both my girls pregnancies, which makes the excess skin look worse!

I have thought of the risk of surgery and the girls imrpession of me, maybe I should do thearapy instead!

I think I will definitely have a chat with my GP at the very least and go from there. Thanks girls.

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now