Talk

Advanced search

Underskirts????

(15 Posts)
gorgeousgirl Sat 26-Sep-09 20:23:04

I want to get some lovely wool dresses for winter to wear with opaque tights and knee length boots... But will the dress stick to the tights? I don't really want it to cling/ start to ride up.

So what do you girls all do? I was thinking about underskirts, but I have never owned one...

Advice desperately needed!!

onepieceoflollipop Sat 26-Sep-09 20:26:17

I haven't worn an underskirt since school days. They used to be called "petticoats" too didn' they?

I think that if the dress isn't man made fibre, then you may be ok. Fabric conditioner will also reduce static/clinging (I hate fabric condition btw but I guess it has its uses!)

tulpe Sat 26-Sep-09 23:12:03

Any clinging can be resolved by spraying your tights with hairspray.......seriously

But yes, I agree with onepiece, that if the dress isn't made of manmade fibres you should be okay

<<shudders at crunchiness of acrylic......its like nails down a chalkboard to me).

scrimble Sun 27-Sep-09 10:00:47

I've been wondering about underskirts too. I have a cotton skirt (it's fairly stiff fabric) that clings to tights. Annoying. Also, I have a couple of skirts that aren't lined and I think they'd hang better with just a little bit more fabric underneath.

I did some googling* but didn't unearth anything useful. Does anyone know where one can get underskirts?

*Not sure I used 'underskirt' as a search term now that I think about it...

MrsBadger Sun 27-Sep-09 10:30:27

they're called slips these days

M&S

gorgeousgirl Sun 27-Sep-09 10:37:50

I didn't know my terminology was so out of date!! I must be getting old!! shock

scrimble Sun 27-Sep-09 10:54:32

I actually thought 'slips' was the old fashioned terminology. blush

Lilymaid Sun 27-Sep-09 11:01:28

Here they are!

MrsBadger Sun 27-Sep-09 11:03:07

can't fight M&S re lingerie terminology

janeite Sun 27-Sep-09 14:28:31

Mine is from M&S but it's rubbish, as I find it does exactly what its name says and 'slips'. Better, in my opinion, is a slip-dress shaped one, so it can't creep down and escape from the bottom of your dress or bulk up around your waist and give you an extra tyre. I have been on a quest for several years to get a short black silk one but have so far failed.

Hope this serves as a bump for you anyway.

Fleecy Sun 27-Sep-09 14:39:14

I bought a mid-calf length one from a local independent shop that sells things designed to appeal to someone a few years older than me!

I chopped it when I got home so it's now a mini - goes under anything but stops the worst of the cling.

You could try that?

StayFrosty Sun 27-Sep-09 14:46:49

I always wear an underskirt. Apart from cling, it stops skirts creasing round the bum when you sit down.

MrsBadger Sun 27-Sep-09 14:54:07

Janeite you need Sulis

not cheap but lovely - I still wear the one DH bought me before we were even engaged

janeite Sun 27-Sep-09 14:57:36

Mrs B - that is perfect. Have you used their online delivery before?

MrsBadger Sun 27-Sep-09 19:50:05

yes but as I say it was years ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now