Talk

Advanced search

What shoes do you wear for park visits or dog walking/watching football on the side of muddy pitches etc.? and would you recommend them..

(35 Posts)
foxinsocks Sat 26-Sep-09 19:31:05

because I need a pair of shoes that I can wear on the weekends for taking the children out to the park and also lots of sport watching

I find my feet are getting v sore in trainers and I know, as soon as it gets wet/muddy, they will be hopeless. Guess I'm looking for a light walking shoe that won't make my feet too hot, is easily cleanable (or not easy to look dirty!) but is good in winter iyswim

Clure Sat 26-Sep-09 19:37:07

something like this bargain

foxinsocks Sat 26-Sep-09 19:46:20

don't they feel a bit restrictive though (boots like that)?

foxinsocks Sat 26-Sep-09 19:51:45

they are pretty bargainous aren't they compared to the other shoes on there!

Clure Sat 26-Sep-09 19:54:28

I think they probably are quite supportive - walking boots generally are, especially if you are walking rough ground. If your looking for something a bit lighter a bit more like a trainer

Wellington boots.

Watch a lot of rugby in bleak mid-winter and always have wellies in car, why ruin a pair of shoes?

foxinsocks Sat 26-Sep-09 20:01:28

you know, I wore Wellies last year but I kept forgetting them! Can't drive in them so had to remember to put them in the car (and I managed to forget them more than half the time hmm). They also made my feet really hot and sweaty.

you're good at finding bargains Clure! those millets ones also have an additional 20% off!

Amandoh Sat 26-Sep-09 20:38:05

Not sure how light these Clarks lace ups are but they look easy to clean.

Are you open to wearing boots? I walk miles with my dogs and my current comfy favourites are these boots that I bought a week or so ago. They're very light with a non-slip sole.

Caz10 Sat 26-Sep-09 20:41:59

Goodness amandoh these would be my posh going out boots! grin

Interested in the answer to this one myself though. has anyone splashed out on Hunter wellies, are they worth it? I had cheapos but couldn't walk any distance in them.

vinblanc Sat 26-Sep-09 20:45:34

I wear hiking boots (Timberland).

Zembo Sat 26-Sep-09 20:52:00

I wear MBTs and would recommend, very comfortable and fairly easy to clean, but also considering wellies for when its really muddy.

Amandoh Sat 26-Sep-09 20:59:50

I have a pair of Hunter welly boots but find them a bit comebersome. I'm only 5'4" so they reach my knees and dig in at the back as I walk. They're quite wide too. I look a bit like one of those fishing gnomes in them.

I certainly couldn't wear them for a long walk and they've only ever seen the light of day out in the garden. Luckily they were given to me. I'd have been very disappointed if I'd paid for them.

Littlepumpkinpie Sat 26-Sep-09 21:16:05

I wear walking boots for dog walking and going to the park with the dc in the winter months. They are breathable and water resistent so my feet are comfy and dry.

Caz10 Sat 26-Sep-09 21:17:26

I saw calf height Hunters somewhere...50 squid though...

Rubyrubyruby Sat 26-Sep-09 21:18:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hatwoman Sat 26-Sep-09 21:21:18

oh I've got a shoe for all occassions. I wear wellies, my 20-year old but going strong full on proper leather walking boots, my fell running shoes (like a trainer really but with better grip, less cushioning, slightly more robust material and in an "already looks muddy" hue), my normal trainers and my timberlands. when I was a townie living in your parts fox I generally prefered my Timerlands - they look ok with jeans and are fine for most conditions in Richmond park etc.

hatwoman Sat 26-Sep-09 21:23:30

what are MBTs?

hatwoman Sat 26-Sep-09 21:25:18

these in pale blue

hatwoman Sat 26-Sep-09 21:26:22

and these are my fell-running shoes

Rubyrubyruby Sat 26-Sep-09 21:28:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sunburntats Sat 26-Sep-09 21:29:04

wellies, defo wellies, that way you can hose all the dog shite off them that you will inevitably step in while out and about.

hatwoman Sat 26-Sep-09 21:29:31

i know. I just retreated when I saw that I'd posted 4 times in a row blush. decided not to link to my wellies...grin

Zembo Sat 26-Sep-09 21:45:28

My MBTs are similar to these

foxinsocks Sun 27-Sep-09 07:32:40

ooooh thank you for all these links!

hat, how's it going oop north? Was wondering how you were!

Amanda, I also have an old pair of Hunters. I am a pretty standard size 5 and I find the boots, even with a thick sock on, far too wide for my feet making any long walk impossible (as my foot moves around too much). I wore them throughout the snow last year and they did a great job but I wouldn't want to be in them any longer than necessary.

I should really post a separate topic about my quest for the perfect welly but needless to say, I am nearing 40 and I'm still nowhere near finding it!

most of the ones you have linked to are sold near where I work so I will go and have an epic trying on session! Will def go for a waterproof one I think. Nothing worse than coming back with soggy feet.

foxinsocks Sun 27-Sep-09 07:33:29

gwan hat, you know you want to post a link to your wellies grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now