Talk

Advanced search

How do I get a nice, natural looking blonde head of hair..?

(5 Posts)
goodbook Sat 26-Sep-09 18:58:08

I was a natural golden blonde until my early twenties but now I'm naturally a mousey dark blonde colour, mixed with an increasing amount of grey.

What I'd like is to dye my hair what I think you'd call an ash blonde colour. I don't think a golden blonde suits me now I'm in my mid 40's.

The trouble is that all the boxes of dye I've tired have left me looking brassy more golden than I would like.

I've tried various colour blondes - natural, ash etc - but although initally they have looked toned down, after a few washes my hair gets more and more brassy golden and it really doesn't suit my skin colouring. I have read that as blonde dye washes out it does leave the brass red tones as more dominant.

So, any suggestions, please? Would it help to be brave and go for a "light" blonde?

I did try that purple rinse shampoo to try and tone it down but I couldn't see a difference.

BTW I'm not keen to go to a hairdresser for highlights.

TIA

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Sat 26-Sep-09 19:01:44

TBH the best way to achieve a colour that suits your skin tone is a GOOD colourist - sorry.

I thought my home dye jobs were quite good until I actually had my hair coloured by a professional.

It can be hard to find a good one though. Find someone who's got great coloured hair and ask who their hairdresser is.

I always think multi-tonal hair looks the best which is quite hard to achieve well at home.

RubyBlueberry Sat 26-Sep-09 19:02:02

You need the purple shampoo & conditioner by Toni & Guy, that will help loads, also the purple / ash leave in mousse. You can also use Inecto hint of a tint every other shampoo, but TBH I have exactly the same hair as you and I have given up. My hair wants to be mousy so I am going reddish instead of blonde and although I really don't like it as much it's cheaper and better for your hair....
Highlights would help LOADS though, just a half head of ashy and caramel will get rid of the gold

goodbook Sat 26-Sep-09 19:08:08

Oh, okay, thanks for all that info, Ruby, which I hadn't heard before.

Will google and have a look at those products.

As you say, ILike, finding a GOOD colourist is the issue!

vjg13 Sat 26-Sep-09 19:09:18

I think that highlights at the hairdresser is the way to go too. Three different shades and it will look great. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now