Talk

Advanced search

Child's coat in cotton

(25 Posts)
used2bthin Fri 25-Sep-09 20:53:12

I tried starting a thread in children's health but no one answered. I know it is a boring thread but I am looking fr a winter coat for DD, aged three. Her eczema and psoriasis get bad in winter and last year was even worse after wearing a wool duffel coat and polyester cheapy puffa thing. Any ideas?

VerityBrulee Fri 25-Sep-09 21:16:10

Would cord be alright?

Dd has a lovely fine cord trench coat from Monsoon, last years I think. It's lined in cotton, so reasonably warm, in the really cold weather maybe she could layer it with a cardigan.

used2bthin Fri 25-Sep-09 21:19:04

Thats a good idea verity cord probably is ok I think? I will check out Monsoon. You don't often see actual cotton winter coats do you? I was also wondering about GAP's warmest winter coat-its lined with down though so may be bad?

VerityBrulee Fri 25-Sep-09 21:20:14

This is the same as dds

Pollyanna Fri 25-Sep-09 21:22:48

there's a cord coat in Boden at the moment - cotton, but the sleeves are lined with polyester.

used2bthin Fri 25-Sep-09 21:27:47

Thanks for the link Verity is it warm enough for your DD all winter? Thanks polyanna I will have a look at boden, am desperate enough to spend the money if it will help her face not to get as bad as it has every other winter. Hadn't thought of cord as being cotton so am quite excited there may be an answer!

used2bthin Fri 25-Sep-09 21:30:47

Love the Boden coat in green! I am not sure it will be warm enough as a winter coat though as she is outdoors a lot.

VerityBrulee Fri 25-Sep-09 21:32:34

Velvet also cotton.

Used2b, she wore it last year in autumn and spring, but with an extra layer or two it might work.

VerityBrulee Fri 25-Sep-09 21:40:53

This Noa Noa coat is the same as dds winter coat, its cotton and has a detachable lining which is quilted cotton.

It was expensive but I bought it big and turned up a hem the first year, I think she will get a third winter in it! AFAIK Noa Noa does this style every winter.

cookielove Fri 25-Sep-09 21:51:52

here

VerityBrulee Fri 25-Sep-09 21:58:02

This one

used2bthin Fri 25-Sep-09 22:31:22

Thank you for the links I like all of those. I can't find th noa noa one to see pricing? Can you remember roughly? I am trying to think whether Gap had cord lined coats in and not sure they did. Something like that last one would be ideal if heavily lined.

VerityBrulee Sat 26-Sep-09 10:47:44

I'm not in the UK, so not sure where Noa Noa is available, but dds coat cost about 100Euro 2 years ago, she was 3 at the time, but tall so I bought the 4-6yrs and she'll still be wearing it this year.

Justv had a closer look at the one from DPAM, the lining is polyester, do you think that would be ok?

Horton Sat 26-Sep-09 12:03:46

Gap have lovely bright red cotton coats at the moment. I just got one for my DD, also three. They're less than £30. It's not the warmest coat ever but there is plenty of space for a warm cardi underneath.

used2bthin Sat 26-Sep-09 20:30:41

Thanks we do have Noa noa here but not where I live, and I have never seen children's stuff.

I've got 30%off GAP at the moment Horton so was hoping to find something in there but they only had the warmest ones which are down filled and I wasn't sure if they'd be ok. I hate that they don't have online shopping!

Also not sure about the polyester lining but may be hard pressed to fid one without. Her skin is just beginning to flare up agai due to having the heating on. Shame as it was great all summer, I thought it was going to clear up for good.

BonsoirAnna Sat 26-Sep-09 20:39:42

My DD also has very sensitive skin and I bought her cotton winter coats when she was little. She had a lovely cotton velvet coat for a couple of years.

dogonpoints Sat 26-Sep-09 20:44:21

So does the coat material still have an effect even if tops, scarves, gloves are cotton? I'm interested.

used2bthin Sat 26-Sep-09 20:48:05

I wold love to get avelvet or cord one as hadn't realised they would be ok. Will have to take her and have a proper look. Maybe the shops just haven't got all their winter stuff in yet.

dogonpoints I think it does, although it could have been that the duffle coat was quite high at the front and may have been touching her cheeks sometimes when the hood was up. The hat thing is a good point though I will have to find a cotton one of them too!

dogonpoints Sat 26-Sep-09 20:54:51

I had a hard job finding cotton winter hats last year. My mum knitted a couple instead.

used2bthin Sat 26-Sep-09 20:57:41

I had one for DD that my friend sent over from australia-I may have to get her to send more! My DD often doesn't wear a hat anyway same goes for gloves and scarf, I put them on, she takes them off etc etc etc!

BonsoirAnna Sat 26-Sep-09 20:57:54

Girl's cotton coat

used2bthin Sat 26-Sep-09 21:06:57

Thanks BonsoirAnna, I am not sure how warm it would be but will definately consider if I can't see anything in the shops here. Which is fairly likely considering our selection of shops.

Horton Sat 26-Sep-09 21:58:09

Just looked at our Gap cotton coat and even the lining is 100% cotton. May be worth visiting a larger Gap shop? It's similar to the one Anna linked to, but longer (therefore maybe a bit warmer) and a prettier shape - similar to the waist but with a full skirt.

used2bthin Sat 26-Sep-09 22:25:54

Thanks Hoxton I may be able to get to a different GAP but not till the end of the month which is a shame as I've got the voucher. I just had a look and can't see the red coat on their US website so can't even check it out online! They did have a brown cotton and lined cordoroy one thoughwhcih looks like it could be good if it came into shops here.

VerityBrulee Tue 29-Sep-09 20:37:55

You may have found a coat for your dd already, but if not I came across this. It's the same style as my dd's, cotton with a detachable cotton quilted lining. I find the sizing quite generous, so although it's 2-3, so might be worth a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now