Talk

Advanced search

if you have dead straight flat hair how do you put it up?

(10 Posts)
southeastastra Fri 25-Sep-09 20:31:24

i have a ponytail but would love to be able to put it up with a nice clip like everyone apart from me can seem to do.

is there an art to it?

zanz1bar Fri 25-Sep-09 22:20:08

You are not alone.I have dead straight flat...thin...hair, and if I try to put it up in any style other than a ponytail it all falls out.
clips, slides even hair bands are hopeless.
If i let my hair dry naturally, I end up with a triangle shaped head as it does not dry flat but completely straight and sticking out.
I once let a pushy hairdresser use straightners until she would admit it was a pointless exercise.
I now use a huge heated round brush to get some sort of shape and am stuck with the same bob I have had since a toddler, every 5 or so years it comes back into fashion.

badgermonkey Fri 25-Sep-09 22:25:59

I don't put mine up, it looks crap. I blowdry it and turn the ends under with a hot brish to give it a bit of volume instead - needs half a can of hairspray to stay longer than two minutes but it's the only thing that works!

VulpusinaWilfsuit Fri 25-Sep-09 22:28:13

I don't but I do have fine hair: a hairdresser once told me that fine or flat hair styles and goes up much better if it's not newly washed.

Leave till a bit greasy, put some dry shampoo in and rub or comb out, back comb it a bit, smoothing down after getting the volume in: anything to give it a bit of volume and grip?

cookielove Fri 25-Sep-09 22:30:25

i don't have fine hair, but a few friends do and they always back come it a bit, to help hold the do up?

rimmer08 Sun 27-Sep-09 14:18:16

have you considered dying it? it will add texture and maybe grip? also what about layers- i have fine hair and find they make it look fuller

Bleh Sun 27-Sep-09 14:46:51

I have similar hair (mostly straight, though about 30% of it has decided that it will be really curly. Why, I do not know. It also seems to change colour of it's own accord. <sigh>).

Agree that blowdrying with a thickening spray and a round brush helps to get some texture and movement into it, it also makes it less slippy. One of the best sprays I used in the past was John Frieda Blonde thickening spray, which worked quite well. Also agree on using dry shampoo.

Fleecy Sun 27-Sep-09 14:48:11

Have you tried something like this?

I have very fine, straight flat hair and put mine in a low-ish ponytail, then clip it up in one of these and push the band up inside so you can't see it.

Or I have a very messy bun, made up of a high ponytail, twisting the hair round it and pinning it into place, before nearly passing out in a haze of hairspray smile

frakkinpannikin Sun 27-Sep-09 19:37:11

I swear by a swinky

It's not a clip but it does a jolly good job of holding hair in place and if you practice a bit you can do all sorts of fun styles!

BellaNoirisanAunty Sun 27-Sep-09 22:31:55

I use a hairstick, which can do a loose bun, roll and even a 'ponytail' this works better if a couple of days after washing.
It mixes up the styles a bit. Have you tried letting it dry pinned up in loose bun or twisted up in roll, as this seems to give mine a bit more texture and body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now