Talk

Advanced search

English deodorants (from a confused foreigner)

(16 Posts)
roary Fri 25-Sep-09 11:57:40

Help! I am Canadian, have been living here for a long time but trips back to N Am have enabled me to keep stocks of fave deodorant in supply (Secret clear gel, if you know it). But pregnancy/babies have prevented my usual trips and am on my last little bit!

So: why are all deodorants spray or roll-on in boots? Why are they ALL scented? What's a good one? I'm a pretty sweaty person, I have to say, and need something relatively strong. Don't mind a scent as long as it is not revolting. Can't quite get my head around spray-on, which in Canada and the US is the preserve of scary polyester-clad slightly smelly old ladies. Perhaps it is better here?

LyraSilvertongue Fri 25-Sep-09 12:01:34

You can get the dry stick ones. And they're not all scented. Maybe look somewhere other than Boots?
I use a roll-on. Sprays make me sneeze.
What's different about the Canadian ones?

pofacedandproud Fri 25-Sep-09 12:02:48

www.pitrok.co.uk/this is good.

expatinscotland Fri 25-Sep-09 12:03:29

I've also lived here a long time and have yet to find an anti-prespirant I like.

I get mine from N. America, too.

Those roll ons just don't work on me.

YanknCock Fri 25-Sep-09 12:04:23

Never thought about it really (have been here 7 years)....I remember Secret Clear Gel, always thought it was quite gooey, so I stick to Dove sticks. What about Lady Mitchum? I saw that in a big Boots the other day, think it comes in unscented, and remember it being advertised as being strong.

LyraSilvertongue Fri 25-Sep-09 12:04:32

You can buy Secret on eBay

roary Fri 25-Sep-09 12:04:50

Lyra,
It's a gel stick, (it's like the Gillette ones for men, if you've seen them). The gel comes out of little holes and covers your armpits. No sticky white bits everywhere and the gel thing seems to be more effective than a stick, because of the way it dries on. I'd actually just go for the Gillette ones but it's way too big for my armpit and the smells are very...smelly....and masculine. But I'd be willing to try a dry stick if it worked and was not white and gunky.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Fri 25-Sep-09 12:06:05

I too use the dove sticks,
find the sprays too scented and the roll ons too sticky.

LyraSilvertongue Fri 25-Sep-09 12:06:36

I'm sure I've seen the gel ones over here.
Dry sticks are dry, not gunky. I think Simple does unscented deodorant.

roary Fri 25-Sep-09 12:07:17

Oooh, how exciting - just saw the ebay link, thanks Lyra!

Expatinscot, that's very depressing, because that's kind of what I figured.

I do quite like the idea of applying Her Ladyship Mitchum to my underams though.

LyraSilvertongue Fri 25-Sep-09 12:08:38

This one looks OK. A bit expensive though.

steamedtreaclesponge Fri 25-Sep-09 12:09:46

I use Mitchum unperfumed roll-on, I do find it really effective (although am not giant sweat monster anyway)

Like the sound of the gel stuff though!

And I know what you mean about the scented ones, most of them make me want to vom.

madlentileater Fri 25-Sep-09 12:18:09

Mum do an unscented roll on

bran Fri 25-Sep-09 12:22:42

I've recently converted to Mitchum unscented. My favourite one was discontinued and I've tried just about everything on the market since. Mitchum doesn't bring me out in a rash or mark my clothes and I don't have BO. Everything else failed on at least one of those criteria. Sometimes I use Mitchum powder-fresh which is quite a neutral scent, not too strong.

bran Fri 25-Sep-09 12:25:22

I remember the company I worked for doing the market research for gels years ago. I can't remember whether they were actually released onto the market or not, I don't think they were hugely popular at the research stage. I think people are just used to roll-ons.

Stilla Fri 25-Sep-09 13:48:24

I really like Mitchum (especially the powder fresh one).
When I was travelling to and from USA quite often a friend asked me to buy Lady speed stick for her, I also got myself a couple( stick and gel - I went with gel)- total convert and I stocked up on every visit. When I lived in Rhodes I used to stock up on speed stick on trips over to Turkey.
When I was fist back in UK I tried a few and Mitchum seemed to be the best and very like Lady speed stick ( I am thinking it is Lady speed stick in disguise )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now