Talk

Advanced search

What's your one most useful wardrobe item? Ideally not too pricey - make your recommendations here

(30 Posts)
spicemonster Thu 24-Sep-09 19:59:34

I would like to recommend this cardigan. It costs £25, comes in grey, black, brown, purple or blue and is machine washable (well it says dry clean only on the label but I've washed mine loads of times). It's a really fine knit and a great length. I got the black last year and have just bought the brown one. It's good over jeans, dresses and smart clothes. Really, really useful.

What have you got that's your wardrobe staple?

janeite Thu 24-Sep-09 20:02:40

That looks nice.

Mine is a plain black, v neck fitted cardigan from M&S. If I can have two my other is a plain black, v neck fitted jumper from M&S (although I think my new Hobbs one is going to replace that in my affections)!

BirdyArms Thu 24-Sep-09 20:23:02

Really like that uniqlo cardi. Mine was a pinky red cashmere cardigan which went over the rest of the navy/black/white things in my wardrobe to stop me looking dull. I've sadly gone through the elbows and am feeling bereft.

badgermonkey Thu 24-Sep-09 20:26:56

I bought this blazer about a month ago and have worn it almost every day since then. It's just perfect for this time of year and goes with nearly everything - work clothes, jeans, going-out stuff...

blithedance Thu 24-Sep-09 20:29:04

A really fabulous bra that keeps everything pushed-up and is invisible under any clothes.
Bravissimo moulded seamfree bra in Nude I think.

tulpe Thu 24-Sep-09 20:43:10

love that blazer, badgermonkey.

Persephoponce Thu 24-Sep-09 20:47:13

This cardi from Topshop. Comes in loads of colours and much more flattering in RL than it looks online. It is so light yet warm and I can scrunch it up and squeeze it into my handbag, yet it comes out totally uncreased and wearable. It goes with everything. Its fab.

SmallScrewCap Thu 24-Sep-09 21:03:28

My dusky pink butterfly cardigan (butterfly refers to shape, not pattern!)

It's a large diamond of fabric with sleeves, in a very loose wool knit. I can wear it many different ways, it has stretched over me at 9 months pregnant, but also looks great tied tight when I'm my normal size. It is warm in the winter and cool on a summer's evening. It can be a cardi, scarf, wrap-over top, or dressing gown. Brilliant extra layer for breastfeeding in.

To wash it, I just swish it in some warm water and non-bio, hang it in the airing cupboard for half an hour. No ironing, and it never loses its shape, since it has none.

And it was in the slight seconds bin for £8.

Eve4Walle Fri 25-Sep-09 08:31:44

Mine is this - yes, I know it's Boden and pricey but it's so versatile. I wear it over jeans and leggings.

Henley knitted tunic

Jajas Fri 25-Sep-09 08:51:26

I have blue one Eve4Walle, wearing it now over thick tights and I love them! Am a cold bird so always looking for cosy stuff to wear.

spicemonster Fri 25-Sep-09 08:56:59

I think that's not so expensive for something you're going to get a lot of wear out of. I don't think I've ever noticed that in the Boden catalogue for some reason but I have a grey knitted dress that isn't dissimilar which I wear all the time in winter. Jajas - are you really cold enough to wear a wool dress??!

Jajas Fri 25-Sep-09 09:01:56

Oh yes spicemonster! I'm always cold and love bringing out the woolly tights, knitted dresses and long boots (scarves and gloves not quite yet blush!

chattermouse Fri 25-Sep-09 09:53:16

I have a black, short sleeved, button fronted, mini dress that i got from Asda about 5 years ago. It cost abou £12. I wear it lots of different ways. In summer as a dress, in winter as a tunic over trousers or with tights and boots. It was wearable all through pregnancy as is stretch material and is great for breastfeeding cos of the opening buttons. Its soft and drapey. Clings on the boobs but skims over bum and mum tum. I wore it as a dress on the weekend (with my new fly mols) and dp could not stop pinching my bum! A very good buy grin.

TsarChasm Fri 25-Sep-09 09:58:18

I have just bought this jacket from Asda. I'm so pleased with it - it's quite nicely made and I saw a similar one for about £60 elsewhere.

Comes in lovely colours too (I got redsmile

slug Fri 25-Sep-09 10:22:42

My black Avingion boots from duo. They fit, are comfy and I wear them without tights in the spring/autumn and with tights in the winter. In terms of price per wear, I think they are the best buy I ever made.

KingRolo Fri 25-Sep-09 11:37:10

A pair of Lee jeans I bought 8 years ago. They cost £30 and I still wear them loads, though they have been relegated to round the house rather than for out and about!

spicemonster, I really like your cardi and may need onesmile, what's it made out of?

Uniqlo don't seem to do free postage anyomre which is a shame.

MayorNaze Fri 25-Sep-09 11:53:34

all my good stuff is old blush

but best is a really soft thin black v neck jumper from sainsburys - cost £8 nearly 4 years ago when expecting dd - stretched beautifully over bump and then sprang back gorgeously to fit ever since!

i am after a long thin knit navy cardi but cannot find one anywhere ...

pinkhibiscus Fri 25-Sep-09 13:12:42

spicemonster... how long is that uniqlo cardi?

bodeniites Fri 25-Sep-09 13:23:48

last years Boden Great Cord Coat i have them in Green and Red doesnt matter what you are wearing underneath they look great they are always for sale on Ebay

spicemonster Fri 25-Sep-09 19:34:47

Sorry, been out and about. Cardi comes down below my bum but I am only 5'4" - will measure it though and let you know. It's 50% wool, 50% acrylic (I thought it was 100% wool which is what my other uniqlo stuff is - shows what I know!)

They are doing free delivery with orders over £40 - type in freepost at the checkout

have just measured - it's 30 inches from shoulder to bottom at the front. But you can tie it in a knot too so think it's a bit longer at the front than the back

Jajas Fri 25-Sep-09 19:47:29

Spicemonster, I have to confess that you were right ~ I was too bloomin' hot in my woolly Boden dress thingmy today grin!

spicemonster Fri 25-Sep-09 19:55:28

I was inspired by you jajas and put a really thin wool dress on today but was boiling before I even left the house

You're one of those people who look forward to winter aren't you?

BonjourIvresse Fri 25-Sep-09 19:59:53

the basic round necked cardigan rom Zara that's about 14 quid. I have it in brown and cream and wear them on a constant rotation.

Also a amari floral a line skirt that garners me complients whenever i wear it here in eden though mine doesn't have the net

http://www.amariuk.com/acatalog/winter07_impressionist.html

CMOTdibbler Fri 25-Sep-09 20:18:08

My best item is a Phase Eight dress - black tapework over a black slip, round neck, short sleeves, just above ankle length.

It dresses up and down, hides a multitude of sins, I wore it till I was 20 weeks pg and it still looked fab. Doesn't crease, and goes through the machine.

It was pricey, but looks as good as it did 7 years ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now