Talk

Advanced search

Is this a flattering dress?

(23 Posts)
MaMight Thu 24-Sep-09 18:16:49

I'm having a dress made to be bridesmaid for my friend next spring.

I want something in a soft, sage green.

I'm looking for a picture of something for the tailor to copy.

What about this?

Here it is in blue or navy.

Here it is in olive green.

I'm thinking maybe something shiny with chiffon over the top?

I am 5'4", size 12, 32F, decent waist but bit of a tum. I thought the ribbon would emphasise my waist but hide my belly? And it would be good for large norkage?

BoysArrLikeDogs Thu 24-Sep-09 18:25:43

the ribbon is too bulky tied up like that in front if one is a bit tum-my

why not have it as more of a sash, tied behind

v neck good for norks, make sure you get a GREAT bra

satin with chiffon overlay,lovely, be careful that it's not too long - to your knee and not much more or you risk frumpdom

HTH

MaMight Thu 24-Sep-09 18:37:07

Thanks BALD.

moondog Thu 24-Sep-09 19:39:09

It's nice I thgihnk.

MaMight Sat 26-Sep-09 14:42:18

I'm sensing lack of enthusiasm. Shall I keep looking?

noddyholder Sat 26-Sep-09 14:44:21

I like the olive Its a good shape for big boobs I would wear it and I am busty.get some magic knickers and you'll be fine

rimmer08 Sun 27-Sep-09 14:16:39

mistake. i have 30ff boobs and could never wear a halter neck like this- decent strapless bras are very difficult to find and soft sage green - ick. but just my opinion, also- quite low cut for bog boobs- do you really want ur boobs on display at someone elses wedding? what about a 5os style dress, it wil emphasise a small waist and hide a belly?

purplepeony Sun 27-Sep-09 14:58:55

I think sleeveless is a bit too casual- it looks like a party dress not a bridesmaid dress.

You want to look a bit more demure- not competing with the bride! Need more to cover you up basically, imo.

noddyholder Sun 27-Sep-09 17:20:42

It isn't a halterneck!It is the classic shape to flatter big boobs!Don't you watch trinny and tranny?

HerHonesty Sun 27-Sep-09 17:31:39

i think nice, depends on size of hips but overall flattering. make sure you wear a very good bra so your boobs dont flop over the waist band.

bigTillyMint Sun 27-Sep-09 17:34:08

I have a dress similar to that from Coast, but with a high (empire line?) waist. It is really flattering.

What kind of a wedding is it, and what kind of a dress is the bride wearing?

CNyle Sun 27-Sep-09 17:36:58

its naff
let em have a stylish dress

purplepeony Sun 27-Sep-09 18:44:59

noddy- it might be a classic shape for big boobs, but it's a wedding not a dinner date or a garden party.

Too much flesh on display.

It's nice but without the horrid sash which would emphasise tummy probs. If it's shiny with chiffon on top it might make it look less garden party and more wedding Purple?

I like the higher waist line idea.

janeite Sun 27-Sep-09 19:36:41

I am size 12 and 34E with a tum and I wouldn't wear it. Shiny fabric plus that bolster-ish sort of shape over the boobs would look absolutely horrific on me: and I'd be scared of falling out at the sides too.

Personally I think you need to go back to the drawing board, sorry.

cookielove Sun 27-Sep-09 19:43:05

this is the dress i want for my bridesmaids

is the colour right?

cookie that is very nice, but the colour is a bit wishy, it depends on your bridesmaids, if they are blonde it wouldn't work, dark yes.

cookielove Sun 27-Sep-09 19:56:38

ooooh they are both dark so thats a plus,

MaMight Sun 27-Sep-09 20:22:14

Oooh! More replies! grin

Thank you.

More covered up. Hmm. Yes, you're probably right.

The bride has asked me to choose my own dress. It's an Olde English vintage-y country wedding. Very traditional.

She asked all of us to stick to 'dusty' muted colours, and I like green. She also asked us to steer away from shiny, and said that chiffon over satin was good...

I am terrible with dresses and shopping and stuff and finding it quite a challenge.

MaMight Sun 27-Sep-09 20:24:17

And my boobs might not be as big as I think. I'm breastfeeding, and ds is 18 months old now so they've probably deflated since I got properly measured about a year ago, so I'm not wildly boobalicious.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Sun 27-Sep-09 20:53:14

It's just a bit...meh. Sorry.

There are some lovely shapes on the Coast site including one dress in green.

www.coast-stores.com/bridesmaid-all/package/fcp-category/categorylist?resetFilters=true

cookielove Sun 27-Sep-09 21:00:34

this i love

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Sun 27-Sep-09 21:04:14

I was allowed free rein for a friend's wedding but I was the only bridesmaid/matron of honour. I would have been tearing my hair out in your position and I love shopping and dresses and stuff!

Could you beg the bride to decide on one colour for everyone (eg: buy a job lot of material or at least provide swatches of the shades she likes)?

This could be less stressful if you buy off-the-peg as you could run the dress by the bride and other bridemaids and check it's 'dusty' enough and an acceptable style.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now