Talk

Advanced search

Ballet pumps - most comfortable?

(18 Posts)
traceybath Thu 24-Sep-09 13:20:04

So, I'm going to try flat shoes for the first time since I was a child.

Fancy some plain black patent ballet pumps but am wary that they may be uncomfortable if I get a super cheap pair. So any recommendation for comfy and not too expensive.

ohnelly Thu 24-Sep-09 13:27:48

PLEASE dont buy a cheap pair from a supermarket like I did (Asda £6). I got them for work to go with black trousers. A few days after I got them I slipped on a door mat outside the house and broke my ankle in 3 places!! I am in plaster for 6 weeks, and had to have op to put pins, plates and screws in so will be out of action for a while yet! Im also 13 weeks pregnant so not good. Just make sure they have got some grip as many of them just nothing at all there and so dangerous!!
And I thought heels were supposed to be bad for your feet! hmm

Wizzska Thu 24-Sep-09 13:36:37

I've got Clarks ones, they're really comfy and well made.

Grisette Thu 24-Sep-09 16:19:22

hush puppies or jones own brand are good.

mummee09verity Thu 24-Sep-09 16:21:43

primark!!!!! i now ohnelly said don't buy cheap, but honestly, i have spent some money on expensive ballet pumps (rocket dog, office etc) and NONE have been as comfy as my £4 pair from primark!! i live in them, lol. mine are not patent though, but i have seen patent ones in there xx

MaggieBeauLeo Thu 24-Sep-09 16:23:05

They're so uncomfortable because they're just SO flat. Feel like I'm going to fall over backwards in pumps. I don't go round in high heels btw.

potplant Thu 24-Sep-09 16:24:28

I really like Asda shoes!

I would say to go for ones with a proper sole. I had a pair that were very flimsy and they so uncomfortable outside - I could feel every stone.

potplant Thu 24-Sep-09 16:25:27

Agree with Maggie - they do take some getting used to if you usually wear heals allday.

Grisette Thu 24-Sep-09 16:28:09

I've had good and bad from primark

tulpe Thu 24-Sep-09 16:29:17

French Sole are lovely. Very soft & supple leather. They do a style which isn't quite as flat as their regular style and are far more comfy.

I bought Repetto earlier this year but not hugely impressed with the comfort factor (altho they look gorge )

SuzeMcG Fri 25-Sep-09 14:20:01

My favourites are from Russell and Bromley. Expensive but last ages and they do have good sales.

Ohnelly, that is awful, poor you!

pinktortoise Fri 25-Sep-09 16:42:01

Jones the Bootmaker - comfortable, well made and not too £££. Available online too.

YouLukaStunning Fri 25-Sep-09 16:43:01

These ones from Dune are the most comfy comfy flat shoes ever. I think I may go and order another pair. Mine are worn to death

RamblingRosa Fri 25-Sep-09 19:36:16

Clarks 'Boat Race' and 'Cocoa Creme' styles are good. I've got boat race in plain black leather but it comes in patent too and I'm currently coveting a red suede pair.
I've got some Jones ones which look nice but disappointingly look scuffed and knackered after only a few weeks.
M&S is ok too.
Some of the cheaper brands are fine if you don't have to walk far but they don't have enough padding on the insole and there's no heel at all so it can really hurt your feet if you're walking on concrete.
It's worth spending a bit more to get a pair with proper padding.
Look for soft leather, a bit of a heel (I mean like 0.5cm, not a proper heel, just not flat either), and a well cushioned sole.
I live in ballet shoes. Love them. But have had some really duff ones in my time!

HeliumBee Fri 25-Sep-09 20:34:33

New Look - fab collection of styles - comfy and cheap! They fit well too - bonus!

traceybath Fri 25-Sep-09 20:37:52

Thanks for all your replies.

Very much like the French Soles ones but not sure i want to spend that much in case I miss my heels too much.

Have been trying them on in new look and there is a lot of variation - too thin a sole like ones in Top Shop were way too uncomfortable.

So as i have small feet (size 3) I've ordered some children's ones from boden in purple patent. They look good and are just over £20 with discount so reasonable.

ADifferentMe Fri 25-Sep-09 22:40:23

Got some nice Autograph ones yesterday, leopard print, £40 - I too am a ballet pump virgin and usually things go out of fashion the day I start wearing them grin

herbietea Fri 25-Sep-09 22:46:30

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now