Talk

Advanced search

Today I went to Rigby and Peller

(29 Posts)
deaddei Wed 23-Sep-09 16:06:20

And had one of the loveliest experiences. I went to the Sloane Square one, and was served by the manageress who made me feel wonderful.Not intimidating at all. Was wearing a John Lewis fitted 36DD- came out 34F.
Can't believe they fit you just by looking...every bra she brought in (12) fit perfectly.
I bought 3, and went way over budget but I feel great in them. Beans on toast for the rest of the month, but mummy's happy.

McDreamy Wed 23-Sep-09 16:07:15

Go on tell us - how much for a bra in Rigby and Peller?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 23-Sep-09 16:08:15

<nosey> how expensive for everyday bras (no lace or frou-frou's)?

Glad you had a good time, it's lovely to be fitted properly smile

SausageRocket Wed 23-Sep-09 16:08:17

well done.

My guess is £60 a pop

nappyaddict Wed 23-Sep-09 16:35:28

I know someone who got measured at R&P and found that she still had to use her old size in other shops.

watfordmummy Wed 23-Sep-09 16:37:58

My first one from them was £65 just an everyday one! Did buy a basque and that was £175, again just so lovely and fitted really well.

vacalocachachacha Wed 23-Sep-09 17:02:55

The only time I've been to R&P they didn't have my size (a fairly normal one) and they seemed really busy and impatient, actually.

The funniest thing was that I went with MIL (no idea why) and I could hear her mumbling something in the next fitting room and the fitting lady snapped 'Well Madam, there's only so much we can do against gravity.' grin.

deaddei Wed 23-Sep-09 17:48:25

I spent £179 on 3 bras shock
1 very every day, 1 black one with a design on and 1 "come up and see me" balcony bra in cream lace.

queenrollo Wed 23-Sep-09 18:19:18

i went in march and spent £130 on two fairly plain bras. £16 of that was to have one sent off to be adjusted, and i was told that when the elastic goes on the other one i can take it back and use their fitting service to have it pinned and sent away to be adjusted. I am a 28b and it's the first time in my life i actually wear a bra every day. Before i was in a 32a (smallest i could get in the shop) and when i raised my arms (lifting ds for example) my bra always ended up halfway across my boobs hmm

I have never spent that much money on myself in one shopping trip in my whole life, but it was worth every penny. I actually look like a woman now and not a pre-pubescent girl as far as my chest is concerned grin

deaddei Wed 23-Sep-09 18:27:13

I can't wait to wear one tomorrow!!!

deaddei Thu 24-Sep-09 16:30:45

Well ladies all I can say is...what a difference. I look as if I have a waist, as it's not hidden by pendulous bosoms. Felt great all day- AND -I don't have neckache, which tends to be perpetually with me.
Dh was suitably impressed wink

meltedmarsbars Thu 24-Sep-09 16:35:09

Being a trained fitter myself, of course you should be able to "size someone up" wink but one should still get the tape measure out to check!

deaddei Thu 24-Sep-09 17:26:48

Well the ladies in John Lewis and M & S couldn't get it right with a tape measure, so I'm very happy with Dita and her x ray eyes!

ilovegreenbeans Thu 24-Sep-09 20:19:43

I bought the best strapless bra I have ever had from R&P. Was only £40, is plain and stays in place!

I totally loved my experience there, but my mum hated it. However, she is in massive denial about how large her chest really is and would rather be saggy than admit it!

ADifferentMe Fri 25-Sep-09 22:47:17

Do they have any good t shirt bras? I was given a voucher for my birthday. Don't want to sound ungrateful but I've already been fitted at Bravissimo and it's going to cost my £30 to get to London on the train.

angelene Fri 25-Sep-09 22:52:05

I love R&P, and would never buy bras anywhere else now.

The women there are utter geniuses, although I do occasionally wonder how they train them.

procrastinatingparent Fri 25-Sep-09 23:01:11

This is my fantasy shopping trip. I would love to go, but am not sure the bank account will stand it. My sister-in-law says her friend gets fitted there and then buys the same bras online cheaper. Is that possible, does anyone know?

scroobiuspirate Fri 25-Sep-09 23:05:00

i used to work there.

the women just get used to seeing so many boobs, and we knew all the different types of bras. Their shapes etc..

scroobiuspirate Fri 25-Sep-09 23:07:22

procrast, yes it is possible, they don't sell, only thier own, they sell a selected range that their buyer deems a good make of bra.

I now buy the cheapest bras they stock-Fantasie.

I used to love their prima donna bras, absolutely gorgeous and so well made.

I am a 34e. So full in my cup.

scroobiuspirate Fri 25-Sep-09 23:08:09

Prima Donna is a different make btw, not a Rigby and pller 'range'. they just stock it.

procrastinatingparent Fri 25-Sep-09 23:11:25

Thank you, scroobius. So it might be possible just to buy one bra there (I think it would be too rude to get fitted and buy nothing!) and then shop around for other stuff. <notes Fantasie on shopping list>

Interesting job! Are R & P as great as everyone says?

angelene Fri 25-Sep-09 23:11:34

But how do you start out there scroobius? Is there a qualification you have to do? How do you apply for a job? Skills: looking at boobs, sizing them up, etc.

scroobiuspirate Fri 25-Sep-09 23:22:18

I don't want to detail myslef to much, because i worked mainly behind the scenes. I was point of contact for customers calling, and quickly learnt the trade.

All you talk about in R + P is boobs and bras, and if you are training to be a fitter, you learn from the older ones. They originally in turn have learnt from elimination, trial and error, um graviy, structure of bras. All of this is discussed daily, hourly, by the secong. it's not an exact scienec, but my god, i had NO idea that such a world existed before i started there.

I just answered an ad in the Standard!! Tho, i had seen their documentary yrs before, and was fascunated.

On the neg side, it's like any other workplace, hierarchy of the bosses being my main bugbear.

ADifferentMe Fri 25-Sep-09 23:27:38

Angelene - think my DH may be applying for that job!

scroobiuspirate Fri 25-Sep-09 23:28:30

i of course mean gravity!!!

and yes going in to be fitted, will give you a good idea of your size, then you can buy elsewhere.

bear in mind, it's like any clothing tho, the same sizein a different make, model, will not always match up.

The most important thing is to have an almost perfect 'sizing', and see how that looks on you, and try and source that elseswhere.

Bigger fuller boobs, thats where the problem is, finding supportive, well made bras. You pay for the structure of a bra.

If i was smaller of nork I would no way pay £60 for a bra. There are so many pretty bras out there now, for smaller cups ie a-d.

Yet obviously women with very small backs come in too, and then have to have alterations done to make the band smaller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now