Talk

Advanced search

Just had my practice for my wedding make up and think its about time I started wearing it more than once every 10 years.....

(14 Posts)
nymphadora Wed 23-Sep-09 14:05:31

how do I learn? And what do I buy? And does it have to be expensive?

Bleh Wed 23-Sep-09 14:11:51

I would recommend you get yourself down to somewhere like John Lewis or to a MAC shop. At MAC, you can have a make-up lesson for £25, redeemable against purchases.

Meglet Wed 23-Sep-09 14:12:35

I hardly ever wear make-up but I've heard that the Benefit counters are nice and there is no hard sell if you go for a make-over.

I only have Benefit concealer, cheek tint and eye brightener and a mascara. There's no way I'd be brave enough to try lipstick or eye shadow! I wouldn't know what to do with it either.

nymphadora Wed 23-Sep-09 14:31:44

No john Lewis or MAC here. Nearest John Lewis is about 3 hours

Wonder where MAC is?

There is a debenhams but the ladies always seem so OTT

MichKit Wed 23-Sep-09 14:40:20

MAC is great for learning to use makeup. There's a store in Liverpool and a concession in the Selfridges at Manchester.

My indulgence is Prescriptives, but you need a John Lewis for that. Also try Space NK.

MichKit Wed 23-Sep-09 14:45:09

It depends on how much you want to wear too...

My essentials are

Foundation (Prescriptives) (replace with Estee Lauder tinted moisturiser in the summer)
Concealer (MAC is really good for this)
Blusher (Body Shop)
Pressed powder to take away shine (MAC)
A eyeshadow palette (I use Estee Lauder, but have a collection)
Lip tint
Mascara (Lancome)

I've got loads more stuff, but this is my basic bag.

Grisette Wed 23-Sep-09 14:48:25

clinique had lovely makeup. The body shop stuff is nice too and they are aways happy to give you a demo.

MichKit Wed 23-Sep-09 14:51:34

Yeah, I love the Body Shop too. And if you sign up to their card you get a 10% off, plus goodies.

cyteen Wed 23-Sep-09 15:06:52

There are lots of demo videos on Youtube if you want to get some ideas on different looks

nymphadora Wed 23-Sep-09 18:19:21

Foundation/covering bags etc&myeyes lookfab!
Want actuayto be sat down and taught

watsthestory Wed 23-Sep-09 18:33:47

Message withdrawn

MichKit Wed 23-Sep-09 18:56:59

Nooooooo!!! What am I going to do??? <rushing out to stock up emoticon>

watsthestory Wed 23-Sep-09 19:42:23

Message withdrawn

Meglet Wed 23-Sep-09 20:30:30

Go and check out the Lauren Luke Make up tutorials on You Tube. I've just peeked at a couple and she does the 'looks' step by step.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now