Talk

Advanced search

How much would you pay for good quality second hand clothes and fashion accessories? Need some help on pricing for a charity fashion event.....

(8 Posts)
MadreInglese Wed 23-Sep-09 12:01:39

I'm hosting a charity event this weekend where we are selling clothes, shoes, bags, jewellery, accessories, etc, that have been donated. Most are unworn and some still have tags on. I'm a bit stumped on the best way to price things though, and I would appreciate any ideas, so far we have thought of the following -

a) Pricing each item individually (v time consuming and we'd need to price label everything)
b) Pricing items by type, eg £4 for tops, £5 for jumpers, £6 for trousers, £7 for shoes, etc (so no need to price label anything)
c) Pricing items by value, eg having a £4 rail, then a £5 rail, then a £6 rail, etc (but we'd have to label things for when people get to the till)
d) Pricing items by quantity, getting cheaper per item the more you buy, eg 1 item £5, 2 items £9, 3 items £12, 4 items £14, etc (easy to do at the till, no need to label)
e) Letting people pay what they think the items are worth (might work!)
f) Choosing one of the above options but in addition we will pick out and individually price any really good quality/expensive items

We want to make as much money as possible, but don't want stuff to be so overpriced that people are put off (we have said that everything will be under £10).

Whaddaya think of the above options? If anyone has any other suggestions that would be fab, thanks!

hanaflowerhatestheDM Wed 23-Sep-09 12:04:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mustrunmore Wed 23-Sep-09 12:05:19

I'd go for by value. Perhaps you could have someone taking money on each price rail? Or even just bagging it up and writing the total on the bag, to be taken to till at the end? Although that would get annoying having to apy more than once I suppose. Its def a good idea to have an 'exclusive rail' or something, in cse you get any really posh things!
I wouldnt do the first option, as you'll get some tops worth a quid and others worth a fiver etc.

ninedragons Wed 23-Sep-09 12:10:18

Pricing by quantity would be the best strategy to end up with no stock left at the end of the day, I should think.

Though I do think you should pick out anything truly fabulous and maybe look at putting it on eBay. No point letting someone get a Hermes handbag for 4 quid if you could get 700 for it online.

Rosie29 Wed 23-Sep-09 12:42:47

Be careful about labeling with stickers, people will swap them around and try to get items cheaper (this does happen even a charity events)
Pick out the best pieces and individually price them (use a code system if necessary so person on till knows real price if label has been swapped).
Price all the other stuff up as either price per item (tops, trousers etc) or as you said per amount of items bought.
Good luck, it sounds great fun!

MadreInglese Wed 23-Sep-09 14:09:54

Thanks, some good points there

Would people really swap price tags at a <£10 charity sale? shock

MadreInglese Wed 23-Sep-09 14:11:50

and actually ebay is a good idea also for any leftovers - maybe as a large bundle or a few smaller bundles

MadreInglese Thu 24-Sep-09 09:00:39

bump for any more thoughts.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now