Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear everyday if you work at home?

(32 Posts)
whippet Wed 23-Sep-09 11:41:45

I am a freelance consultant. I work 4 days a week from my office at home. I'm only occasionally out at meetings etc.

I realise I have got into a sloppy habit of jeans/ T-shirt every day, as

a) it's comfortable, and
b) there's nobody around to see/ criticise etc.

But then at 3.15 I have the school run.

Ho hum.

All the mums are there in their Fat Face tunics and leggings, or smart work clothes, or skirts and colourful cardies...

This is the sort of stuff I would wear if I was going out/meeting with friends or something, but not for sitting at my desk all day!

Do I need a 'capsule working at home' wardrobe??

What would be in it?

TheMightyToosh Wed 23-Sep-09 11:49:56

Same here - work from home and my priority is warm and comfortable.

I must confess though, I do sometimes change into something a bit smarter to do the nursery run (not a whole new outfit, just some clean jeans or something), just because my warm and comfortable tracky bottoms and jumper that I've been wearing all day don't always match! But what is the point in sitting in a shirt and skirt or anything equally smart when you're at home all day?

At least now it is getting colder you can cover it up with a coat. I think I will just get a really nice, long coat this winter so I can wear what I like underneath and no-one on the nursery run will know...

CMOTdibbler Wed 23-Sep-09 11:52:48

I work from home, but am out with customers/conferences fairly frequently.

At home, I wear tunics/dresses and leggings mostly as they are comfy and respectable

whippet Wed 23-Sep-09 11:55:15

Yes - I think it's the skirt thing I struggle with most! I'd find skirts very uncomfortable to sit in all day - waistbands and all that. But then when I get to school it's all skirts and tights and boots etc..

angry

Lizzylou Wed 23-Sep-09 11:56:27

I work from home and have to do the school run too, I like leggings/woollen dresses and thick tights as they are warm and comfy.
Sat here in cords and a polo neck though today.

TheMightyToosh Wed 23-Sep-09 12:27:10

whippet - and you can't cross your legs or sit in anything other than a ladylike way in a skirt (well, I can't anyway, and I am partial to getting my feet up when I'm working on something meaty grin)

CMOT and Lizzy - loving your genius ideas of dresses and leggings/tights - warm, comfy AND stylish! That would mean no more rushing to get changed before I go out, only to change back again when I get home 10 mins later - woohoo grin

Now I just need to go look at that thread about maternity tights....

TheMightyToosh Wed 23-Sep-09 12:28:29

BTW, I mean cross my legs with my feet underneath, as in like the yoga pose, not a ladylike sharon-stone-esque cross over the knee pose wink

whippet Wed 23-Sep-09 12:40:17

Lizzy - do you wear a layer under your woollen dresses

<< shudders at thought of washing dresses, or having to dry clean!>>

CMOTdibbler Wed 23-Sep-09 12:47:28

I wear long sleeved t shirts (M&S have some nice lightweight tees this year), or vest tops under my dresses. I've bought some high denier coloured tights this year, and they look good paired with a black dress.

indiechick Wed 23-Sep-09 13:01:25

Currently sat here in jogging bottoms and t-shirt. Must change before school run, looking like a total slob!

Lizzylou Wed 23-Sep-09 13:03:11

Whippet, no I don't but am warm blooded I think, I hate being too hot.

I find dresses/leggings far comfier than jeans if you're hunched over a desk, don't dig into my flab waist that way.

whippet Wed 23-Sep-09 13:17:17

OK girls (assuming you all are hmm?)

I need some links to 'working-at-home,with seemless transition into school-run' dresses....

Are talking something like this

(M&S Per Una alert!)

whippet Wed 23-Sep-09 13:18:22

I meant are we talking...

TheMightyToosh Wed 23-Sep-09 13:38:55

I like it! (Don't get the whole point and laugh per una thing personally... )

Looks really warm and comfy and like it wouldn't crease after a long day at a desk.

squix Wed 23-Sep-09 13:53:07

Another freelance consultant / working at home bod here too. I like the idea of leggings and dress/tunics but what footwear do you wear for venturing out of the house? Boots? Flats - too cold now without socks?

whippet Wed 23-Sep-09 14:15:46

TMT - Actually I quite liked it too (and agree - not all the Per Una stuff is floral & floaty!)

Re shoes - I guess low heeled boots or shoes with thick opague tights would be my style.

ooh - I'm liking the idea of going shopping for an 'at home' wardobe now....

If anyone else finds any nice dresses, please link. I am hopelessly out of touch with the 'outside' world grin.

P.S. Am about 5ft 6 in with shoulder length blonde hair. Size 12 ish. Please feel free to style me!

TheMightyToosh Wed 23-Sep-09 16:30:22

whippet (and everyone else) - you've inspired me to do the same. I spend 3-4 days a week working at home and have never been able to justify spending money on fab outfits to wear in the house all day, but as a result I feel like a total slob, and I do miss having a reason to care what I drag out the wardrobe once in a while....

So I will be making a trip to the shops for tights, leggings and wool/wrap dresses as soon as that rogue invoice gets paid...

grin

TheMightyToosh Wed 23-Sep-09 16:32:14

And I'm thinking some Ugg-boot style slippers to go over the tights while I'm sat at the computer. (I will try not to forget that they are not real shoes and end up wearing them to do the nursery run - that would really defeat the object now, wouldn't it!?) grin

whippet Wed 23-Sep-09 17:14:11

TMT - Oh yes! Let's have a 'makeover' for working at home-ers...

I've been feeling exactly the same for ages, and I think it's been slightly depressing me - always feeling dowdy and like a slob, and feeling silly getting changed to go out for 15 mins!

I guess my only concern is that I don't want to create lots more laundry... I mean if you wear a T-shirt, jeans and a cardi, then that's only a T-shirt and underwear to wash at the end of the day, but with a dress, well, doesn't that need washing after a day's wear? hmm
And won't they lose shape quickly if you keep washing them?

I still can't quite get my head around wearing 'nice' (more 'expensive') clothes to sit at home in! blush

naomi83 Wed 23-Sep-09 18:06:00

this with jeans or leggings?

snuggly and warm

whippet Wed 23-Sep-09 19:20:20

Hmm - not sure about the 2nd one (Monsoon) - people might think I'm pregnant! grin

TheMightyToosh Thu 24-Sep-09 09:50:24

whippet - yes, it's ok to slob about if you only work from home once in a while, but if you do it all the time, it does get depressing when you find that there are no days in the week where you have a reason to put something nice on.

So today I am giving it a go with the best I can find in my current wardrobe:

Thick black tights
Grey jersey dress with cowl (sp?) neck (fits nicely over my growing bump smile)
Long camel-coloured wooly cardigan
And snuggly boots for my trip out for an eye test - woohoo a reason to dress up (not!)

Tested it on the nursery run and so far feeling much more feminine and in control. Even got a bit of make up on (steady on there girl!) grin

TheMightyToosh Thu 24-Sep-09 09:54:22

naomi - the first is actually a bit like what I'm wearing today! Except mine is tighter with a belt slung under my bump. Like it!

Second one is a bit too sack-like for me (as I am short!) but I can see that it would look nice on someone tall and slender.

Actually I got a nice one from Asda (don't point and laugh please! I was shopping for DD's clothes but it caught my eye!) and it was only £16 but it is nice: teal with a v-neck and a skinny wool belt with nice metal ends. Quite baggy so hoping it will grow with me smile

BarefootShirl Thu 24-Sep-09 10:04:24

I work from home most days although sometimes go out to meet clients. If at home then it tends to be the absolute minimum, depending on the weather - often just knickers and a t-shirt. My "seamless transition into school run mode" usually involves no more than pulling on a skirt or jeans. BTW, usually offend the school-gate fashion mafia by turning up barefoot - all my friends are used to it but of course we have a whole new bunch of mums at this time of year grin.

Romanarama Thu 24-Sep-09 14:22:07

I have got quite into the Flylady thing (see good housekeeping) and one of her things is that you must get up and get completely dressed straight away. And she's right - it makes a massive difference to general productivity being completely ready to go, whatever happens, without thinking about it again, from 7am. I'm a convert - no more tracky bottoms for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now