Talk

Advanced search

What belt with a plain black dress?

(12 Posts)
vacalocachachacha Wed 23-Sep-09 10:49:44

I've got a dress from a few years ago that came with a little string type belt around the waist. It's a fairly plain black dress, straight and down to just below the knees. I think it needs cheering up a bit. What sort of belt would you go for? I'm likely to wear the dress with black tights and shoes (although I did buy some turquoise tights the other day but am I right in thinking these wouldn't go well with a dress that is just below the knee?)

So, should I go for a colourful belt, something wide and elastic, something like patent...?

NaughtyAlice Wed 23-Sep-09 11:22:24

I really like the mock croc ones that are about an inch thick and are proper belts iyswim? Elastic belts are great but i find they make me bulge out either end blush How about a wide fabric one?

TBH, there is nothing wrong with coloured tights and knee length dress imo

vacalocachachacha Wed 23-Sep-09 11:44:49

Yes, good point about bulge either end. I'd probably look like a black pudding.

Sunshinemambo Wed 23-Sep-09 11:58:11

According to this week's Look magazine skinny belts, especially brightly coloured ones, are all the rage. They picture some great ones from M&S and Next.

vacalocachachacha Wed 23-Sep-09 12:00:36

Skinny, really? I'm so behind with these things. There I was thinking it needed to be wide. Off to have a look on M&S and Next. Thanks.

Sunshinemambo Wed 23-Sep-09 12:01:39

To be uber trendy you need to wear two at the same time a la Matthew Williamson.

vacalocachachacha Wed 23-Sep-09 12:06:05

See, that's the problem. Me and uber trendy just don't go together, as illustrated by the fact that I had to google 'matthew williamson'.

vacalocachachacha Wed 23-Sep-09 12:07:58

Aha, see what you mean about the two belts.

Sunshinemambo Wed 23-Sep-09 12:15:02

Yes, silly as it is, I actually quite like it.

vacalocachachacha Wed 23-Sep-09 13:21:32

Yes, I do like it, actually. Have you noticed that it's actually one double-belt? And only £375... grin. I'll probably buy two £6 ones from M&S instead...

Sunshinemambo Wed 23-Sep-09 14:38:24

Good idea. Didn't look closely enough to see price.

NaughtyAlice Wed 23-Sep-09 20:46:38

Ooh, that would work really well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now