Talk

Advanced search

I'd like a Barbour or Barbour style coat...

(13 Posts)
MichKit Tue 22-Sep-09 11:48:31

Leaving the UK soon, and really want a Barbour or similar coat to keep the memories. I am a short 5'1, a size 8 with a pot belly.

Suggestions please?

EldonAve Tue 22-Sep-09 21:20:59

john lewis sell them
otherwise esprit do similar but not the wax version

Buntytea Tue 22-Sep-09 21:23:32

Since you are petite, I would suggest getting a large or extra large children's jacket (boys) as they are much cheaper (around £99(.

movingnow Tue 22-Sep-09 21:33:06

Are you going somewhere cold? I have a wonderful woollen/waterproof barbour coat (think Austrian loden style) that looks stylish but is comfortable. Have had a look at barbour website but they obviously don't make them any moresad

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 21:39:03

God I love my Barbour., Its so good for keeping the wind out

movingnow Tue 22-Sep-09 21:39:45

Like [http://www.philipmorris.uk.com/dept/Ladies-Tweed-Jackets/product/Musto-LadiesTechnical-Tweed-Field- Coat this]

movingnow Tue 22-Sep-09 21:40:24

Sorry, this

MichKit Tue 22-Sep-09 22:19:23

Hi, thanks for suggestions so far. Yes, moving to Edmonton in Canada in Jan so will be much cold (-32 sometimes).

Does anyone else own Barbours? Are they worth paying the money for? Or should I opt for something cheaper, in the same style?

Its also a 30th birthday pressie to myself, so will be happy to spend a little more than I normally do.

Sorry too many questions

MichKit Tue 22-Sep-09 22:38:46

EldonAve, didn't realise that you meant John Lewis actually sold Barbours... just twigged it, so will go have a look at what they have in-store tomorrow.

Loving this one, what do you think?

dexter73 Tue 22-Sep-09 22:52:05

I have 2 - this and this for colder days.
I love mine and they are great for dog walking.
The one you linked to is really lovely.

MichKit Wed 23-Sep-09 11:41:56

Just been to JL, they had no Barbours in 8 at all I still love the rose lined one, am going to see if I can find it elsewhere.

Dexter, how warm are the coats overall, can I get away with them for a cold and windy winter? I have a long dress coat for formal ocasions and a shorter MandS one for work, I want the Barbour for casual, camping, canoeing etc.

IWantCleanCarpets Wed 23-Sep-09 12:47:08

I would suggest that a "normal" Barbour is not going to suffice in freezing Edmonton....you need a bit of wool/tweed etc grin

dexter73 Wed 23-Sep-09 15:05:39

The parka is quite warm but I always have layers on underneath. It is no way as warm as a North Face parka though! It is fine for here as it rarely gets that cold and I just add another layer if it is.
The wax ones aren't warm but they are windproof.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now