Talk

Advanced search

I'm looking for a shorter skirt, not exactly mini but less than knee length as I'm 5ft 3" and look like Thelma Barlow in normal sizes!

(22 Posts)
Jajas Mon 21-Sep-09 19:44:11

Desperately looking for chunky woolly sort of thing (as opposed to silky slinky number) to wear with woolly tights and boots for the autumn. I know you fashion kittens can help me!

So much going on in the Style and Beauty threads at mo ~ I'm spending a small fortune (in my head) on all these lurverly clothes!

Jajas Mon 21-Sep-09 21:10:18

anyone please?

petitmaman Mon 21-Sep-09 21:12:54

oooh . i cant help you but i would like one too so bumping for you.

lucysnowe Mon 21-Sep-09 21:18:08

OOH me too. Wallis Petit is the only one I can think off, not part good though.

vanloadtovenice Mon 21-Sep-09 22:06:09

Same height as you! Would try anything Boden call 'tunic' - these fall just above knee on me, and Gap mini's are usually long enough to be decent. They might have woolly dresses, too. Good luck!

Jajas Mon 21-Sep-09 22:47:27

Thank you!

Have a couple of Boden tunics which I do wear as dresses but they feel a bit flimsy for the winter and I do feel quite self conscious in them.

Will look at Gap mini's too.

mwff Mon 21-Sep-09 22:56:36

colour? general style? size? i'm looking for a similar thing i think - something tweedy or wool (skirt not dress, yes?), above-knee-to-respectable-mini-length, probably trawling ebay so if you let me know what you're after i might see something on my travels

Jajas Mon 21-Sep-09 23:31:19

I'm a size 6-8 and have weedy legs ~ compared to Max Wall as a teenager hmm. Block colour would be good, red, rust, black etc. Saw a lovely skirt in Toast but it is a bit too long I suspect, would end up looking like Toulouse le Trec (no legs!).

Skirt not dress.

Thank you for looking out for me!

mwff Mon 21-Sep-09 23:42:01

what shape are you after? straight? pleated? some strange half way house between straight and pleated that i can't quite imagine right now? oh hang on, A-line

i find toast quite interesting, but i find it hard to imagine any of their stuff being at all flattering. all their skirts seem to be too long full stop, no matter how tall you are.

Jajas Mon 21-Sep-09 23:49:13

Straight I think and not that sort of tulip thing and prob one pleat ok but I already have a sort of tartan mini skirty thing with pleats. A line good.

Toast catalogue so brooding and moody, beautiful photography but their stuff just looks so unflattering! I bought two pairs of their woolly tights which cost a packet but are quite wonderful. Rest of it looks lovely on that stunning model but would look drab as drab on legless TLT here grin!

mwff Tue 22-Sep-09 23:04:44

well i've been searching all day and found very little. i think tunics/leggings/skinnies are such a popular look that not many places do skirts atm. i've always relied on getting decent heavy wool/tweed skirts in a non-matronly style from h&m but they've got nothing right now (although i was tempted by a red tartan number from the kids section but i've had my wrists virtually slapped on here already for indulging in that kind of thing...)

i think it's down to getting a very detailed search going on ebay - there's designer stuff comes up all the time for £20-£40 if that's within your budget.

vanloadtovenice Thu 24-Sep-09 19:28:39

Toast, though delicious, is for tall girls without any curves. It's always worth trying French brands as they seem to be made mostly for smaller girls. Zara might be worth a shot too.
Keep us posted if you find something fab.

brokenspacebar Fri 25-Sep-09 00:15:20

Try looking here.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Fri 25-Sep-09 19:05:20

I bought a really nice straight Gap cord mini last week. They have them in sage and purple. Great length on my little legs.

Jajas Mon 28-Sep-09 10:28:33

Thanks for the links, love this one but so expensive! Also wish they mentioned skirt length, it looks ultra mini on the 'legs' but she's probably twice my height!

Wish Gap did on-line, do you have link Florence?

Thanks again for suggestions!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 28-Sep-09 12:22:43

Gap don't do online in the UK. I can't understand why for the life of me.

What about Uniqlo?:
Uniqlo skirts

I love this red flannel mini:
Red mini

Jajas Mon 28-Sep-09 13:30:13

Thank you Florence! Have just ordered the M&S one at less than half the price of Patricia whatnot.

will report back on receipt grin!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Mon 28-Sep-09 15:15:32

Cool! I may well get it myself if you like it.

Clure Mon 28-Sep-09 18:04:43

saw a checked wooly slightly A line mini in h&m the other day
Also I tried this on was a good length though a heavy lycra fabric

Celery Mon 28-Sep-09 18:10:14

The Boden mini skirts are a good length, not mini at all, but above the knee. They come in various denims, and I think cord too.

Jajas Mon 28-Sep-09 19:47:41

Are the Boden skirts somewhat loose around the waist? As I'm so stick like (not good) everything just falls off me and so skirts end up sitting on my hips and look really silly.

Love the red mini skirt though! I bought some gorgeous thick tights from Toast and I think they will look good with boots and chunky jumper. Do love autumn/winter fashion even though I hate winter!

Celery Tue 29-Sep-09 08:10:11

I found the sizing on the Boden skirts pretty accurate. I'm a ten and it fits well, unlike the size 10 skirts from Fat Face and White Stuff, which are very loose on me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now