Talk

Advanced search

Which shops are having a good season?

(42 Posts)
choosyfloosy Mon 21-Sep-09 15:51:29

Walked past Monsoon this morning and thought it looked awful - cheap horrible polyester chiffon-type fabrics, maximum use of unflatteringly blank blacks and pillar-box red. Is it better inside? Which shops are blossoming this autumn? I thought East was trying to look like Boden which didn't seem right either.

chattermouse Mon 21-Sep-09 16:17:04

Well, I usually love warehouse but tis very dissapointing this season. All seemed to be maroon and black. All drab and just didn't capture my imagination at all. I have a £40 debenhams voucher to spend and though i would be sure to get something from warehouse concession. It was not to be.

Am loving Boden at the mo though so it's not all bad grin. Just ordered the merino tunic in ink and pink and looking forward to trying it on!

choosyfloosy Mon 21-Sep-09 16:21:31

I'm not even sure why I'm asking as have bought a new pair of shoes and a woolly jumper and that's it for me for some months, but hey there's always Christmas and i do like to walk round a shop that's having a moment, it's so exciting. i still remember going into miss selfridge in summer 1987, it had an incredible season and i wore stuff from that single trip for about 4 years afterwards.

Bleh Mon 21-Sep-09 16:22:10

They're all RUBBISH. With the possible exception of Gap, which is heading towards bland.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about a Pantomime Dress that they had in Monsoon. It has strangely disappeared from their website ...

DillyTantay Mon 21-Sep-09 16:23:01

why do white stuff only have THREE designs of anything?
ALL empire line or a line skirts

think wallis are strangely good but havent tried on anything

Bleh Mon 21-Sep-09 16:24:10

Oh wait, here it is. Stunning, no?

cookielove Mon 21-Sep-09 16:24:27

i cannot afford to shop, but if i could i and do plenty of window shopping i would say fat face

SausageRocket Mon 21-Sep-09 16:26:00

I hate GAP, it is soooooooooo dull.

SausageRocket Mon 21-Sep-09 16:27:45

I want to like Gap as it always seems to do so well in the opinion polls but whenever I go in there it is just dull jeans, dull tops and dull hooded sweatshirts

choosyfloosy Mon 21-Sep-09 16:31:19

bleh, OH my gosh. Oh MY gosh. Oh my GOOD GRAVY.

That is without a doubt the worst single garment I have EVER seen, and I am including in that all am-dram costumes from the 70s, fancy dress disasters I have made ds, and all wedding dresses designed by the bride.

Don't they have some sort of pitching meeting for new designs or something? They must have SOME form of quality control?

noddyholder Mon 21-Sep-09 16:32:51

www.wallis-fashion.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=true&catalo gId=20551&storeId=12557&categoryId=180056&parent_category_rn=180055&productId=1378730&langId=-1Lush

MadameCastafiore Mon 21-Sep-09 16:32:55

French Cinnection and Ted Baker and All Saints have some very nice stuff at the mo.

Bleh Mon 21-Sep-09 16:33:08

Apparently not this year.

dexter73 Mon 21-Sep-09 16:34:08

I like Gap! I am wearing Gap jeans and a Gap reddish scooped neck top today. However I guess I like it because I tend to wear fairly plain clothes like jeans, sweaters and tees.

hifi Mon 21-Sep-09 16:36:46

the dress from monsoon would be suitable for the october fest.
whistles is fabulous since that bird from top shop took over. top shop is the best imo.
reiss is sooo evpensive so is jigsaw for what they both are.jigsaw has the worst merchandising ive seen in a while.
gap has lost the plot, it seems the design team have run out of ideas and rehashing last years. who the hell wears logo anymore?

choosyfloosy Mon 21-Sep-09 17:13:21

ok, so fat face,french connection, top shop, unfortunately we don't have a ted baker i think.

mmm am too scared to enter top shop, am too fat, expect to be vapourised by the vortex at the door as on the Adventure Game.

janeite Mon 21-Sep-09 17:23:05

Whistles is gorgeous but a) I can't afford it and b) none of it fits me properly as it is all billowy and seemingly built for people long of leg and arm.

Gap has a nice skirt, that I hope to buy at the weekend and a couple of nice maroony-coloured tops but otherwise I was uninspired.

Ted Baker is yum but soooooo expensive.

I seem to be having a FC revival lately, as well.

M&S Ltd Collection is getting very odd: last season and this season I like very little, whereas in previous seasons I've wanted most of it.

dexter73 Mon 21-Sep-09 17:49:44

Janeite - have you got the current 30% off voucher? Sign up here. I used an old hotmail address as I am already signed up!

janeite Mon 21-Sep-09 17:54:30

Have got it, thanks Dexter. That's why I'm waiting until this weekend - hope the skirt is still there then!

Jajas Mon 21-Sep-09 17:59:16

All saints yes, they have some lovely wafty things

chattermouse Mon 21-Sep-09 18:24:04

Top shop is very hit and miss at the mo. Lots of gorgeous sequined cardis/jackets and funky fur coats but still a lot of dodgy 80's fluro stuff kicking around.

CybilLiberty Mon 21-Sep-09 18:30:26

Great Plains catalogue has some nice bits in

Grisette Mon 21-Sep-09 18:52:01

I'd like a long sleeved mini dress in a heavy material but can not find one any where.

mrswoolf Mon 21-Sep-09 19:02:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

janeite Mon 21-Sep-09 19:06:12

Great Plains stuff always feels a bit stiff and itchy to me. And like Boden, seems to vary so little each season.

Grisette - Warehouse have a stripey jersey long sleeved mini. It reminds me of when I was about 14!

I like this and this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now