Talk

Advanced search

How does layering work then?

(30 Posts)
GiantJenga Sun 20-Sep-09 16:29:55

People seem to mention it a lot. I'm clueless. What does it mean?

barbiebigpants Sun 20-Sep-09 16:32:14

fragrance??? it means you use the whole range of products in the same fragrance...body wash, moisturiser and then perfume...it makes it last longer and takes away the alchohol smell that you some times get when you first spray...

or do you mean clothes hmm

GiantJenga Sun 20-Sep-09 16:34:01

oh god. can't even think about fragrance. I meant clothes! There must be more to it than I think. People make it sound complicated.

barbiebigpants Sun 20-Sep-09 16:35:13

blush whoops!

GiantJenga Sun 20-Sep-09 16:36:55

Was still useful information, if I ever grow up enough to think about fragrance.

MrsBadger Sun 20-Sep-09 16:38:33

think school

you wear a shirt, a jumper/cardigan and a jacket

if it's really cold you put a vest under the shirt

you are now layered

sarah293 Sun 20-Sep-09 16:40:18

Message withdrawn

AphroditesGrannyNightie Sun 20-Sep-09 16:41:48

Isn't that just 'wearing clothes' though ?? hmm

if we weren't 'layered' we all just be in our bras and knickers!

Jewelsandgems Sun 20-Sep-09 16:43:16

Layering means you can wear a lovely thin short sleeved blouse even on the coldest day, by the magic of layering.

As in under top wear a vest top, and a long-sleeved fitted T, then wear the blouse on top.

And you don't have to stop there! On top of your blouse you could add jacket/cardigan and/or a scarf. Et voila! You are now officially participating in 'layering'! grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 16:43:41

Good point AGN grin but I think it is about wearing a few items of clothes so you have some to take off when you get warmer.

GiantJenga Sun 20-Sep-09 16:45:29

Ooh, it's a whole new world. There was I wearing just the one top and a jumper if I got cold.

CybilLiberty Sun 20-Sep-09 16:46:18

But you have to be able to SEE the layers. Like a trifle

GiantJenga Sun 20-Sep-09 16:46:37

I thought in some way the different layers were supposed to be visible. That sounded complicated.

CybilLiberty Sun 20-Sep-09 16:46:44

God I really really want some trifle now

GiantJenga Sun 20-Sep-09 16:47:07

Aha. There you go. How does that work then Cybil?

GiantJenga Sun 20-Sep-09 16:47:57

Could it be a big many-layered chocolate cake instead. Not too keen on trifle.

NorkilyChallenged Sun 20-Sep-09 16:49:55

I would personally have said that when people talk "layering" they do generally mean the layers to be visible (which is why bra/knickers/thermal vest don't normally count).

So for example, a round next tshirt or cami under a long-sleeved top (so you see the two necklines) then a cardi on top. Or a long-sleeved tshirt under another shorter sleeved top, etc.

NorkilyChallenged Sun 20-Sep-09 16:50:32

round necked tshirt

doesn't have to be from Next

CybilLiberty Sun 20-Sep-09 16:51:22

When I layer, I would have a long sleeved VERY thin teeshirt with a shorter sleeved one on top, but the long sleeved one should be visible both on the sleeves and around the hem..PHEW

GiantJenga Sun 20-Sep-09 16:53:26

Oh, is that why the white long sleeve t-shirt I've just had delivered is ridiculously thin?

<penny drops>

maize Sun 20-Sep-09 16:53:45

For me layering usually involves wearing my summer clothes in winter with through the magic of a long sleeved t-shirt!

AcrylicAfternoons Sun 20-Sep-09 17:32:27

for me layering involves being able to wear summer clothes in a british summer with the magic of long sleeved tee

Podrick Sun 20-Sep-09 17:37:47

this is about looking good and playing with your proportions eg by using 2 echoing v necks to elongate the torso and focus attention on the breasts etc etc

OR

it is simply about haivng several thin layers of clothes to peel off one by one as the temperature changes - depending on what context you are talking about

Flamesparrow Sun 20-Sep-09 18:14:09

Lol @ layering being like trifle

Flamesparrow Sun 20-Sep-09 18:15:41

Nappiesgalore can pull off layering. When I try I look like Joey on Friends wearing all of Chandler's clothes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now