Talk

Advanced search

Is this outfit ok for an interview?

(20 Posts)
maize Sat 19-Sep-09 17:24:10

I have an interview for a job at a charity (local MIND branch), it would be office based - doing a project on information services.

I don't have many smart clothes.

My usual interview outfit (which has got me NHS jobs) is nice black trousers, v-neck jumper and a white vest underneath. So smart but not mega smart. Its quite a high vest so there is no inappropriate boobage.

I could stick a blouse underneath the jumper maybe?

Its this jumper.
www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=true&catalo gId=20552&storeId=12552&categoryId=181492&parent_category_rn=133910&productId=1374090&langId=-1

I am short and fat with big boobs so blouses and jackets make me look unfortunate.

RubysReturn Sat 19-Sep-09 17:26:07

tbh it sounds a leetle casual for an interview, but as you say it has served you well before. Has something unnverved you?

As the owner of a large cleavage, a blouse under a pully would make me huge.

Hassled Sat 19-Sep-09 17:26:35

I think that jumper with black trousers and heels would be just the job. Good luck

maize Sat 19-Sep-09 17:29:26

I have never had an interview for Mind before so thats why I am a little unnerved, NHS interviews I have been on have been reasonably casual so I don't want to get it wrong.

Yes blouse+jumper would make me look huge but its hard when you are fat with big boobs to dress smartly on top I think.

captainmillenniumflint Sat 19-Sep-09 17:29:55

i think it sounds fine, a little colour is always a good thing at interviews. i tend to go for something a little smarter than i'd be wearing to actually do the job, and avoid buying anything "interview-specific" if i didn't feel i'd get daily use out of it later.

maize Sat 19-Sep-09 17:33:43

Thanks do you really think it will be ok?

My instinct is that it will be a reasonably casual office but I don't know that for sure.

I can't really afford a posh jacket either and none of my friends are as fat as me so I can't borrow. Hmmmm.

TinaSparkles Sat 19-Sep-09 17:43:11

Have you maybe got a chunky necklace (not too long) as well to go with it. I think it seems fine.

Good luck. smile

EyeballsWearingAPatch Sat 19-Sep-09 17:45:27

Absolutely fine. Not a blouse though, all it needs is a thin white vest to take away any cleavage-ness and it'll look great. Good luck

captainmillenniumflint Sat 19-Sep-09 17:46:50

if you feel comfortable you will be more relaxed and come across well in the interview. put it like this - last interview you wore this outfit, did you get the job?

hatwoman Sat 19-Sep-09 17:52:46

I work in the NGO sector and I reckon it's fine. it's a flexible type outfit and I would say that with smart accessories (shoes and bag)it would have the right level of smartness iyswim. (as long as the black trousers are the quite elegant smart-type and not combats...)

cat64 Sat 19-Sep-09 18:05:13

Message withdrawn

maize Sat 19-Sep-09 18:17:14

Yes I got the last (3) jobs I wore a similar outfit for.

They are nice smart black trousers, not cheap nylon ones or combats.

Shoes would be these.
www.newlook.co.uk/1774439/177443901/ProductDetails.aspx

I would wear simple diamond stud earrings with my watch, I never wear much jewellery for interviews.

I am not sure of the merits of a jacket with F cup boobs if I am honest and money is tight (as in I would only be able to afford a cheapy jacket and I a not sure that looks ok anyway).

cat64 Sat 19-Sep-09 18:20:53

Message withdrawn

chachalepew Sat 19-Sep-09 18:23:52

You can't really see in the picture but Tesco have nice waterfall cardis in, it would do instead of a jacket but can be worn again more casual. crap picture

maize Sat 19-Sep-09 18:27:21

Thanks. I really am in two minds about jacket v. no jacket. I might have a look and see if I can try some cheaper ones in in Asda or something and see how it looks.

chachalepew Sat 19-Sep-09 18:28:18

Oh and good luck!

lavenderkate Sat 19-Sep-09 18:54:38

Darling dont keep referring to yourself as fat, you might be a larger figure but thats ok.

Do make sure your shoes are shiny, your hair neat and wear a big smile. (sorry to sound like your Mum)!

Good luck and let us know smile

captainmillenniumflint Sat 19-Sep-09 18:56:39

nice shoes

maize Sat 19-Sep-09 19:00:27

Thanks! I don't think I will get it but I am hopeful and its all good experience etc!!

lavenderkate Sat 19-Sep-09 19:29:33

Who says you wont get it Maize? I might be the interviewer.wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now