Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Is this outfit ok for an interview?

(20 Posts)
maize Sat 19-Sep-09 17:24:10

I have an interview for a job at a charity (local MIND branch), it would be office based - doing a project on information services.

I don't have many smart clothes.

My usual interview outfit (which has got me NHS jobs) is nice black trousers, v-neck jumper and a white vest underneath. So smart but not mega smart. Its quite a high vest so there is no inappropriate boobage.

I could stick a blouse underneath the jumper maybe?

Its this jumper.
www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=true&catalo gId=20552&storeId=12552&categoryId=181492&parent_category_rn=133910&productId=1374090&langId=-1

I am short and fat with big boobs so blouses and jackets make me look unfortunate.

RubysReturn Sat 19-Sep-09 17:26:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hassled Sat 19-Sep-09 17:26:35

I think that jumper with black trousers and heels would be just the job. Good luck

maize Sat 19-Sep-09 17:29:26

I have never had an interview for Mind before so thats why I am a little unnerved, NHS interviews I have been on have been reasonably casual so I don't want to get it wrong.

Yes blouse+jumper would make me look huge but its hard when you are fat with big boobs to dress smartly on top I think.

captainmillenniumflint Sat 19-Sep-09 17:29:55

i think it sounds fine, a little colour is always a good thing at interviews. i tend to go for something a little smarter than i'd be wearing to actually do the job, and avoid buying anything "interview-specific" if i didn't feel i'd get daily use out of it later.

maize Sat 19-Sep-09 17:33:43

Thanks do you really think it will be ok?

My instinct is that it will be a reasonably casual office but I don't know that for sure.

I can't really afford a posh jacket either and none of my friends are as fat as me so I can't borrow. Hmmmm.

TinaSparkles Sat 19-Sep-09 17:43:11

Have you maybe got a chunky necklace (not too long) as well to go with it. I think it seems fine.

Good luck. smile

EyeballsWearingAPatch Sat 19-Sep-09 17:45:27

Absolutely fine. Not a blouse though, all it needs is a thin white vest to take away any cleavage-ness and it'll look great. Good luck

captainmillenniumflint Sat 19-Sep-09 17:46:50

if you feel comfortable you will be more relaxed and come across well in the interview. put it like this - last interview you wore this outfit, did you get the job?

hatwoman Sat 19-Sep-09 17:52:46

I work in the NGO sector and I reckon it's fine. it's a flexible type outfit and I would say that with smart accessories (shoes and bag)it would have the right level of smartness iyswim. (as long as the black trousers are the quite elegant smart-type and not combats...)

cat64 Sat 19-Sep-09 18:05:13

Message withdrawn

maize Sat 19-Sep-09 18:17:14

Yes I got the last (3) jobs I wore a similar outfit for.

They are nice smart black trousers, not cheap nylon ones or combats.

Shoes would be these.
www.newlook.co.uk/1774439/177443901/ProductDetails.aspx

I would wear simple diamond stud earrings with my watch, I never wear much jewellery for interviews.

I am not sure of the merits of a jacket with F cup boobs if I am honest and money is tight (as in I would only be able to afford a cheapy jacket and I a not sure that looks ok anyway).

cat64 Sat 19-Sep-09 18:20:53

Message withdrawn

chachalepew Sat 19-Sep-09 18:23:52

You can't really see in the picture but Tesco have nice waterfall cardis in, it would do instead of a jacket but can be worn again more casual. crap picture

maize Sat 19-Sep-09 18:27:21

Thanks. I really am in two minds about jacket v. no jacket. I might have a look and see if I can try some cheaper ones in in Asda or something and see how it looks.

chachalepew Sat 19-Sep-09 18:28:18

Oh and good luck!

lavenderkate Sat 19-Sep-09 18:54:38

Darling dont keep referring to yourself as fat, you might be a larger figure but thats ok.

Do make sure your shoes are shiny, your hair neat and wear a big smile. (sorry to sound like your Mum)!

Good luck and let us know smile

captainmillenniumflint Sat 19-Sep-09 18:56:39

nice shoes

maize Sat 19-Sep-09 19:00:27

Thanks! I don't think I will get it but I am hopeful and its all good experience etc!!

lavenderkate Sat 19-Sep-09 19:29:33

Who says you wont get it Maize? I might be the interviewer.wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: