Talk

Advanced search

Boots for skinny legs

(23 Posts)
AuldAlliance Fri 18-Sep-09 10:19:32

That's it really.

Does anyone know of any good boots for skinny calves, to avoid the welly effect when wearing them with a skirt?

TIA

BonsoirAnna Fri 18-Sep-09 10:21:35

Have you got a branch of Elizabeth Stuart somewhere near you? They often have those synthetic pull-on boots with slightly elasticated fabric that grip the leg - they look good on slim calves. Or try a children's shoes shop!

Drusilla Fri 18-Sep-09 10:26:53

Duo Not cheap. I have a new pair for this winter that I bought for half price in the sale in the summer I find those stretchy ones make me legs look even more stick like

Mimi1977 Fri 18-Sep-09 10:41:44

Fly! Either love em or hate em but they are a really good fit around thin calves and so so comfy.

AuldAlliance Fri 18-Sep-09 10:50:57

Don't have a branch, Anna, but will see if anyone stocks them. Do kids' shoe shops stock size 38?

Fly is tricky as I live in France and they don't deliver here. I should have mentioned that little detail, but am a bit dopey as am suffering from sleep deprivation. blush

But Duo have apparently launched themselves on the French market, as I've just found a website. Are they worth the price?

Thanks everyone...

AuldAlliance Fri 18-Sep-09 10:53:57

ooh, I like these

Ponymum Fri 18-Sep-09 10:59:42

I just saw the title and had to come on here to say envyenvyenvy!!
Happy boot hunting you lucky ladies.smile
From one cursed with fat calves.

Elk Fri 18-Sep-09 11:01:43

Childrens shoe shops go up to a size 4(I think that is continental size 37). I got my last pair of boots from a childrens shoe shop and got quite a few compliments on them much to my amusement. They also cost less in the UK as I didn't have to pay VAT.

purplepeony Fri 18-Sep-09 11:18:33

Duo, Duo, Duo.
I have got Ravena, Kirov, and a new one - Orestano? (sp) anyway they are good, but you really need to try on- in a shop if you can- the foot sizes tend to be on the big size.

Brindisi is quite nice but looks chunkier in RL than on the web, imo.

purplepeony Fri 18-Sep-09 11:21:59

Just want to add, if you find 1 you like, let me know here as have tried most of them on - flats- and they are all very different in terms of fit around the foot- some are very big fitting.

AuldAlliance Fri 18-Sep-09 12:04:07

Thanks, purplepeony.
Will be back this evening, bit of a rush just now.

BonsoirAnna Fri 18-Sep-09 12:22:58

I'm a size 38.5 and sometimes buy children's shoes (ballerina-type)! They are much cheaper than women's shoes!

This is the sort of boot I'm thinking of - they do have flatter heeled ones too.

ReducedToThis Fri 18-Sep-09 13:55:46

M&S do some suede boots like the ones Anna has linked to - but not so high and not so pointy-toed.

castille Fri 18-Sep-09 15:47:13

I have just had a pair of Pavia boots from Duo shipped to me in France. They are fab on my sparrow legs! Agree size down - I'm a 38.5 (snap Annagrin) and their 38 is perfect on me.

Otherwise the French children's chain Na! go up to a 40 or 41 and they have some rather nice boots with what look like quite narrow calf widths. I bought some for DD1 last year.

purplepeony Fri 18-Sep-09 15:54:12

Duo boots with pointier toes are HUGE- I have just bought Oristano in a 37 , when I am always a 38.5 in other styles/makes.

Toledo is tight in a 38.

Kirov is fab- have it in black suede in a 38 and it fits like a dream and is really comfy even though it has a kitten heel.

AuldAlliance Fri 18-Sep-09 19:34:17

Right, thanks everyone.

Anna, I think those boots are not quite what I'm after, a bit dressier than what I had in mind.

If the Duo ones have big feet, I'm a bit wary. Don't want to avoid the wellies situation only to find I look like Big Bird.
Shame, as I liked the look of the Brindisi ones.

The heel on the Kirov is not really what I'm after, as I carry DS2 about in the sling a lot and wanted a flatter, wider heel.
The Ravenna look nice, as do the Oristano and the Pavia.

Am a bit hmm at the returns policy, though. Returning them by TNT at a 'very competitive price' sounds potentially expensive. If TNT charge 21 euros for a passport, what must a thumping great pair of boots cost?

Am going to mull this over a bit more.

Castille, I'd never heard of Na! (don't seem to exist down here in the south). They have some nice stuff.

purplepeony Fri 18-Sep-09 21:06:02

what size are you? Ravenna is true to size, Oristano is big, Etienne was my fave but the ankles are quite "deep" as I have skinny ankles. Kirov is a dressy boot, but lovely- but not for everyday carrying baby!

AuldAlliance Fri 18-Sep-09 21:12:11

Feet size 39, about a six and a half in UK sizes, but one foot is slightly bigger than the other. Calf circumference 32cm.

I also have skinny ankles, and find that boots tend to kind of crumple a bit around the ankle area.

I'm going to be in Edinburgh for a whole 24 hours at the end of October; maybe I should rush to Duo and try some boots on.

purplepeony Fri 18-Sep-09 21:47:29

Def get to the shop.

I am a 38.5 and 32 inch calf.
I loved Etienne, but there was a lot of leather round the ankles- you can see this if you look at all the photos- look at the cut round the ankles- some boots look narrower, and others look wider.

You would not need to size up- a 39 should fit.

Some styles look better for fat calves- the chunkier boots can look a bit odd if you are skinny.

You might be lucky with mail order- and they are very helpful if you ring the head office and ask for advice or additional measurements.

purplepeony Fri 18-Sep-09 21:51:14

Brindisi and Pavia look good and Ravenna is a good fit- and there are others very similar to Ravenna but with a buckle or two- basically the same boot.

fishie Fri 18-Sep-09 21:52:24

agree with pp, some duos are designed to flatter wide calves, some for skinny and so one must work out which is which. i have got skinny legs and wide feet so they are hopeless for me, the proportions are always wrong somehow.

Badpups Sat 19-Sep-09 18:11:35

Can anybody let me know how long in the leg Duo boots are please?

purplepeony Sun 20-Sep-09 17:21:00

They are all different- if you phone customer services they do have that info as I have asked before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now