Talk

Advanced search

Oh holy f*k my choir are singing at the MOBOs and I am panicking

(16 Posts)
doggiesayswoof Thu 17-Sep-09 16:00:23

I am not confident about my looks/clothes (can you tell?)

Gospel choir, so we may be wearing our robes, in which case it will be all about the shoes and accessories

I don't really DO accessories

And make up - help what make up?? I normally wear it v minimally even for gigs. Should I trowel it on?

I also have no budget grin

I am a lost cause

BitOfFun Thu 17-Sep-09 16:04:11

How can you accessorise a choir robe? How about going for some of these to get you noticed and ensure the camera stays firmly on You.

Congratulations btw.

doggiesayswoof Thu 17-Sep-09 16:10:31

hehe - they wouldn't show through the fabric sadly, not with a dress on underneath as well

Shame grin

I just meant jewellery really. Earrings?? Chunky bangles?

Cripes it's on the telly and everything.

And I am a moose bit ordinary looking

doggiesayswoof Thu 17-Sep-09 16:12:48

There will be fair bit of hanging around without robes on, and actually I want to look good for that bit too. So it does matter what I'm wearing under the robe (plus you feel better if it's something nice)

I have a lovely black silk dress but it's quite formal and not edgy.

doggiesayswoof Thu 17-Sep-09 16:20:15

And my hair, it's so boring.

Pleeeeeeeease someone take me in hand

BitOfFun Thu 17-Sep-09 17:53:45

Bumping for you as an apology for my frivolous reply grin

doggiesayswoof Thu 17-Sep-09 19:45:00

Thanks BOF (I quite like frivolous replies, almost as much as useful ones)

<self-absorbed bump>

DreamsInBinary Thu 17-Sep-09 21:38:11

What colour is the robe, doggiesayawoof? And what is your colouring?

Rindercella Thu 17-Sep-09 21:41:34

How fabulous - really exciting for you grin

We need to know more details to be able to help you though - approx. height, size, colouring, current hair style, etc?

When are the MOBOs? How long do you have to prepare?

I bet a fiver that you are not a moose too grin

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 17-Sep-09 21:55:58

Message withdrawn

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 17-Sep-09 21:56:51

What a brilliant thing to do!

Accessories - right, if you are not a big jewellery wearer, suggest you stick to perhaps a necklace and/or some bangles. If you don't normally wear earrings don't bother, you will only get sore ear lobes! Waitrose and (don't laugh) Sainsburys do really good, cheap jewellery which you won't mind losing or breaking in the excitement. I reckon a chunky, silvery necklace and matching bracelets will look cool.

Shoes - have you got anything you could wear? Is probably not the best idea to wear new shoes if you are standing in a choir, what with all the rehearsals you will probably be on your feet a lot. If you do need to buy new ones, I would stick to ballet flats. They do some really nice ones in accessorise which have jewelled/sequinny bits on so are dressy. I wuld avoid new high heels like the plague.

Make up - do you normally wear any? I imagine you will get very hot so would be best to avoid trowelling it on. Take some with you in your bag to top up during the evening. I would have the following:
Foundation - you can spend a fortune, Rimmel and Maybelline do good cheap ones. Also get a book of press on powders from Body Shop - they suit all skin tones and take the shine off your skin, ideal when you;re under hot lights.
Neutral eyeshadow
Waterproof mascara
Cream blush - Tesco Make Up is really good
Lip gloss

Hair - I would go to hairdresser on the day and ask her to do it for you, I am useless with my hair and for special occasions this is what I would do

Have fun! What a brilliant thing to do.

TheMitsubishiWarrioress Thu 17-Sep-09 21:57:08

What an amazing opportunity doggie, there aren't many things I would envy the experience of but this may be one of them.

I would keep things simple and 'elegant' or you might not feel comfortable. I am not sure about hair as I don't have much myself, but something you don't have to worry about so you can focus on enjoying the evening. Mmm...hair 'up' with simple dangly earrings? Lots of the low price clothes shops have truck loads of costume jewellry that could be co-ordinated fairly inexpensively.

I would pick a celeb that has similar features/hair like yours and trawl images for a picture of her that you like and try to emulate that.

I really hope it is a fab evening for you smile

geordieminx Fri 18-Sep-09 13:29:37

Any chance you could get thee to Debenahms or Frasers in the afternoon and get a free makeover make-up trial?

doggiesayswoof Fri 18-Sep-09 13:53:02

Thank you all - I'm sorry I missed you last night. Had to get off puter.

My vitals. I am 5'7", not fat but not slim, pale with mid brown hair and brown eyes. My hair is a short bob with a fringe.

The robes are black and shapeless but we get to wear a scarf - bright jewel colours, I normally choose purple, I think it goes best with my colouring

The thing about shoes is that ballet flats look terrible with the robes. It's like you're wearing a nightie or something. But it will be a lot of standing around and obv our feet will not actually be visible during the performance

Make up and jewellery tips are brilliant - I will start looking around. The good thing is that I have a bit of time - it's at the end of Sept.

It is a brilliant opportunity and we are all so excited about it - apparently we are doing backing vocals but we don't know yet who we're performing with

doggiesayswoof Fri 18-Sep-09 14:00:58

Rindercella thanks for the non-moose comment - strangely cheered me up even though you have never set eyes on me grin

DreamsInBinary Sat 19-Sep-09 11:19:46

If you are wearing a purple scarf, perhaps you could get some dense, sparkly purple eyeshadow (urban decay are good, but so are superdrug smile). With pale skin a sweep of dramatic eye make-up would look stunning.

Statement cuff? Wallis had some marvellous sparkly ones in the summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now