Talk

Advanced search

Long hair? How do you wear it?

(19 Posts)
monkeysmama Thu 17-Sep-09 00:20:40

I have long-very long hair with some layers & the remanents of an ill advised 37 weeks pg short short fringe (17 months ago so it's growing out well).

I wash my hair every other day & immediately put it up in a band in a (messy) knot until the next wash pretty often.

How do you wear your long hair? How can I learn how to do French plaits etc?

TIA

Penthesileia Thu 17-Sep-09 00:24:41

I wear my long hair in a ponytail (high and low), or a bun (sometimes with chopsticks), or a plain pleat, or a French pleat, or French twist, or Saturday-style (half-ponytail), or with a headband, or just down. smile

Look on youtube. There are loads of tutorials for different hairstyles. It is dangerously addictive, though, and you will put your back out trying them all! grin

DubyahDotHoochieMomma Thu 17-Sep-09 00:43:08

Message withdrawn

thumbwitch Thu 17-Sep-09 00:56:28

hmmm, you all have too much time! Mine lives in a ponytail, day in, day out at the moment (but then DS is still 21mo and likes to pull it given half a chance)

Sometimes if it's hot I'll tie it round in a bun, or do this thing (I have no idea what it's called, if anything) where I only pull the hair halfway through the ponytail band on the last twist, to create a hair loop, and then tuck the stray ends in so it looks much neater (and shorter of course)

my hair is very fine though - plaits and french plaits look a bit ratty on me

Jumente Thu 17-Sep-09 05:27:09

I don't do anything scraped back/high forehead kind of styles as I look better with a bit of forehead covering, at my age wink

so generally I will wash my hair, leave it to dry naturally, then hope nobody notices how unbrushed it is. Second day I will brush it, usually keep it loose or possibly a ponytail if I feel 'smart'.

I am growing out a fringe too so keep it to one side using a pin. Looks a bit untidy but not much I can do until it grows! I have a natural side parting and have gone back to this as it suits me better.

My hair only looks Ok when it's long.
I keep cutting it after every baby, luckily it grew back quick this time and is already midway between shoulder and boob. However i have a very long neck so it would be longer otherwise grin

It also looks nice up in a kind of random swirled bun thing low down at the back - secured with several hundred pins, with odds and ends falling off at the sides.

Jumente Thu 17-Sep-09 05:30:30

Thumbwitch, mine is also quite thin - but has wave if not too oily, so that helps me out.
I think you are right that slightly less formal ideas work better on thin hair. It gives it a bit of body to have loose ends and drifting bits at the sides...

I do the same with the loop thing, but don't bother tucking anything in as it is usually when I am sat at the computer or out. It probably looks awful!

I love the plait as headband idea, and have wanted to do this for literally years but it just doesn't suit me. You need a fairly low forehead for that.

noddyholder Thu 17-Sep-09 08:53:55

I am also growing out a fringe!I plait the front sometimes too very effective with hair up or down.Otherwise a loose bun with a side fringe clipped with something nice.When I wear it down it generally falls into a side parting and I don't do much with it.If I am looking my best ie not knackered I sometimes wear it in a high bun or ponytail.I love the versatility and hated the fringe

MitchyInge Thu 17-Sep-09 08:58:26

in a long, uncombed and straggly sunbleached tangled mess

am sure this is a look that will come into fashion one day

CMOTdibbler Thu 17-Sep-09 08:59:20

I mostly wear mine twisted up and clipped with an ibis clip.

Currently its down with a headband, also wear a very high bun (DH says I look like a dominatrix, but I like it), ponytail or plait

monkeysmama Thu 17-Sep-09 10:09:51

Thanks! Like the plait as headband idea. Seems a pity to have such a long mane & apart from the occasional plait to keep it knotted up.

mollyroger Thu 17-Sep-09 10:15:35

Mine is long, thick, and layered with a layered fringe. (centre parting)
I have it long for work, tied in a loose nape bun for when it is blowy or I am cooking, sometimes a pony tail. It is layered so french pleats don't work. Sometimes I do a wide, funky headband.

RubyrubyrubyRevel Thu 17-Sep-09 10:17:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tortington Thu 17-Sep-09 10:23:31

down almost always - but if i have poncey meeting i might put it up into a ponytail with a high front thing - iykwim - on the top.

love chopsticks - piece of piss to put up

what i love to do is gather hair at base of neck, twist upwards so you have that elegant 'tucked-in' look, then clip at the top ( or chop stick it) then with the left over ends, back comb or curl or whatever

i have much dificulty in finding a clip to hold my hair up with.

my hair is too thick and they break.

i also like a nice alice band for that fresh look

Tortington Thu 17-Sep-09 10:25:09

also dont know if this has been mentioned - but instead of having the lacky band on show for a pony tail, wrap round a portion of hair to cover the band and then pin underneath.

looks more elegant

noddyholder Thu 17-Sep-09 15:11:22

lady muck grin!

NoahDear Thu 17-Sep-09 15:15:40

god custy yours sounds fab

BunnyLebowski Thu 17-Sep-09 15:18:19

I love that tip custy - read it years ago and use it a lot now. Makes your ponytail look so much more polished.

I have long very thick hair.

At the moment my favourite thing to do with it is pull the top layers back and smuush it up with a bit of back-combing and then pin it up.

this kinda look but not as pretty as Miss Moore sadly

Otherwise it's a messy bun thing with strands pulled out or down and wavy.

I've recently realised that rather than straightening my hair to death and looking flat headed texture is my friend! I'm all about the volume and waves now!

mollyroger Thu 17-Sep-09 16:27:29

if you have long hair in layers, tying it in a bun while slightly damp gives you lovely foxy random waves and curls when you release it!

Tortington Sat 19-Sep-09 01:27:17

oh i agree

also love getting those little elestic bobbles and wash dry your hair so its fresh and then make mini buns

spritz it with some fixing stuff

curly hair!

i have no layers so it doesn;t last all night

also would love suggestions on some good spritzing stuff if you have any

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now