Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Smelly Birkenstocks - Is there a cure???

(12 Posts)
dietstartstomorrow Wed 16-Sep-09 13:30:41

blush

missmelly Wed 16-Sep-09 14:17:06

yup
throw them out grin

vjg13 Wed 16-Sep-09 15:24:10

Isn't there something about putting cat litter on them and leaving it a few days, or maybe bicarbonate of soda???

PrincessToadstool Wed 16-Sep-09 15:27:12

After some extensive googling, the best answer I found was to spray them with febreeze, then sling them in the freezer (in a carrier) for a few hours. Or was it the other way around. Either way, febreeze will sort the smell, the freezer will kill any <boak> bacteria on them.

AnyFucker Wed 16-Sep-09 15:37:05

how strange

I have Birkies that last me a few years (am a serial Birkie wearer) and they have never smelled bad

you must have rancid feet grin

< runs >

dietstartstomorrow Wed 16-Sep-09 19:39:41

grin blush

Oh god, my stinky birks are <cough's> this seasons too!

Will try the fabreeze.

blush again!

cocolepew Wed 16-Sep-09 19:41:35

Rub them with a baby wipe.

millenniumfalcon Wed 16-Sep-09 19:41:55

when my running shoes get a bit stinky i sprinkle bicarb inside them and leave overnight, works a treat.

dexter73 Wed 16-Sep-09 19:47:08

I have heard of the freezer method too. It kills the bacteria that create the pong. Think I will have to bung dhs trainers in as they reek!

MmeLindt Wed 16-Sep-09 19:48:57

I always had pongy Birkenstock after a good year of wear. Minging.

That is why I now wear Crocs (as slippers, not out of the house)

ADifferentMe Thu 17-Sep-09 09:27:44

Wonder if I could sprinkle DH's feet with bicarb and put them in the freezer?

fishie Thu 17-Sep-09 09:30:24

i am sure i saw a thread where people were bunging them in the washing machine. it doesn't sound a very good idea though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: