Talk

Advanced search

I need a reasonably priced lovely dress for my 25th birthday cocktail party in 3 weeks - help!

(13 Posts)
BrightShinySun Mon 14-Sep-09 21:55:43

Ok, so I've got three weeks until my 25th birthday party. I've never had a birthday party so we're trying to make it really amazing! But...I need a dress!!

I'm about a size 12, I want something that will make everyone go WOW but don't have a lot of money....I need help!! I'm thinking websites, actual dresses that people have seen, anything really, I just need help!

Only specifications other than costs;
1.It cannot be very tight fitting; I am a bit lumpy and bumpy and would like to feel glamorous for the evening not like I'm all on show. Am quite happy to wear big hold-it-all-in pants to help with this though.
2.It cannot be dragging on the floor, the party is indoors and out and I don't really want to be dragging it through the mud. (However I don't want it to be so short it shows my bum!)

Sorry if that seems a bit much but I've tried looking about and can't find the perfect thing unless I want to spend like £300 so thought I would ask for the collective wisdom of MN!! grin

GoneCuckoo Mon 14-Sep-09 21:59:40

This?

GoneCuckoo Mon 14-Sep-09 22:04:26

Or This?

gemmiegoatlegs Mon 14-Sep-09 22:08:04

something like this

or this

gemmiegoatlegs Mon 14-Sep-09 22:09:02

just to confirm , is that £300 budget?

MoreCrackThanHarlem Mon 14-Sep-09 22:12:55

Lots of gorgeous dresses in French Connection ATM, most are between £90 and £150 but look fab on. I am a size 12 too and I love their stuff as its structured enough to be revealing and flattering at the same time.
Plus they have a sale ATM, I bought a lovely coral dress with a large bow on one shoulder, reduced from £110 to £55. Hth.

pickyvic Mon 14-Sep-09 22:13:45

ive just clicked a link somewhere on MN to the Coast website - they have some spectacular dresses on there - and ones that look really flattering.

Ewe Mon 14-Sep-09 22:14:43

This is gorgeous for £50 and should hide any bumpy bits.

tethersend Mon 14-Sep-09 22:15:10

How about this or this?

I like the second one- clingy, yes, but the pattern would address that.

I just put it in because I want it, I really have no idea what you're after smile

If it were me, I would get onto ebay and buy a really good vintage cocktail dress; something from the 50s/60s that no-one will have; should be within a reasonable budget...

Good luck!

Bleh Mon 14-Sep-09 22:16:46

What sort of colouring do you have?

pickyvic Mon 14-Sep-09 22:17:52

look at these

gorgeous!

www.coast-stores.com/fcp/categorylist/dept/all-dresses?resetFilters=true&cm_re=2-_-Box_2-_-Perfect+D ress

if i ever get a stone off im going to buy myself one just to stare at!

Ewe Mon 14-Sep-09 22:18:20

This is pretty but look at all the dresses, Joy is a great shop.

BrightShinySun Tue 15-Sep-09 09:11:56

Oh my gosh you lot are amazing....why am I so incapable of finding dresses like that! No gemmie my budget is definately not £300 as much as I would love it to be!!

Thank you for all your replies some lovely lovely dresses I am sure I can find the perfect one out of those....Theres so many nice ones I might have to have a couple and do a sleb style dress change mid party!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now