Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I'd love to do smoky dark eye make up but everytime I try, I end up looking like Amy Winehouse

(14 Posts)
MamaG Mon 14-Sep-09 14:54:13

hmm

I can't view youtube so don't tell me to watch irish lady

I LOVE eyeliner and wera it every day, but not in a smoky eyes way iykwim

com eon, gizza cl ue

AstronomyDomine Mon 14-Sep-09 14:56:38

ooh me too; it always looks a mess when I try anything beyond mascara and a bit of eye liner...
bump

MakemineaGandT Mon 14-Sep-09 14:57:43

posted the very same message last night (see eyeshadow query below...). Some helpful answers...

MamaG Mon 14-Sep-09 14:58:03

Thanks for the bump posted 2 minutes afer OP grin grin

PuppyMonkey Mon 14-Sep-09 14:58:56

Nah, it makes you look like a drug addict that way. And that's my opinion even when I see it done right on a gorgeous model. Just stick to the way you are doing it now!! grin

AstronomyDomine Mon 14-Sep-09 15:00:16

sorry - just marking the thread grin

MamaG Mon 14-Sep-09 15:00:48

I think I'm too fat to lok like a drug addict

cyteen Mon 14-Sep-09 15:01:20

Not sure you'll be able to see this, but try here

AstronomyDomine Mon 14-Sep-09 15:02:04

hahaha me too MamaG grin

Bleh Mon 14-Sep-09 15:10:42

I think you need to avoid using black, but rather use something like dark brown or grey (depending on your colouring). Also, don't put eyeshadow all over your lid: guaranteed to give the punched in face look, but instead just put the darkest shade just above your lash line, and paler colours on the lid.

Bleh Mon 14-Sep-09 15:11:29

Another thing is: if you're not used to seeing yourself wearing more make-up, it will appear that you've trowled it on.

MamaG Mon 14-Sep-09 15:19:13

I need to get togehter with a mate and do each other

as it were

nikki1978 Mon 14-Sep-09 17:11:05

Don't use eyeliner use dark brown eyeshadow and a thin brush like this:-

content.nordstrom.com/ImageGallery/store/product/MediumLarge/13/_37993.jpg

Then you can get the smoky effect as it is not a harsh line. I use it on the top and lower outside corner of my eye with lighter brown colours for the brow bone etc (although you could use any others really).

mrswill Mon 14-Sep-09 20:08:19

you could try Benefits 'smokin eyes', its a collection of eyeshadows etc and has a lesson inside it to do smoky eyes. Its brilliant, ive never managed to do successful smoky eyes before it and i used to do makeup for a side earner!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: